Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Bellator 72 will be streaming in full for uk fans on spike.com which is pretty awesome!

Yeah great news that.

More details;

As always, the action packed night of fights will air LIVE on MTV2 and in commercial-free HD on EPIX in the United States at 8pm ET/7pm CT, or 1 AM in the United Kingdom. In addition to Daley, Friday night also features the finals of the Bellator Season 6 Welterweight Tournament as Bryan "The Beast" Baker battles Karl "Psycho" Amoussou, along with the semifinals of the Summer Series Light Heavyweight Tournament, and the third fight in the three fight trilogy between Marius Zaromskis and Waachiim Spiritwolf.

Bjorn Rebney

"Our UK fans have been incredibly patient with us we've worked to get Bellator distributed throughout the UK each and every week. The single most asked question I get on line and via twitter is
Edited by wandshogun09

1am is the main card:

The main card will air live on MTV2 and Epix HD on fight night, beginning at 8 p.m. ET. (1am GMT)

There is six prelim fights, which should put the prelims as starting at 11:15pm or shortly before.

Edited by METAL ON METAL

gonna be a good show, i'll be viewing this Saturday then the UFC Sunday...fights all the time :)

I remember the days I could get away with doing that. Doubt the missus would appreciate me spending the whole weekend watching fights though, so I'll likely not see this until the middle or end of next week :laugh:

• Paid Members
I remember the days I could get away with doing that. Doubt the missus would appreciate me spending the whole weekend watching fights though, so I'll likely not see this until the middle or end of next week :laugh:

Ha, I've got it good at the minute because my girlfriend hasn't moved in with me yet and she works nights in a hospital a few nights a week. So I can usually fit in time to watch everything when she's not about.

She actually doesn't mind a bit of UFC but she's got pretty shit taste in fighters. She likes Frank Mir, although I think that's to wind me up. She hates Anderson Silva aswell. But we agree on Shogun, she might even have more of a crush on him than me :blush:

• Paid Members

Bellator 72 was a bit of a mixed bag I thought. Some good stuff on there though as usual.

Karl Amoussou vs Bryan Baker (WW Tournament Final)

Sweet Christ! I knew Amousso was most dangerous early but never expected a heel hook submission in less than a minute. Very impressive and a really cool looking finish. Slick transition into the heel hook, I thought he was trying to set up a triangle for a sec and then he got the leg.

1_medium.gif

Felt kind of bad for Baker, he's been through a lot and it's a shitty way to lose but he was all class after the fight.

Amoussou's a really likeable guy too. Comes across as a nice, laid back bloke to me. But he's an animal in the cage. Still questionable cardio, and I don't think that bodes well for him going up against Askren next. But we'll see, it could be interesting for a round or so at least. Maybe his tank will be better at 170 now he's settled in at the weight. But if he doesn't finish Askren early, I really don't see him coping with his style for 5 rounds.

Amazing finish though. That was a tournament final and he made it look a piece of piss.

Paul Daley vs Rudy Bears

Perfect debut for Daley. Loved his trash talk in the pre-fight video. "Bellator needs confetti. Confetti". Ha, what the fuck?

Bears was game but it was clear he was out of his depth, especially once Daley found his range/timing and stepped up the aggression after a minute or so. That left hook is ridiculous, everyone knows it's his go-to move but most can't do fuck all about it. And if it lands clean you're fucked. The left hook in that last flurry was vicious, landed right across the jaw.

1_medium.gif

Can't wait to see Daley in the tournament. This next WW tournament is shaping up to be all kinds of brilliant. I think 170 is probably Bellator's best division at the minute, for strong talent and some recognizable names.

Here's the Daley/Bears fight, already up on Youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=hH0MdNg5s_A

Emanuel Newton vs Atilla Vegh

This was a good competitive fight. I thought Vegh was too hesitant though at times, when he did step in he was connecting with good shots but he didn't do it enough for me. Was a bit surprised he got the decision to be honest. I had the same score as Jimmy Smith, 29-28 for Newton with him edging the first two rounds. Thought he was more effective with his striking, his kicks looked good and Vegh backed up a bit too much for me to give him the nod. Good fight though.

Travis Wiuff vs Tim Carpenter

This wasn't pretty but Wiuff put in a very impressive showing here. Totally dominant and he looked like a monster throughout. That one slam where he ran across the cage with Carpenter on his shoulder, Hughes-Trigg style was fucking awesome.

1_medium.gif

Wasn't a great fight though. I think Wiuff will overwhelm Vegh in the finals. Just too strong and dominant for him in my opinion.

Marius Zaromskis vs Waachim Spiritwolf 3

This wasn't the war I thought it would be but Marius was smart not to get into that kind of fight. He did that last time and Spiritwolf gave him hell. Very disciplined performance for Zaromskis here. Decent fight, I don't think it deserved the boos at all. Wasn't a thriller or anything but it was a decent fight I thought.

I missed the first few prelims but the ones I did catch were really fun.

Ben Saunders vs Brian Warren

Jesus, Ben Saunders' Muay Thai clinch is fucking nasty. Once he gets a good clinch on it's pretty much done 9/10 times and that was the case here. 22 second massacre, absolute brutality.

1_medium.gif

That cut was horrible aswell, looked like a good chunk of Warren's eyebrow was gone. Just look at it;

30upcag.jpg

I love Killa B, always something exciting going on when he's in there. Wherever the fight goes he doesn't stop. Glad to see him back to winning ways. Happy they got this aired on the main broadcast.

Paul Barrow vs Jason Carapelluci

Really enjoyed this. Think they said this was both guys' Bellator debuts, and it was a hell of a scrap. Carapelluci won the first two rounds pretty clearly for me although it was always compeitive. Barrow's comeback in the 3rd was incredible though. It looked like he was heading for a points loss and then he got that standing RNC out of nowhere. Excellent finish to a really good fight.

1_medium.gif

Raul Amaya looked dominant in his beatdown and TKO of Kenny Moss aswell and McCook vs Slack looked good from what I caught of it, only started watching from round 2 of that.

Pretty good night of fights. I'm proper excited about the next 170lb tournament coming out of this show.

Paul Daley

Ben Saunders

Marius Zaromskis

Douglas Lima

Bryan Baker

Jim Wallhead

Ryan Ford

Lyman Good

and maybe Brian Foster if his health's sorted out

all them are possible/likely names for the WW bracket. Could make for a cracking series of fights.

Edited by wandshogun09

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

for some reason or other Saunders and Daley aren't gonna be in the next 170lb tournament which is just stupid.

The next Welterweight Tournament starts at Bellator 74 and lines up like this:

Lyman Good vs. Jimmy Wallhead

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Jordan Smith

Tim Welch vs. Michail Tsarev

Marius Zaromskis vs. Nordine Taleb

considering the depth they have at 170 it's abit of an underwhelming lineup. Koreshkov appears to be the latest of these insane Europeans that Bellator keep finding, he's probably the guy to watch outside of the established names in there.

Pat Curran is out next weekend's title fight with Pitbull too :( things don't seem to be falling Bellator's way at the moment. I don't think it'll be long before they scrap the tournament format and just go to a standard fight set up.

Edited by Ebb

I don't think it'll be long before they scrap the tournament format and just go to a standard fight set up.

Bjorn Rebney has said so much on the issue to the contrary, i think it'd have to coincide with him stepping away.

Seems odd that Daley isn't in the tournament, would've thought that's the natural progression.

• Paid Members

Yeah I saw that about Pat Curran being injured. That's shit. Was really looking forward to him and Pitbull as well. Hope they can still do that fight down the line.

Can't believe they've left Daley and Saunders out of the tournament. What are they thinking? Daley even said after his debut that he wanted in the tournament. Shame, they are my two favourite welterweights in Bellator currently. Maybe they'll fight each other now?

As for the tournament, of who's there I'm rooting for Wallhead or Zaromskis to win the thing. I've liked both for ages. But I'm not too familiar with some of the names there so I could become a fan of one of them yet.

Zaromskis' weird series with Spiritwolf has tied him up for coming on two years now in the States, so it'll be nice to see him up against fresh opponents. I know he did some stuff in international shores inbetween but i don't often get to check out Sweden's premier fighting organizations lol.

• Paid Members

ive heard that they wanna run more tournaments, so maybe there's a plan to have another 170lb tournament later in the year that'll involve Daley.

As for Rebney not backing down from the tournament format. I like the tournament set-up, i think it makes the brand unique but it's hitting road blocks now and it's becoming harder to follow. People are getting injured and it's meaning that guys are not getting their title fights and we have a queue forming, the format leaves little room for error.

The idea of having loads of simultaneous tournaments running is good because you have multiple people coming out and earning shots, but what i don't like about that is that there's no real structure to the divisions, obviously everyone has to win 3 (or 4 depending on if you have too qualify) fights to get a title shot which is cool but guys who do earn title shots and lose have to then go back to the drawing board and start again...i dunno if that's fair? but maybe that's because im used to the UFC's way of doing things.

If everything continues to run smoothly im happy to see it continue but the problems it's hit recently has soured me on the idea a little.