Wrestling Books

Bring Back Minipops

• Moderators

To be honest, I thought he would have. Been working for about 20 odd years. Arse end of the NWA with Kendall Windham as the Texas Outlaws, WWF, coming of age as the Natural with his awesome team with Barry Windham, first Goldust run, WCW again and falling out with Russo and being sent home and then having a cracker at Superbrawl Revenge with RTick Steiner, coming back in 2002 and becoming the best comedy face in an age, drugs in TNA, back to wwe, more drugs in TNA, and being back on top in WWE (Not on the card, but redemption wise) as one of the best there.

For a 40 year old he's done a shitload.

*Second run, you Dustin Rhodes amateur.

I was more upset by the fact he didn't really delve into his time as "The Natural".

Nothing he did in the WWF before (or besides) Goldust counts. I think that 1990-91 spell got half a page. "I hung around with my dad a bit and had a little go in the Royal Rumble."

Everything got short-changed in the book, except stories of him being depressed and intoxicated.

Yeah, but who was going to buy it? I guess he has a fanbase from the 90s but not much more than that. They didn't hype it up much so it seemed even they thought it was a lost cause.

He was having a decent little run before he got injured. The book would've been promoted reasonably well if he'd been active when it came out.

Edited by King Pitcos

Considering just how much he went into detail of his Goldust run he may as well of just written "For a while I played a character called Goldust" I think about the biggest thing he reviled is he doesn't like wearing the wig

He says he was writing the book for years and he even admits most of it was wrote while he was drugged up.

For a book that has Goldust on the cover and says it's about Goldust it's pretty much false advertising

Only thing I really found interesting was he said Seven was his idea and he was annoyed when they made him do the worked shoot that killed the character off on his d

Who would everyone like to see a book written by that hasn't been done yet?

I'd love to see a proper one from Triple H. His fitness one was weird, and a proper autobiograhy I imagine would be awesome. Would love to hear his thoughts on his run from 1999 and The McMahon Helmsley era, plus his views on his run in 2003 and all that.

Another one which might be difficult, is The Undertaker. Probably have to be quite a while after he;s retired as it would obviously 'ruin the mystique' of his character, but i reckon it'd be good. Of course with his character as it is, we may never get a book from him, but we can hope.

• Paid Members

Currently re-reading Chris Jericho's first book before starting the second one which I'm saving for my plane trip to Mania. Brilliant read, covering his career in good depth and with plenty of funny stuff from his travels in Mexico, Germany and Japan and also some sad stuff about his Mother and the passings of Art Barr and Owen Hart.

• Awards Moderator

Undertaker or Vince McMahon. Neither one will ever, ever happen, but that's what I'd like.

Spent this weekend reading Undisputed (Chris Jericho's second book) and I thought it was a really interesting look into the inside of WWE during his first run there.

It's not as wrestling-oriented as A Lion's Tale and quite a bit of space is awarded to Fozzy and music, which is fair enough because it's been a big part of his life; just not something I was especially fussed about.

His stories and analysis of wrestling The Rock were very interesting - it reminded me of how well they worked together - and the sections both on the night of Droz's accident and his time on SmackDown on 2002 with Hogan etc were highlights.

The importance of the Gorilla position is great to read. The story of Undertaker standing there after WrestleMania X8 to congratulate Jericho on having been champion got a real sense across of how important Taker is to the WWE too.

The chapter on Benoit was both heartbreaking and chilling, particularly the conversation Jericho had with Benoit's other son. Nobody gave much thought to how much the lives of Benoit's other children will have been changed by what he did, and the son (fourteen at the time) asking Jericho if he could still watch and go to see wrestling was very affecting. I hope they've managed to get on with their lives. Jericho also comments a couple of times that what Benoit did could have brought down the entire industry - that's probably not entirely correct but very interesting to see that's how people in the business felt about it. His understanding and half-acceptance of WWE's erasing of Benoit from history despite their friendship (and Jericho's insistence that he was a good man before his last days) permeates the book, too - strange (but good) to have Benoit written about so objectively in the rest of the book.

The best part of the book, though, was its depiction of Vince McMahon - I think it's probably the most intriguing portrayal of him in any book I've read, and you get some really fascinating insights into how he works, his refusal to delegate, his intensity, his business sense, and some humanising moments too (when Jericho tells him he wants some time off, he replies that he feels like that sometimes too. An obvious thing, maybe, but you don't think of Vince as ever needing a break). He also seems to love wrestling, especially the old-timey stuff - it's brought up all the way through the book, Bobo Brazil and so on - which is completely at odds with the popular conception of him as hating 'rasslin'. I would now like to think of Kevin Dunn as an Iago in Vince's ear.

Continuing from that, the other best bit is reading about how frequently Jericho would go to Vince direct to complain about things he didn't like - if he didn't feel he was being pushed correctly, if he was left off the card, and so on. It seems a lot of wrestlers of Jericho's generation did this, and it's made me think:

WWE is currently full of guys built in their own image, from developmental, rather than guys who've been everywhere before signing like Jericho, Foley and so on. It makes me wonder if the likes of Ziggler, Barrett, Swagger, Sheamus and so on have a reluctance built into them in developmental not to complain and go to Vince to push themselves like Jericho does in this book - their lack of experience around different promotions means WWE is all they know, and they just accept their lot rather than complain to get better deals and sustained pushes for themselves. Lately WWE has done a lot of half-pushes - building guys up big, then moving on and forgetting about them. Makes me wonder: if Barrett, Ziggler, Sheamus, Swagger and the like had had a pre-WWE career like Jericho, would their pushes have been halted and neglected in the same way, or would they have the gall to moan to Vince until he kept them in the limelight?

Anyway, it's a good read, well worth picking up - maybe not in hardback, but certainly in paperback or Kindle form.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

HHH.

His fitness book was essentially a autobiography, he alternates between fitness and his life and covers topics such as how he got started, the MSG incident, his relationship with steph, injury and so on. i recomend it. and its also a good starter book for people looking to get into fitness, some of the advice he gives is actually quite good

Reading Foleys 3rd book atm, nowhere near as good as the first 2 and a little to random at times but going to stick out cuz when its good its good