Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading Slamthology. I really enjoyed the first part with the road diaries (especially I've visited quite a few of those places) but wasn't too fussed about most of the articles as I'm not a big fan of 'What If....' type pieces. Overall a nice little read though. Just one point though - if they ever re-print it may be worth proofing it first. The spelling at times was terrible. I'm now half way through Wrestlecrap and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Not the best written book but it's good fun and a real trip down memory lane. Next up 'The Cowboy and The Cross' by Bill Watts

Ok - can anyone tell me if the following are any good:

Wrestling at the Chase

The Dusty Rhodes book

The Stonecold Truth

Of those, I've only read Wrestling At The Chase. It's pretty cool as an insight into how Sam Muchnick ran his operation. I love the idea of the wee boxes of cards showing the finish of every match anyone had ever had in St. Louis so that when they booked him next time they could use that finish to lead into something else. It's probably pretty sugar-coated because Larry Matysik has such a boner for Muchnick, but he doesn't blatantly bullshit you so it's probably not all lies.

Agree with Kenny, Wrestling at the Chase is a good read. The Stone Cold Truth is one of those WWE books you read and you're alwats wondering how word-for-word it actually is Austin speaking/writing and how much effort is the ghost writer. Nothing truly earth shattering is revealed, things are skipped on (such as not thinking JJ, HHH were at his level in 99 etc) and issues are only skimmed on certain great matches etc. Worth a read if it's going cheap I guess. The Making of Bloodstained Memoirs was a good Kindle read for 80p

Is the Death of WCW worth reading? Or is it the same old "Russo killed it" stuff you can hear elsewhere? Is there much insightful content?

It's worth reading, but it's very full of 2003 wanky-wanky content and should be taken with enough salt to comatose a rhino.

• Paid Members

I still think its a great book, with a fair conclusion. But they do have the knives out for (and protect) certain people.

What I liked most about it was the evaluation of WCW's successes. People are more educated now, but for years non WCW fans would just regurgitate inaccurate soundbites off the Monday Night Wars dvd. The book gives a lot more insight. It covers the whole life of WCW too, not just the dying years

Its a pretty chunky book too, loads of stuff in there. I'd definitely get it, especially if you were a WCW fan at the time.

Edited by Rob Lowe