Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

I know it's been a while since anyone posted in here but I thought instead of starting a new thread I might aswell find this one and post in here. Anyway I was recently visiting family in Ireland and visited a book shop (the sort of bookshop where they sell second hand and new books and have the different sections ie, Sport, Music etc but the books are in no particular order there). Whilst I was scanning through the sports section I came across a book called Wrestling's 101 Strangest Matches. Knowing that I'd be waiting in an airport and then getting the plane back I thought I may as well take a chance on it and it did look quite interesting and I am very happy I did. I am over half way through the book now and it does have some fairly recent matches noted in there and a few famous well talked about ones from back in the day but I have read quite a few which I never even knew about and it is an incredibly entertaining book. I need to get some time to try and locate some of these matches on Youtube or something as I'd love to see them, although I know some will be extremely hard to find and some may not have even been taped. For anyone who likes books like that though I would highly recommend this one.

Chris Jericho's first book, and Bret Hart's book for me are the best wrestling books on the market. Slightly biased as they are two of my favourite wrestlers ever, and I'd enjoy their tales no matter what. But seeing as there is so much objective acclaim aimed at both, I doubt its just my fan boyism jism.

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed Bischoff's book, not sure whats true and whats his version of events but it is a different take on things and he does admit a lot of mistakes on his part so it seems like a reasonably fair account of things, only thing is its a WWE publication so there is bound to be a bit of arse kissing along the way

Eric Bischoff' book is a brilliant read for anyone who wants to know about the wrestling business behind the scene's, I read the book and found it to be a really great insight on how to promote a wrestling promotion. I loved Eric's way of thinking outside the box and creating controversy. What I feel can't be denied is that Eric took a company that was in the toilet and turned it around with fresh and unique ideas. Eric is not afraid to admit his mistakes towards the end his WCW run but also brings up key issues as to why the blame shouldn't be totally put on his toes. His book may have sum un-truths and twised facts but I still found it a brilliant read.

My all time favourite book which I couldn't recommend anymore is Freddie Blassie's book, after reading his book I have no trouble in saying that while Flair and Hogan are arguably the kings of wrestling...Freddie Blassie is the god. I didn't know a great deal about Freddie before reading the book except that he was a well loved and respected man within the wrestling business and by the last sentence of the book I joined them in that love and respect. He came across as a hardworking, professional, decent human being who loved the wrestling business dearly. He pulls no punches on naming the people he disliked but on the other hand overloads the people he respected and liked with praise which is very endearing. The term legend gets used a lot in pro-wrestling but theres no other word that could be used better when talking about Freddie Blassie! BUY IT!!!

Also I highly recommend NWA:The Untold Story of the Monopoly That Strangled Pro Wrestling its a fasinating read for anybody who wants to learn about the very early days of wrestling leading upto the 80's.

I really can't understand why people would want to read a book by Batista who has about as much depth as a glass of water when you could read about true legends of the business like Gorgeous George (which is another brilliant book), Lou Thesz etc....

On a side note does anybody know when Hacksaw Jim Duggan's book comes out in the UK?

• 3 weeks later...