Championship and Lower League Discussion 2010/11

patiirc

Can Cardiff appeal something they wernt a part of though? Surely only QPR or the Football League could appeal any decision?

I think so, isn't it like Sheffield Utd when West Ham had Tevez etc?

Well done QPR, excited to see them in the Premier League next year, and that means another London club in the Premiership...but hey maybe one less if West Ham go down :thumbsup:

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Good game to watch today against Coventry, terrific atmosphere as you'd expect on a day like this. Who knows what'll happen next season. I'm too merry as I type this to say anything too coherent, but here's to our brilliant season and here's to the next season. Riverside is rocking as I type this on the phone. Good times!

• Paid Members

3-0 over a Snooze-Mode Hull (to be kind). They played like they just could not give two shits about anything and were pretty much happy to let us do what we liked with the ball, and that it was 1-0 in the 3rd minute and 2-0 in the 15th stated that we were going to oblige, but we didn't do anything fantastic for the most part either. Marv Elliott played out of his skin today and was unlucky to get at least three by himself, and our youth-injected defense didn't have a great deal to deal with but looked good. If only we'd have brought them in sooner. Jamal Campbell-Ryce found himself one-on-one to end the scoring and what can only really be described as an ambivalent season - sublime in two places, horrendous in two others and an opportunity to give Keith his first proper off-season to sort the wheat from a great deal of chaff, get new blood and hopefully reduce the wage bill too.

We also said goodbye to Chairman Steve Lansdown. Except for a rocky patch around Brian Tinnion's departure few have a bad word to say about him- careful with his pockets, expectant of results, football-savy, diplomatic, ambitious and persistent. His successor (and our former CEO) Colin Sexstone has got some boots to fill.

Holla!

Can anyone tell me anything about how any Liverpool loanees have been doing?

Stephen Darby @ Notts County

Well, let me put it this way. He doesn't have a future at Liverpool. League One is his level.

But I thought he largely did okay for a young lad thrust into a struggling team. He always put in a good shift and his pace was an enormous asset to a team with central defenders so slow a horn blows when they turn around. I'm thinking particularly of our vital away win at Swindon where he conjured up a few vital goal line saves at 0-1 down.

Doesn't offer too much going forward - not a wing back by any stretch of the imagination - but can put in a good cross from deep in midfield. Prone to occasional lapses in judgement, such as a short back-pass which allowed Bristol Rovers to nip in and bagsy a rare away win a few months ago.

I'd be happy to see him back here. I don't think we will though. He's been in and out of the team under Martin Allen and was an unused substitute today v Brighton, which is a bad sign considering we lined up with four central midfielders across the back line.

EDIT: I also saw Nathan Eccleston play against Notts for Charlton this season. He looked like a real livewire up front, but was extremely wasteful in front of goal, even going so far as to miss a couple of one-on-ones. That's based on one appearance, though.

What an unbelievable day yesterday was. News filtered in around 12pm that there would be no points deduction and from then on it was just an incredible party experience and proof that nothing brings a community together like having success in football.

The game was irrelavent. The players and the fans didn't give a shit win, lose or draw we just wanted the full time whistle to come along, the trophy to be brought out and "We Are The Champions" to be played and have a big old sing along.

Few tears around the ground and I have to admit to feeling a bit choked up when the announcer said we'd been waiting 15 years for this moment. It made me think about Gillingham away on a Tuesday night, losing to Blackpool away and the coach taking seemingly an eternity to get back to London and doubting whether I'd ever see QPR back in the top division in my lifetime.

The party in Shepherds Bush was amazing. Seemingly the whole of the crowd had gone to the pubs, lined the Uxbridge road singing at the top of our voices. Just absolutely incredible.

Can't wait to see players like Rooney, Fabregas, Modric, Nani, Tevez, in person and I'm just going to enjoy the ride of Premiership football.

THIS is what football is all about. I despair when I read Man U fans saying the worst moment of their lives was watching a team with Rooney, Ronaldo lose 3-0 to Norwich and finish 3rd in the Premier League. You guys want to try supporting a side where disappointment and failure are usually the norm.

In short, I love football at the moment. I love Neil Warnock, I love Adel Taarabt (even though he can be a big baby just as often as he can be a spectacular player), I love Shaun Derry, Paddy Kenny and Alejandro Faurlin and now just can't wait for the fixture list next season!

• Paid Members
What an unbelievable day yesterday was. News filtered in around 12pm that there would be no points deduction and from then on it was just an incredible party experience and proof that nothing brings a community together like having success in football.

The game was irrelavent. The players and the fans didn't give a shit win, lose or draw we just wanted the full time whistle to come along, the trophy to be brought out and "We Are The Champions" to be played and have a big old sing along.

Few tears around the ground and I have to admit to feeling a bit choked up when the announcer said we'd been waiting 15 years for this moment. It made me think about Gillingham away on a Tuesday night, losing to Blackpool away and the coach taking seemingly an eternity to get back to London and doubting whether I'd ever see QPR back in the top division in my lifetime.

The party in Shepherds Bush was amazing. Seemingly the whole of the crowd had gone to the pubs, lined the Uxbridge road singing at the top of our voices. Just absolutely incredible.

Can't wait to see players like Rooney, Fabregas, Modric, Nani, Tevez, in person and I'm just going to enjoy the ride of Premiership football.

THIS is what football is all about. I despair when I read Man U fans saying the worst moment of their lives was watching a team with Rooney, Ronaldo lose 3-0 to Norwich and finish 3rd in the Premier League. You guys want to try supporting a side where disappointment and failure are usually the norm.

In short, I love football at the moment. I love Neil Warnock, I love Adel Taarabt (even though he can be a big baby just as often as he can be a spectacular player), I love Shaun Derry, Paddy Kenny and Alejandro Faurlin and now just can't wait for the fixture list next season!

Good on you, I'm actually glad you didn't get the deduction. Although we haven't been waiting nearly as long as you to get back into the Prem, I too have similar memories of tough away games in midweek and other League One and Championship adventures that came flooding back to me in the last week or so. Norwich was rocking yesterday all over the city, even more so than a year ago after winning the League One title. Though I didn't blubber like I did on Monday, Carrow Road definately brought noise yesterday and seeing the players milk it to the max was brilliant.

Here's hoping we both do ok next season. Well done to QPR, who regardless of all the off-field stuff have been far and away the best team in the division this season. Worthy Champions. Warnock is a bit of marmite manager, but I like the guy and despite him shooting his mouth once too often, he actually strikes me as quite a genuine guy who you'd enjoy a pint with away from the game.

I agree with you about Warnock, I haven't followed his career that closely so I don't understand some of the hate he receieves, the last few interviews I've seen of his he appears like a top quality bloke.

Who's everyones picks for the play offs?

Who do you want to go up and who do you think will go up?

Well my mum is originally from sheffield and I think that's why I've always liked him. Sometimes he goes overboard but you could never call him dull!

As for the play-offs I think the winner of the Forest-Swansea match will go up. With that said I'm predicting a Forest-Reading final.

EDIT: A Swansea-Cardiff final at Wembley would be quite the spectacle.

In terms of away days its great to see QPR & Norwich come up with hopefully Forest to follow as well (always a cracking weekend up in Nottingham).

Yeah I hope Forest go up, it would be a very Old Skool feeling Premiership if we have QPR, Norwich and Forest, but honestly I wouldn't mind finally seeing a Welsh team get to the big time...

• Paid Members

No disrespect to Forest or Reading, but I think a Cardiff/Swansea final is on the cards. At least on paper, those two sides look the best suited to progress.

Swansea are my pick. Brendan Rogers is doing a terrific job there and unlike Cardiff, who seemingly don't have the bottle at present (Or too much of it, if the reports of their drinking spree are anything to go by), I think Swansea have the discipline and the flair to go all the way. I don't think Forest quite have enough in the tank and Reading won't be good enough defensively to stop the likes of Scott Sinclair. Mind you, the very nature of the play-offs determines that anything can happen on a given day, so by that logic any of the four could wind up in the Premiership at the end of it.

• Paid Members
nicko, question for you, what was the trophy your lot got presented with after the game? thought it was only the champions and playoff winners that got one

PromotionLambert1.jpg

A lil' somethin' somethin' for being runners up I guess. Must be the first season they've introduced it, but I think there's always been runners up medals and a presentation of some sort. Looks quite nice actually. Not saying this just because we did it, but I think if a play-off winning team get a trophy then a team that finished above them should probably get something as well really.

Here's hoping we get one next season for finishing 17th!

Archived