Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

just finished Undisputed, not as good as A Lions Tale, but still really good read. A lot more non-wrestling stuff that i didnt really care for as much, a part from the bit on his DUI arrest. the stuff about him not quite fitting in at wwe to begin with was really good stuff and i echo what was said as far as the insight into vince's character, like him talking on end out of nowhere about the old times. one thing that jarred with me with this book, was that jericho's humour came off as incredibly corny at times, and some of the pop culture references were really unnecessary or didnt have as much zing, as others. i cant remember it sticking out as much in the first book, but i enjoyed most anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Im reading the rise and fall of ECW at the moment, ok as it goes into a bit more depth than the documentary but plenty of very very bad mistakes including wrong wrestler names in picture captions and getting events wrong etc as well as wrestler backgrounds.

Was just wondering after reading this if it is worth reading the John Lister book Turning the Tables and will it go into more about back stage events etc and not be so Kosher as the WWE published one seems to skirt over why certain people became problems etc

John Lister - Turning the Tables: One of my favourite wrestling books and a great read if youre a fan of or want to learn more about the original ECW. sadly my copy was burgled along with my DVD collection.

Dustin Rhodes - Cross Rhodes: An interesting look at what its like to grow up as a second generation star. The book also gives a lot of time to Dustin's substance issues and is extremely open about it in a way you dont often see. My only complaint is the book is too short.

Missy Hyatt - The First Lady of Wrestling: Not a book loved by a lot of folk, but i found it to be a fun read as its as outrageous as youd expect. Not deep and definatly a case of airing her laundry in public..

I just got 5 new wrestling books through the mail, still havent decided what to read first.. Bret's autobiography or Pain and Passion i think..

Lister's book is more accurate but less juicy. If in doubt about the facts, I'd rely on TTT, as there was some actual fact-checking involved. As a pair, they give a good overall impression, though.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone read Bruce Hart's book at all? I was in Birmingham today, and the Waterstones has a really healthy selection of Wrestling Books; The Bruce Hart one, Joe Laurinaitis' autobiography, Larry Matysik's Drawing Heat, Howard Brody's Swimming with Piranha's and a whole bunch more.

was that jericho's humour came off as incredibly corny at times

I get what you are saying but i think thats the whole point - it is supposed to be very corny and tounge in cheek.

Overall i enjoyed Jericho's book like most have said not as good as the first one, but the first chapter has me laughing out loud and the part where he is accosted by a bunch of drunks in his limo is hilarious.

The best part of the book, though, was its depiction of Vince McMahon - I think it's probably the most intriguing portrayal of him in any book I've read, and you get some really fascinating insights into how he works, his refusal to delegate, his intensity, his business sense, and some humanising moments too (when Jericho tells him he wants some time off, he replies that he feels like that sometimes too. An obvious thing, maybe, but you don't think of Vince as ever needing a break). He also seems to love wrestling, especially the old-timey stuff - it's brought up all the way through the book, Bobo Brazil and so on - which is completely at odds with the popular conception of him as hating 'rasslin'. I would now like to think of Kevin Dunn as an Iago in Vince's ear.

totally agree with this and its also a good insight into Triple H - from Jericho i did really get that the sense that he was the egotistical, politicking, two faced guy he is made out to be all the time.

There are ton of decent wrestling books out there and some are just plain awful - but i've yet to read one as good as Bret Harts. I think thats because it covers such a huge time period from the 70s right through to 00s and it also helps that he was part of both promotions doing the Monday night wars etc.

Edited by fugaziuk

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Is 'Pure Dynamite' worth a read? A mate of mine said it was heavily kayfabed which put him off.

It's not kayfabed, but it has the tone of being trapped next to a guy who sits next to you at a party and goes on and on about how hard he is, and you can't leave because he's got his arm around you, and he stinks of fags, and also what if he's telling the truth and you try to leave? You'll probably get a kicking like those 6 black guys he beat up on a train after an Ozzy gig in the 80s.

Pure Dynamite is definitely worth a read! I don't think its heavily kayfabed at all, he's pretty candid about how the matches went down. Lots of good stories, gives you a good insight into the life of Billington and his fall from grace. Also probably holds the world record for the number of utterances of 'I'm not being funny, (add well-known wrestling personality's name here) but...'.