Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

***SPOILERS***

Well, the new season of Bellator got off to an entertaining start.

Pat Curran knocking out Joe Warren was a bit of a shock to start the season off. I was curious going in to see how Warren would bounce back after the loss to Alexis Vila. Curran's one of them guys who people seem to underestimate and with Warren coming off a KO loss, maybe it was the perfect time to take his belt.

Add to that the fact that Curran fought pretty much a perfect fight. I was really impressed by how he was defending Warren's takedowns. Just when the commentators started saying he's never aggressive enough he rocked Warren pretty bad in round 1 which is usual for a Warren fight but Curran stayed patient and didn't waste energy like some of Warren's past opponents. By the time it got to round 2 and Warren was still having no joy with his wrestling I thought Curran had a good shot to win.

The KO in round 3 was vicious

4.gif

Great performance from Curran. Warren was hurt badly pretty early in that flurry and it probably could have been stopped a couple of times before the ref finally jumped in. Hopefully Warren's OK. It did look like a late stoppage to me, it was clear he wasn't defending himself and like they said on commentary once he started to turn his back that deffo should have been it.

A title change on the first show of the season. Not really a fan of Joe Warren but there's never a dull moment with him that's for sure. It will be interesting to see what his next move is. He was on fire there for a while but the Vila KO and now this loss of his belt in a fight where he was pretty much shutdown and put to sleep. It's gonna be an uphill climb for him.

Rest of the card was decent.

I liked the Mann/Corey fight. Corey did well to come back from them 2 knockdowns in round 1. It really seemed to deflate Ronnie Mann when Corey got up. And rounds 2 and 3 were all Corey, really good performance from him after such a rough start. I thought he totally dominated them last 2 rounds, I had the 3rd 10-8 and maybe the second aswell. Mann looked really sharp the first 4 minutes but he seemed to lose it a bit to me when Corey survived round 1.

Straus/Spoon was a good tactical fight. Very close, but I agreed with the decision. I had it 29-28 Straus.

Sandro/Vargas was a bit of a fireworks display. Fun fight, Sandro looked like a killer but he leave himself open at times for Vargas to counter and Vargas did tag him coming in a few times. Sandro just overwhelmed him though, nice combination of strikes and the submission to finish.

Good start to the season and a memorable main event.

Bellator 61 on the 16th looks good aswell.

Eric Prindle vs. Thiago Santos (season-five heavyweight-tourney final rematch)

Maiquel Falcao vs. Norman Paraisy (middleweight-tourney opening round)

Brian Rogers vs. Vitor Vianna (middleweight-tourney opening round)

Vyacheslav Vasilevsky vs. Victor O'Donnell (middleweight-tourney opening round)

Giva Santana vs. Bruno Santos (middleweight-tourney opening round)

Prindle/Santos 2 should be good, hopefully no controversy this time. Can't wait to see how Falcao gets on aswell.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Definitly one of the most brutal finishes in some time, i hear what Edler's saying but it was purely instinct that Warren was even attempting anything he got f'n battered, i aint sure Warren even comes back from that.

Pitbull-Curran, fuck yeah!

Tournament was decent, Sandro looked outstanding. Anyone else pissed that Wheelock blabbed the result of the Strauss fight before they showed it? Clearly a mistake, hopefully it doesn't happen again.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's gotta be Curran vs Pitbull now. That's the logical fight to make.

I didn't even notice the Straus spoiler Ebb mentioned, I must have been distracted. That's odd, what's the deal there? I thought it was all live. I know some of the prelims took place after the main event but Straus was on the main card, how did Wheelock know the result, was the Straus fight recorded or something?

• Paid Members

i think the only live things on the broadcast were the first two tournament fights and the main event.

Before the Strauss fight was shown they said 'earlier tonight...' but the spoiler came before that, i think they were talking something happening in the Mann fight and Wheelock said something like 'Daniel Strauss who was victorious earlier tonight'. It really was blink and you'll miss it stuff, but i caught it :(

There's been complaints about the pacing of the show, with long breaks in between fights. It's shame that they cant have a solid 5 fight main card, because showing a highlighted tournament fight aint good. I guess it's still a work in progress but i think they need to get it all shown live. They had a few prelims go on after the main event too but i guess that's all down to tv scheduling.

• Paid Members
Saw his interview on MMA Uncensored a couple of hours after i made that post - turns out he's looking into making the Olympic wrestling team with tryouts in April. He would've fought Pitbull in May, too, so i wonder if that's the plan for Curran now?

Looks like the fight KO'd Warren's Olympic dream, he suffered a bad concussion and a suspected broken hand.

So much for the 'Baddest Man on the Planet' :confused:

anyone hear Faber have a cheeky dig at Warren on the TUF show, he said something like 'doesn't he train with the most dangerous man on the planet Joe Warren' and kinda giggled, poor Joe.

It might be the worst I've seen. King Mo/Lorenz Larkin at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine was bad this year with Kim Winslow as referee was bad but not at the level Curran/Warren was. Fuck.

I don't think it was as bad as James Thompson vs Don Frye from Pride, where Frye was offering nothing back and the ref just let Thompson continue to tee off on him whilst Frye's toughness wouldn't let him go down, but it is certainly up there.

It might be the worst I've seen. King Mo/Lorenz Larkin at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine was bad this year with Kim Winslow as referee was bad but not at the level Curran/Warren was. Fuck.

I don't think it was as bad as James Thompson vs Don Frye from Pride, where Frye was offering nothing back and the ref just let Thompson continue to tee off on him whilst Frye's toughness wouldn't let him go down, but it is certainly up there.

Yoshida vs Thompson I recall was very bad as well.

James Thompson had to almost kill a man to get a stoppage in Pride