Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

Anyone catch this show?

Luis Nogueira has some sick stand-up. His clinch was fucking nasty, the way he was throwing Ed West around with it in the first frame. I had Nogueira winning the fight by 29-28, taking the 2nd & 3rd round. I see one of the judges had West winning all three frames, which is simply ridiculous in my opinion.

Galvao is a fucking animal on the ground, isn't he? How ho got out of those chokes by Beebe in the first I'll never know, and having locked both of them in must have taken something out of Beebe. I gave Galvao the first & second rounds, whilst the third was like something out of a Rocky montage. Both guys just swinging for the fences.

When I heard that the first judge had given the fight to Beebe I thought we were going to see the Joe Warren situation all over again. Galvao deserved the win.

Eduardo Dantes looked impressive with the stoppage of Reiss, but I'll need to see some more of him before I'm convinced. He's apparently one of the hot prospects in the division.

The main event was the reason why I'd been looking forward to this particular show for quite a while. Joe Warren announced that he was making the move to bantamweight a while ago, and since then I'd been intrigued to see how he did, and after seeing the brackets I got more excited about the possibility of a Warren vs Galvao rematch.

I won't be seeing that rematch. Alexis Villa! Fucking hell! He starched Warren! Villa is going to be a handful for anyone in that division.

I can't wait for the semi-finals now! :D

• Paid Members

Bellator 51 was excellent. Ive been slow catching up on my MMA from the weekend but both Bellator 51 & Strikeforce Challengers were better shows than UFC 135.

Villa damn near killed Joe Warren with that left hook. Warren's been pushing his luck in fights recently, it was only a matter of time before someone really shut his lights off. Villa is 40 too, damn! Anyone think this loss devalues the 145 title a little?

Eduardo Dantas looks the business too, Reis was just unable to negate the reach and was just gonna get picked apart over the distance. The finish was brutal too, I aint sure what Reis was trying to do but he pretty much jumped into a flying knee.

Bit gutted we wont see Galvao/Warren II now but Galvao i thought beat Beebe every round yet the judges scored it a split decision, good fight though. Galvao is a no-nonsense type of fighters.

Ed West is very annoying but he's got a pretty unique style. He's very different to everyone else left in too, he could be an outside bet.

Does this mean we get West/Galvao & Dantas/Villa? fucking happy with them if we do.

Be interested to see what happens if Galvao and Dantas reach the final though seeings that they are team mates.

Bellator52.jpg

Mark Holata vs. Ron Sparks

Neil Grove vs. Mike Hayes

Blagoi Ivanov vs. Zak Jensen

Eric Prindle vs. Abe Wagner

I'm not really expecting much from this card, especially after the quality we got last week. Heavyweight MMA outside the UFC is notoriously terrible, and I doubt this'll be much better.

Still, it'll be worth a watch, and hopefully big Neil Grove can do well.

• Paid Members

52 ended up being a pretty wild show. Bellator's heavier divisions don't get much love but whatever the quality this was a fun night of fights.* Ron Sparks is a beast, another quick finish. He's like another Shane Carwin, he just destroys whatever he hits. Not sure how he'll look if a fight goes deep but he's dangerous no doubt about it.* Prindle/Wagner was probably one of the better heavyweight fights of the year. It wasn't a technical masterclass by any means but this was a crazy back and forth fight, both guys were rocked, both guys showed tons of heart and left it all in the cage. Love fights like this. Abe Wagner's had a pretty memorable year, win or lose he's always fun to watch.* Ivanov/Jensen was ridiculous. Zak Jensen is very limited as a fighter but you have to give him credit he goes in there all guns blazing. He was clearly outmatched everywhere by Ivanov yet he just stood in the pocket and tried trading with Ivanov. He took one hell of a beating, insane chin. No surprise to see him go out when Ivanov sunk the choke in. Jensen's got ridiculous courage. No real guessing how good Ivanov is, he's probably the most rounded guy left in though. * Grove/Hayes...well, ive complained in the past that Groves is the kind of guy that just see's red in the cage and goes ballistic. He didn't do that here and it cost him, Groves won the first round mainly due to leg kicks then pretty much took the 2nd round off giving Hayes the round. The 3rd saw Groves try to adopt his usual tactic, ended with him being taken down and Hayes ground out the round. Wasn't the explosive fight everyone was expecting and i can't help but feel that Groves new cautious approach cost him. Bellator kind of made Groves a poster boy for their heavyweight division, and Groves constant talk to re-matching Konrad makes me feel that he was overlooking Hayes.People shit on this division but it was a fun fucking show, check it.

• Paid Members

another great show from Bellator this week, they are on a roll at the moment.

* Ben Saunders!!! holy hell, Saunders appears to have taken it to the next level, he's destroyed 4 guys in Bellator now and he absolutely schooled Luis Santos...on the ground!! Saunders displayed one of the most insane performances from the guard i think ive ever seen in MMA, against a BJJ black belt too, Saunders tied Santos up like a f'n pretzel, didn't stop striking either. Brutally effective display of MMA jiu jitsu. Saunders is looking good, gotta give the guy massive props, you might think he'd lose motivation after dropping from co-main event status in the UFC but if anything Saunders looks better than ever.

* Douglas Lima/Chris Lozano was on it's way to being one of the best fighs in Bellator history until Lima absolutely flattened Lozano in the round 2 with a right hand, one of my favourite KO's of the year. Great fight.

Bellator now has a final of Saunders/Lima, and both go into the final off spectacular performances, im fucking excited.

Thiago Santos finally fought too and dispatched of Josh Burnes in no time at all, didn't really show much but he made it look easy. He steps into the semi-final of the tournament because Mike Hayes is out injured.

• Paid Members

great fight main evented this week's show, Shlemenko-Rogers was an absolute war, if this thing had continued into round 3 i think we may have been looking at a legit fight of the year contender. Shlemenko put a hurting on Rogers in round 2 though, brutal fight. Loved it.

Victor Vianna made short work of Brian Baker in the other semi. Baker is a weird fighter, i was giving him some serious props on here not while ago cause he looked awesome, but he's one of these guys that blows hot and cold. He seemed to disrespect Vianna's power and that what ultimately cost him.

Worth tracking down the main event...

• Paid Members

another UFC free weekend, so there's no excuse for not checking out Bellator 55 :)

bellatorfightingchampio.jpg

Alexis Villa vs. Marcos Galvao

Ed West vs. Eduardo Dantas

Christian M'Pumbu vs. Travis Wiuff (Non-Title Fight)

Steve Gable vs. Ricardo Tirloni

Bellator's been on a serious role recently, some really good shows the past few weeks...get on it!!