Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

bit late chiming in, but Bellator had a bit of an off night in terms of fights last weekend, just one of them shows where no fights really impressed, the Banatamweight fights were decent but the Sandro/Popo fight was a case of two guys just respecting each other too much, it just didn't kick into gear.

Then there was the Askren/Lima fight. It's probably a good thing that Askren isn't in the UFC because there would be uproar. People complain about GSP's style, they would shit a brick about Askren's. I've never seen a guy seem so lethargic in the cage yet still make great fighters look so bad. That's exactly what happened hear, Lima just could not stop the takedown and could not get up off his back. For 2 rounds Lima did threaten off his back but after that he was doomed. Askren's problem is that when has a guy down he can't really do anything with it, he has no significant power in his g&p, and he rarely attempts submissions so you end up with Askren basically smothering a guy for 5 rounds. Entertaining he is not, it's fascninating how he makes it look so easy though.

• Paid Members

they it looks like Bellator have got another champion on their hands that will likely outgrow the promotion. Hector Lombard seems to have done that and i think Dantas is good enough to do the same.

• Paid Members

Bellator-66.jpg

Main Card (on MTV2):

Eddie Alvarez vs. Shinya Aoki

Brian Rogers vs. Andreas Spang

Maiquel Falcao vs. Vyacheslav Vasilevsky

Rick Hawn vs. Lloyd Woodard

Brent Weedman vs. Thiago Michel Pireira Silva

arguably Bellator's best card yet, a main event worthy of any promotion plus a stacked undercard some of the most impressive guys who have fought this season. Falcao/Vasilevsky and Woodard/Hawn are gonna be great fights.

The main card will feature 5 fights too instead of 4.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

That's a hell of a main card there. Glad they've gone with 5 fights cos all them fights warrant a televised slot.

Aoki/Alvarez 2 is one I'm very excited about. It's come at an interesting time aswell with Alvarez coming off losing his title and Aoki on a bit of a streak. With how quick the first fight went, Alvarez can't afford another loss to Aoki if he wants to get back on track. I would fancy him to win, I'd imagine he's been working relentlessly on keeping the fight standing and as long as he does Aoki shouldn't give him much trouble. Aoki's a crafty little bastard though and if he can drag it to the ground it could possibly look like a re-run of the first fight. Top main event, I'd say it's the biggest main event Bellator's had so far, as you say that fight could headline anywhere.

Falcao/Vasilevsky and Hawn/Woodard could be crazy fights. Really looking forward to both. Woodard looked like a beast against Pitbull but I'm rooting for Rick Hawn in that one. I liked the look of him at 155 and I'd like to see him go to the finals.

Falcao's a fascinating guy to watch cos there doesn't seem to be an obvious weakness or way to beat him. He seems the type who can dominate guys but only does what he has to do to get the win and no more. I don't know a lot about Vasilvesky, only saw his last fight in Bellator, but I've got a feeling he could push Falcao and force this into a war for however long it goes. I think it's a guy like that who can threaten Falcao, who will bring the best out of him.

• Paid Members

yeh, i love Falcao, some people might have critisiced his last performance but i thought he was awesome. It's gonna take an aggressive guy to make him fight aggressively and Vasilvesky (judging by his last performance) will do that, it's gonna be fireworks.

I aint quite sure why this show is getting a 5 fight main card? happy about that though.

• Paid Members

JFXRDFJYPVIUEHR.20120419223830_large.jpg

fuck yeah! Wonder if the Aoki factor draws more eyes to Bellator. From a casual standpoint it probably won't, but a lot of diehards who probably don't give Bellator a chance will probably tune in tonight, big show for the promotion.

• Paid Members

Just watched Bellator 66. Excellent bunch of fights. Best show they've had so far this season for me.

Alvarez vs Aoki 2

It went kind of how I expected. But I wasn't sure how Alvarez would look coming off the loss to Chandler. This was exactly the type of comeback he needed. Tremendous finish. Aoki to his credit, actually looked alright on the feet early on but once that short uppercut/hook landed he never had chance to recover.

564691513.gif

This opens up the possibility for a rubber match down the line. Both finished each other quick so I'd like to see a third sometime.

Falcao vs Vasilevsky

That was a closer fight than I think most expected. Vasilevsky did really well the first 2 rounds, especially using his Judo. Some of his trips were beautiful. I really think Judo is an underused and very effective tool for MMA, it's getting some love now since Ronda Rousey came on the scene so I hope more fighters start using Judo techniques.

I did think Falcao edged it though. He won the 3rd round easy to me, Vasilevsky did nothing to him on the ground and Falcao turned up the aggression that round and had him on jelly legs at one point. All depends on how you score round 2 I think. I thought Falcao nicked it at the end with the ground and pound.

Right man won for me and I can't wait to see him in the finals.

Brian Rogers vs Andreas Spang

This was a cracking fight. If Bellator gave out FOTN bonuses this would have got it. Aside from the odd submission attempt from Spang, Rogers was killing him most of the fight. Had him rocked a bunch of times and I thought he was going down any second then this happened...

564679266.gif

Rogers was so aggressive he forgot all about his defense and Spang fucking levelled him. Amazing comeback. He took a real pasting and that finish totally caught me by surprise. Great fight.

Hawn vs Woodard

Woodard's one of them guys I love to watch fight but fuck sake he's a right cock. The way he was mouthing off at Hawn for not 'standin' and bangin' it was starting to get on my tits. So when Hawn fucking flattened him with that one punch KO I found it both hilarious and satisfying at the same time.

lloyd.gif

Haha, awesome KO. I really like Hawn at 155.

Fucking fantastic show all round I thought.

And just to top it off, Falcao and Spang who will meet in the Middleweight finals, nearly got into it during the staredown. Spang started it shoving Falcao. A bad idea I reckon, Falcao's not the type to get into a shoving match. You shove him and he'll try to remove your face with his knee.

Here's a video of the confrontation

http://ironforgesiron.com/2012/04/video-ma...ght-stare-down/

That's a fight I'm now eagerly anticipating.

• Paid Members

Yeah that would be a great fight. Melendez and Alvarez have been the top Lightweights outside the UFC (along with Aoki) for a few years now. It would make sense and I'd love to see it. Strikeforce badly needs some new lightweight challengers.

• Paid Members

loved the Spang/Baker fight. Insane fight, Spang is quite cleary abit of a fiery character and i always like to see guys like that fight. Spang was getting punished badly but dude's tough and took it all, then came firing back with that left hook, crazy! One of the comeback victories of the year. The instant faceoff with Falcao was mental too. Two very short-tempered guys, that's gonna be a crazy fight. Baker contested the KO for ages but if anyone drops as hard as that the ref has to step in.

I actually had Falcao losing 29-28 but again he fought strangely, he definitly needs to come out more aggressively, it's like he doesn't wake up till round 3. If you look at his record though it's full of first round finishes, odd. Vasilevsky is good though, his trips were fantastic, i hope Bellator bring him back next time.

Rick Hawn is a little killer at 155, his right hand is a lethal weapon. This was great in that Jimmy Smith basically broke down what was happening as it happened, Woodard wanted to brawl and Hawn just wouldn't comply, it was like Woodard just fell into Hawn's trap and it cost him badly. Rick Hawn is the new Dan Handerson!

As for Aoki-Alvarez, hmmmmn. I personally thought something was off. Aoki looked ok standing but it was always gonna be if he could get it to the ground. What i didnt like was how the towel came flying in, Aoki wasn't dropped badly and as soon as Alvarez came in the towel was thrown. I don't question the stoppage at all but the towel coming in seemed weird, im thinking perhaps he had an injury coming in? something was off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bellator's back tomorrow (after a week off):

BTXSNHOVWULBJGK.20120410174924_large.jpg

Main Card

Michael Chandler vs. Akihiro Gono

Ben Saudners vs. Bryan Baker (Bellator Welterweight Title Fight)

Ryan Ford vs. Luis