Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Moderators

It's been a while since I threw RD Reynolds' books in the bin, but I think there was some stuff in there double standard wise if you look at Scott Hall and Eddie Guerrero which sticks in the craw somewhat. Also, RD Reynolds and Alvarez aren't funny. They are annoying. They should fuck off.

• Paid Members

Dopper: If you don't see the double standards in constantly taking the piss out of Scott Hall for his personal issues, and lambasting WCW for not firing him, but then later on go on to lambast WCW for not making a big deal out of Eddie Guerrero's return from falling asleep at the wheel of his car, then there's really not much point in me giving loads of examples, is there? Your mind's already made up.

Just in case anyone who hasn't read the book is in doubt about how laughably biased it is. After hundreds of words, literally, mocking Scott Hall, his alcoholism, and WCW's inability to take action against him, here's a line from their comment upon Guerrero's return:

Despite having nearly died in a car wreck earlier in the year, his return was presented as an afterthought.

No mocking, calls for him to be fired or even a single criticism. No, WCW SHOULD HAVE PUT MORE FOCUS ON HIM!!!

But that was six months after the car wreck, maybe they'd got all their mocking and calls for him to be fired out of their system. In fact I wonder what caused him to fall asleep in the first place? Let's go back and read their account of what happened that night:

In other bad news, Eddy Guerrero was involved in a serious car accident that almost killed him. He fell asleep at the wheel on New Year's Eve and crashed...

Yup. He just fell asleep at the wheel. In the same book where just pages beforehand they dedicated an entire paragraph giving a detailed account of the night Scott Hall got drunk and SCRATCHED A LIMOUSINE WITH A KEY!!! They don't even mention what caused one of their favourites to fall asleep at the wheel of his car and endanger peoples lives. If that's not double standards, then nothing is.

The book's a joke.

P.S. This post is dedicated to Hunter and Steph, lol.

Just wanted to mention for anyone interested in British Wrestling from the 70's 80's and 90's, I recently read Orig Williams autobiography "El Bandito". Definatly worth a read as it mentions Big Daddy, Haystacks, Regal etc. as well as giving a bit of history of the origins of British wrestling and life on the British scene in the 80's. As well as that it gives a bit of history of the Reslo TV series on S4C that became popular after World of Sport was taken off the air.

Just thought I'd mention it ...

Dopper: If you don't see the double standards in constantly taking the piss out of Scott Hall for his personal issues, and lambasting WCW for not firing him, but then later on go on to lambast WCW for not making a big deal out of Eddie Guerrero's return from falling asleep at the wheel of his car, then there's really not much point in me giving loads of examples, is there? Your mind's already made up.

The book's a joke.

I'm not in denial about the whole thing, there were literally 2 sentences regarding that Eddy incident in the 300 page book so it's not something that immediately stood out to me. I agree with you, that is a double standard.

I would say that the difference with Scott Hall is that so much of his drug & alcohol problems played out in the public eye.

Him being sent home for arriving in no condition to work, the keying the limo incident, him & his wife taking it in turns to do radio shows saying she kicked him out then they were getting remarried then she kicked him out again. Nash mentioning him in promos on Nitro every week against writers wishes, and so on. In the pre-internet days it was Power Slam reporting something about Hall's demons almost every month from 1998 to 2000.

As for taking the piss out of Hall: there were a few points where that is the case, but more cases of them taking the piss out of WCW for keeping him on their payroll and on TV for so long when he should not have been.

Just got back from a month in the USA where I picked up a ton of books (my poor suitcase weight allowance!) got Dutch Mantells 2nd book, George South's, Bil Dundee and Terry Funks's books amongst others. Started reading Terry Funk's and am surprised at what a great book this is. I haven't put it down!

• Moderators
I'm not in denial about the whole thing, there were literally 2 sentences regarding that Eddy incident in the 300 page book so it's not something that immediately stood out to me. I agree with you, that is a double standard.

I would say that the difference with Scott Hall is that so much of his drug & alcohol problems played out in the public eye.

Him being sent home for arriving in no condition to work, the keying the limo incident, him & his wife taking it in turns to do radio shows saying she kicked him out then they were getting remarried then she kicked him out again. Nash mentioning him in promos on Nitro every week against writers wishes, and so on. In the pre-internet days it was Power Slam reporting something about Hall's demons almost every month from 1998 to 2000.

As for taking the piss out of Hall: there were a few points where that is the case, but more cases of them taking the piss out of WCW for keeping him on their payroll and on TV for so long when he should not have been.

Well, RD and Chico could have at least made likght of Eddie as well. But it goes back to Raven's "favourites get a free pass" theory.

I know they have only recently come out but has anybody read, King of New Orleans the story of the Junkyard Dog or From Prison to Promise by Booker T? Iv just ordered both, I'm looking forward to reading both but I'm a little nervous about the JYD one as its written by somebody else and because of his sad death its not going to have anything personally written by JYD and I'm hoping that its not going to be a book based on very little fact and ultimatly not very in depth I.e. Skimming over criticial points in his career etc. But fingers crossed I'm going to be wrong as I'm a big fan of JYD and I can imagine a book written properly could be highly interesting and entertaining.

The only reason I'm wanting to get the Booker T one is to read about his time in prison and the backround leading upto it. Also I'm interested in knowing his 2 cents on WCW as he was there from the early 90's.

Just finished Jericho's first book on me kindle. He comes across as an ingratiating fuckwit with terrible taste in music. Awful jokes, perhaps because his publisher nudged him toward writing for a childish audience. Some interesting anecdotes but I suspect he's full of shit. And like every single American/Canadian who feels the need to write a book he has to suck off Jesus on every page which gets incredibly tedious. Having said that, I read it in 3 days and don't feel worse off for it.