Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Brian Foster has joined Bellator's season 6 welterweight tournament

As expected Brian Foster (18-5 MMA, 0-0 BFC) has joined Bellator's upcoming season-six tournament.

Bellator officials today confirmed his participation in the eight-man tournament with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). Sherdog first reported Foster's entry.

The eight-man tourney kicks off in March, and the season airs on MTV2.

Foster now joins Karl Amoussou (13-4-2 MMA, 1-1 BFC), Carlos Alexandre Pereira (33-9-1 MMA, 0-0 BFC) and War Machine (12-4 MMA, 0-0 BFC) in the tourney field.

"It's the way I like to fight," Foster said of the tourney format. "(I) like to fight all the time, and this tournament format is perfect for me. My body feels great, and I'm feeling really good about getting ready to go for March."

Although he was in the midst of a 3-1 run in the organization, the UFC surprisingly released Foster this past year. The hard-hitting fighter was medically released after a pre-fight medical examine revealed a brain hemorrhage. Foster was cleared shortly after, but the UFC didn't re-sign him. Since his UFC release, Foster has picked up a pair of wins outside the organization. On Oct. 1, he scored a first-round submission victory over Jack Mason in a featured Cage Warriors 44 bout. Fourteen days later, he submitted Laverne Clark at CCCW 7. Combined, his two opponents had a 44-26-1 record.

In addition to the welterweight tournament, Bellator is hosting season-six tourneys in the bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight and middleweight divisions. Each tourney winner gets $100,000 in total pay and a guaranteed title shot. In the welterweight division, it'd come against Ben Askren.

"I hope he's ready for an ass-whopping," Foster said. "He's going to try to take me down, and I'm going to try and knock his head off. Simple as that."

Good signing. I was already planning to watch Bellator properly this season and I'm a bit of a Foster fan so I'll deffo be tuning in for this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bruno Santos and Maiquel Falcao are the latest additions to Bellator's Season 6 middleweight lineup. Not really familiar with Santos but I'm glad to see Falcao picked up. I was hoping he'd wind up in Bellator. Falcao vs Hector Lombard could really be something to see down the line if Falcao does well. Hopefully his health issues are sorted now.

I could see them picking up Nate Marquardt too now he's free.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

The Featherweight tournament opening round matches have been announced and the main card for Bellator 60 on March 9th looks like this...

Joe Warren vs Pat Curran (Bellator Featherweight Title)

Marlon Sandro vs Roberto Vargas (FW Tourney Opening Round)

Ronnie Mann vs Wagnney Fabiano (FW Tourney Opening Round)

Alexandre Bezerra vs Genair da Silva (FW Tourney Opening Round)

Daniel Straus vs Jeremy Spoon (FW Tourney Opening Round)

Nice. Warren vs Curran is an interesting fight, looking forward to seeing that one. And this tournament has real potential. Sandro vs Fabiano could be tremendous if they both advance. Looking forward to seeing Daniel Straus too, especially after finally seeing his epic with Nazereno Malegarie recently.

They're kicking off Season 6 with a bang with this. I'm determined to keep up with Bellator from here on in. I watched most of the stuff recommended in this thread from last year's run and I've been drawn in now. More familiar with the fighters too so the shows hold a bit more interest for me than they did before.

I already knew guys like Hector Lombard, Ben Saunders, Doug Lima but now I also really like the Pitbull brothers, Michael Chandler, Wilson Reis.

Can't wait to see how Maiquel Falcao and Brian Foster get on aswell. The UFC released both coming off wins for legal/health issues but I don't get why they didn't pick them back up. Falcao's legal situation seems to be cleared up and Foster's health issues are too. Foster in particular has looked great outside the UFC with a cracking spinning kick and submission over Jack Mason in Cage Warriors and another quick submission over Laverne Clark after that. Oh well, UFC's loss and Bellator's gain I guess.

• Paid Members

yeh, Bellator's roster now seems to moulding itself where the guys are seen as 'Bellator fighters' rather than just fighters who fight in random places, Bellator lock these guys down and they do a great job of keeping em active.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Season 6 Lightweight tournament is looking like this

Patricky 'Ptibull' Freire vs Lloyd Woodard

Rick Hawn vs Ricardo Tirloni

Brent Weedman vs JJ Ambrose

Rene Nazare vs Thiago Michel

Good stuff. I'm especially interested to see how Rick Hawn does at 155. If the weight cut works for him he could be a beast at Lightweight. Could be a great move for him, he was never a very big Welterweight anyway.

Also, Bellator are said to be planning for an Eddie Alvarez vs Shinya Aoki rematch to take place sometime in Season 6. Huge fight there. Bellator's cooking at the minute. I'm really looking forward to this season.

Edited by wandshogun09

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

bellator-60.jpg

This is Friday. Anyone gonna be watching? I'm determined to keep up this season, I'm really liking the look of the tournaments and this is a nice start.

MAIN CARD (MTV2)

Joe Warren vs. Pat Curran (Bellator Featherweight Title)

Marlon Sandro vs. Roberto Vargas (Featherweights Opening Round)

Mike Corey vs. Ronnie Mann (Featherweights Opening Round)

Alexandre "PoPo" Bezerra vs. Genair da Silva (Featherweights Opening Round)

Jeremy Spoon vs. Daniel Straus (Featherweights Opening Round)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike.com)

Cory Galloway vs. Jake Nauracy

Anthony Gomez vs. Travis Wiuff

Lance Surma vs. Eric Oria

Sean McCorkle vs. Richard White

Shamar Bailey vs. Josh Shockley

Bobby Reardanz vs. Kenny Foster

Some great looking fights on there. The main event should be a good one and I'm interested to see Ronnie Mann and Daniel Straus. Really looking forward to seeing Marlon Sandro aswell, I haven't seen a whole lot of him, just a couple of his Bellator fights and some quick, brutal KO's of his from Sengoku. Be good to see more of him.

Few recognizable names like Travis Wiuff, Sean McCorkle and Shamar Bailey on the prelims aswell.

The prelims are listed for Spike.com. Anyone watched stuff on there before? Is it straight forward like ufc.tv?

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post, just seen this quote from an interview with Bjorn Rebney on Hector Lombard

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Alexander Shlemenko came out with a video blog a couple days ago saying he was frustrated with the Hector Lombard situation and he doesn't think that the fight' seven gonna be made this spring. There was some talk that Lombard's contract ran out and you guys are in a negotiating period. I was wondering what your thoughts are on that whole situation and what's going on right now.

Bjorn Rebney: Well, Hector remains our champion right now. We are in the midst of a pretty substantial negotiation relative to his future with the organization. I've said many times I think he's the best middleweight in mixed martial arts so it's not an easy negotiation by any stretch of the imagination. Alexander Shlemenko, who has earned the right to face our champion, has been prepping for that fight for over a year, has been to a certain extent caught in the crossfire and he's not the beneficiary of these negotiations.

We're in a state now where we've got to negotiate with Hector and potentially resign him. People forget, Hector Lombard and Ed Alvarez have been with this organization now for four years so you lose track of it because our initial distribution platform was ESPN Deportes and Fox Sports Net and it's been a long build up but Ed and Hector have been with us from the very start. You know, all good things come to an end at some point and four years is a very long time on any kind of agreement.

We've got the right to match on any deal. We're either gonna sign him before he goes out the to marketplace or he's going to go out to the marketplace and we're gonna have a determination as to whether we're gonna match or not match and we're gonna see where it ends up. I love the guy and he's an awesome talent. He's been nothing but a pure pleasure for me to work with. He's been a great guy for me to work with and he's done everything we've asked him to do and every time I've put him in a cage, he's knocked people silly. You can't really ask for more than that from a guy.

I didn't know Lombard was gonna be a free agent. Dana White was asked about signing him last week in Sydney and there's a video on Youtube of his response

Dana sounds interested. I'm sure I've read Lorenzo tweet that they'd love to sign him aswell. Interesting.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Michael Chandler vs Akihiro Gono added to Bellator 67.

I just saw this on Junkie. Bit of an odd one that, could be a decent fight but Gono's not on good form at the minute. I'm a bit surprised they've signed him for this one. He's a good name but he's lost his last 2 and is yet to win at lightweight. Putting him in with the champ, albeit in a non title fight is a weird move.

But whatever, good main event and a nice name for Chandler's record I reckon. I love Gono but I don't think 155's the right division for him and Chandler's on fire at the minute.

Edited by wandshogun09

Really looking forward to the weekends show, there's a distinct lack of MMA over the next month, so its a great time for Bellator to come back on.

I was thinking that myself, it'll be the first time I've really watched Bellator apart from the odd match here and there.