Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Paid Members
In what way did Jericho "suck off Jesus on every page"?

He never stops banging on about his faith. If I want to read about religion I'll buy a Bible.

Idiot. The books pretty good as well, better than the second one. I think he mentions his religion at least twice in the book. Once when his mom gets paralyzed and then later on when he moves to Atlanta for WCW. I'd hardly call two big references to his religion "suck off Jesus on every page". The savior doesn't even get a name check. Not to mention what's wrong with the references anyway. It's not like he's trying to convert his readers. Why do you think his stories are full of shit? It's not like Hogan's first book (love the bloke but it's full of bollocks), most of the stories seem highly likely, I'm not saying they are true, but they don't rank much in the 'that's bullshit' column.

The Jesus criticisms are miles off, but the rest of WC's little critique was spot on. I enjoyed the book as a quick read, but sided with Jericho about 0.1% of the time with his stories, which is odd for an autobiography. I think my general dislike for him today had a pretty big impact on how I read it though - he doesn't make me laugh anymore, I can't even pretend to enjoy three quarters of the bands he gabs on about, and I've stopped rating him as a pro-wrestler.

I preferred it to his first though, I'd rather read about a guy's WWE career than any other area of it, so it gets points from me there.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going through my books the other day to see which to give to the charity shop when I realised that if it hadn't been a christmas present I would've got rid of Foley's second book ages ago

I remember reading it when I got it thinking "this really isn't anywhere near as good as the first one" and when he does that interminable study about the PTC and all that it just makes you want to rip your eyes out (or just put the book down)

Still better than Goldberg's though, nothing will ever touch that for being absolute shite

He just comes across as really unlikeable, plus from what I remember he has a whole chapter in which he goes on about how they came up with his gimmick which could have been summed up with "I wanted to look hard and not lose"

To be fair it is 11 years since I got it, Maybe I hated it so much because I paid about

I just got a copy of this book through the post 3 days ago. I had to get it from a self publishing company which took a little while but it can be downloaded on PDF and other e readers or what ever you call them pretty cheap (

Edited by Stormy Weathers

Last week I received the KIng of New Orleans the JYD book I bought on Amazon, here is the review I put on Amazon after reading....

I was very much looking forward to this book being released and as soon as it became available I ordered it. Iv read a lot of wrestling autobiographies over the past few years and mainly prefer reading books from wrestlers who have been in the business from the 60's 70's and 80's i.e Ric Flair, Ted Dibiase, Harley Race. I enjoy reading about the territory days and the backstage antics wrestlers of those days got upto as well as learning new things about those days. Reading about what wrestlers thought of each other personally and personal opinions on events that took place and matches they were involved in, if l like me you also enjoy reading books like that then AVOID THIS BOOK AT ALL COSTS which pains me to say as I was really looking forward to reading all that stuff about a wrestler who I didn't really know a lot about, the Junkyard Dog.

They infomation given in this book could be easily found by looking on the internet, on wikipedia for example which at times whilst reading this book I wondered if they author actually did get his info from their. They author fails big time to go into any great depth about any period of JYD's career and something that really stood out which bugged me a lot whilst reading was that they author tended to repeat a lot of what he said previous e.g. How JYD got his name the Junkjard Dog and racial issues in wrestling during the 70's and 80's and how Bill Watts was in need of a Black star, its all covered within the first few pages of the book but gets mentioned from time to time throughout the book which wasn't needed.

Ultimately for me it felt as though the author before writting this book had no clue who JYD was and more than likely isn't even a big wrestling fan (he makes a couple of factual errors at certain points during the book) to cover this up and to fill pages he instead gives short un-nessacary bio's of wrestlers which in a small way are interesting but have no place in a book that supposed to be about a single person. There's a section in the book were for around 10 or more pages, JYD isn't even mentioned, instead we are given a more in depth bio of 'Cowboy' Bill Watts. Key moments in the career of JYD are skimmed over e.g. How he became signed with WWE and his time in WCW, his personal family life is very rare mentioned so you don't for a second feel as though your getting to know the Slyvester Ritter the person and family man away from the business.

Obviously due to his sad death (which is sadly covered in a short depthless paragraph) JYD wasn't able to write a book about his life and career which would have been a fasinating and excellent read I believe due to the fact JYD was a huge, money drawing star who did indeed break down walls as far as being the first hugely popular black star of wrestling, instead were given a quick glossed over account of his career which totally fails to be an enjoyable read. I'd of rather had no book based on JYD than this which does very little in the way of drawing much needed attention on arguably a forgotten but legendary wrestling superstar. It sadly falls way short of being a must-read.

The books I do recommend are....the Freddie Blassie book which is a excellent read for anyone who wants an insight on the old territory days from the view point of in my opinion a wrestling god. Eric Bishcoff's book is a really brilliant read as our Shawn Michaels and Bret Harts.

I'm really looking forward to reading the upcoming book on Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka I hope and pray its nothing like the JYD book but then again with Snuka still being alive it will be written or at least guided by the man himself.

The books I do recommend are....the Freddie Blassie book which is a excellent read for anyone who wants an insight on the old territory days from the view point of in my opinion a wrestling god.

Blassie's is the only book I've read about a guy from the generation before I became a fan.

Because of that (never seen his matches, didn't know much about any major angles from his career) I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it but I did very much. :thumbsup:

Ultimately for me it felt as though the author before writting this book had no clue who JYD was and more than likely isn't even a big wrestling fan (he makes a couple of factual errors at certain points during the book) to cover this up and to fill pages he instead gives short un-nessacary bio's of wrestlers which in a small way are interesting but have no place in a book that supposed to be about a single person. There's a section in the book were for around 10 or more pages, JYD isn't even mentioned, instead we are given a more in depth bio of 'Cowboy' Bill Watts. Key moments in the career of JYD are skimmed over e.g. How he became signed with WWE and his time in WCW, his personal family life is very rare mentioned so you don't for a second feel as though your getting to know the Slyvester Ritter the person and family man away from the business.

I read this a couple of months ago myself. I actually enjoyed the book a lot more than you did, however, your comment I have bolded above is spot on. It might just be my memory but I seem to recall several sections in the book where JYD is not mentioned for pages. At times I kind of got the impression that the author was caught between writing a bio on JYD and writing the history of the Mid-south territory (and not really achieving either in the end).

Like I said, I did enjoy it, but it was covering both a wrestler and a territory that I know very little about - if I was more knowledgable about these things my opinion may have been different.

It's a book about how and why a wrestling company went from being arguably the biggest and most successful in the world to being out of business in the space of 3 short years.

How can they tell that story without finger pointing? :confused:

Yeah, I probably worded my point badly there. The first pages spelled out that it was all the fault of Nash and Hogan for still getting booked at the top of the card into the 2000

It's a book about how and why a wrestling company went from being arguably the biggest and most successful in the world to being out of business in the space of 3 short years.

How can they tell that story without finger pointing? :confused:

Yeah, I probably worded my point badly there. The first pages spelled out that it was all the fault of Nash and Hogan for still getting booked at the top of the card into the 2000