Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

haha, totally agree. Gotta love Neil Grove though. The guy can claim to have whatever black belt he wants and say that he trains with some of the best heavyweights in the world but as soon as that bell goes the red mist comes down and he goes fucking nuts. Grove's gas tank will always be a problem because of the way he fights but for a couple of minutes i'd argue that Neil Grove is as dangerous a heavyweight as anyone in MMA.

I was there the night Grove arrived on the MMA scene by knocking James Thompson out in London so i'll always have a soft spot for him.

The show itself was a little disappointing.

Sandro/Malegarie was a good fight. Sandro's a black belt who seems insistent on standing and trading, and that was Malegarie's problem here because he clearly wanted this on the floor, he just couldn't get it there though. It actually developed into a fun fight because Malegarie just accepted that he'd have to stand and trade, he had a little success too but Sandro was always in control. Sandro's great to watch.

Mann/Curran was a poor fight. One of the most frustrating things to a fight fan is when you see someone blow a great oppurtunity and not leave it all in the cage. That's exactly what i felt here with Ronnie Mann. I don't know if he was intimidated by Curran's power or something but Mann was just very reluctant to let it go in the fight. Curran's safety first and tight style racked up the points and he won it comfortably.

Curran/Sandro is going to be a good final because i can't see Sandro allowing Curran to dictate the pace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

lack of MMA this weekend so there's no excuse not to watch Bellator 48 :)

MAIN CARD (MTV2)

Pat Curran vs. Marlon Sandro (featherweight-tourney finale)

Cole Konrad vs. Paul Buentello (heavyweight non-title fight)

Seth Petruzelli vs. Ricco Rodriguez

Juan Barrante vs. Rene Nazare

Good card to round out the summer series, can't wait for that tournament final. I'd love to see Buentello drop a bomb on Konrad's chin too, i can't see it happening, but it would be awesome.

Not sure if i need to spoiler tag thoughts or not, but just incase..

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Nazare looks pretty immense. How accurate was his stand-up? Wow. It actually made me sad when they said on commentary that they were wrong and there was no 155 tourney in Season 5.

Petruzelli should be back based on that performance. He hasn't been to a decision in like 4+ years now, and that's the kind of fighter Bellator needs to be adding to the permanent roster.

Surprised Cole Konrad decided he had to try and showcase his stand-up against somebody who's formerly so powerful in his hands. Buentello spent the entire fight backing up, i didn't give him a single round - could've been interesting if he'd've had a few more flash points like near the end of round 3 against Conrad though.

Main was pretty sick. I accidentally saw a headline about the Head Kick KO on MMAJunkie before i watched this, which was a bit annoying, but was still pretty shocking even when i knew what was coming! First time Sandro's ever been stopped, and it was pretty emphatic. Can't say i'm looking forward to Warren/Curran too much (i'm pretty sure they barely even mentioned Joe Warren's name throughout the broadcast, which was a bit odd...), but i hope i'm pleasantly surprised when it comes around!

• Paid Members

* Curran's KO of Sandro was one of the best of the year, devastating kick. It was a pretty tentative fight, Curran is way to hesitant on his feet sometimes, they say he's counter-fighting but i see it more as he's afraid to let things fly, a KO like this can only help though. Sandro was f'n devastated. Curran's gotta be in the top 10 (possibly top 5) after this.

* Konrad/Buentello started terribly but warmed up a little. Buentello seemed lost that Konrad actually decided to stand. When you have the wrestling credentials of Konrad it probably makes it easier to get into standup exchanges because Buentello was so afraid of the shot that he allowed Konrad to work his jab and win the first two rounds. Konrad definately has gas issues though and it's going to cost him eventually, the guy has one incredible skill but his lack of cardio is going be his undoing. I mean he was pretty fucked in this fight and not a lot happened.

* Nazare looks like a freakin' beast. Similar to Marlon Sandro in that he's a black belt who decides to stand and trade. Can't wait for him to get into the 155 tournament.

* Seth Petruzelli looked great against Ricco Rodriguez. Consideing Rodriguez is as experienced as he is he positively looked lost on the outside against Petruzelli, he looked horrible lunging in with punches and was getting hit by all of Seth's fancy shit. I got a lot of respect for Rodriguez getting his career back together and going on a great run but i think we might have seen the end on Saturday, he pretty much said his Bellator run was going to be his last hurrah and it got ended emphatically. It takes some shot to finish Rodriguez so it was massive for Petruzelli, he'll probably go into the 205lb tourney.

Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Bellator 49 thoughts;

Douglas Lima looked decent, even if he did get caught with a great shot from Carl within the first 30 seconds of the first round. Lima is supposedly considered one of the top welterweight prospects in the sport at the moment, but I remain unconvinced by him at present. I'll wait & see how he does in the next round of this tournament before judging him further.

Luis Santos looks like the real deal. He controlled the entire fight and never looked to be in trouble at all, and looked as though he could have got the finish at the end of the third. Superb performance.

Not sure where this leaves Dan Hornbuckle right enough. He's riding a losing streak and must be close to falling out of contention as far as the welterweight division in Bellator goes.

Ben Saunders looked good against Chris Cisneros, getting a third round stoppage. He'll take some stopping in this tournament, whilst Chris Lozano looked impressive as well in winning a decision against Brent Weedman in a good fight!

We got the news that Kurt Pellegrino will be fighting for Bellator, and his first fight is against Patricky "Pitbull" Freire at Bellator 59 in New Jersey. What a fight to come out of retirement for! I can't see him faring that well against Pitbull!

Also, did anyone notice that we had Ricardo Almeida judging in this event? Nice to see a former fighter make his way into the judging side of things.