The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

Fukpig at Damnation and the last Deathfest were just spectacular both times. I wish they'd play live more.

I foolishly didn't enuoy The Rotted as much as Gorerotted at first, but I've realised the error of my ways.

Long live the underground chat. While it's here, I'll put in a few snazzy bands kicing about the UK: Bonesaw, Esoteric Youth, Cruciamentum, Vallenfyre, Winds of Genocide, Skiplickers and Sufferinfuck. Give 'em a go.

• Paid Members
There's something fishy about Issues, though.

They've got more than a whiff of 'manufactured' about them; a bunch of blokes with no discernible prior connection to one another who got signed to a major label subsidiary after three weeks of being a ban with no original tracks or demo.

hmmmm.

on the subject of Grohl, he's making a documentary about Sound City Studios and putting together a wild soundtrack of collaborations, check this out:

• Paid Members

Everclear announce UK tour for 2013.

March 26 - Glasgow 02 ABC 2

March 28 - Liverpool 02 Academy

March 30 - Sheffield 02 Academy

April 3 - Oxford 02 Academy

April 4 - Islington 02 Academy

Tempted by this for a nostalgia trip. If they guarantee to only play the first two albums I'm there!

Has anyone heard the McCartney/'Nirvana' collaboration yet?

It's fucking bonkers seeing McCartney front a full throttle, post-punk alt-rock band. It's bloody ace, though.

I thought it was pretty cool seeing them up there together, as a 'what-the-fuck' moment or what have you, but the song was dogshit. Sub-audioslave alt-rock by the numbers.

There's something fishy about Issues, though.

They've got more than a whiff of 'manufactured' about them; a bunch of blokes with no discernible prior connection to one another who got signed to a major label subsidiary after three weeks of being a ban with no original tracks or demo.

There's nothing fishy about that. It happens all the time in the music business these days.

Also, what websites are best for rock/metal album reviews these days?

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Everclear! one of my favorite bands of all time, they are doing a bit of a Smashing Pumpkins these days with only Art being the only original member and they aint come close to replicating the first 3 albums but i feel i must attend. I actually saw Everclear on the So Much For The Afterglow tour back in the day.

• Paid Members

I saw them on that tour too. I'll be going to the Liverpool date, I was unsure at first as their recent output has been dire but after checking SetlistFM it seems that Art realises this too & there's very little that's not from the first two albums. I put Sparkle & Fade back in the car this morning, awesome stuff.

• Paid Members

I dont think theres many that wouldnt like to see em go back to being the original 3-piece. I like their newer stuff but it just aint the same, So Much For The Afterglow was a massive shift in direction from Sparkle and Fade but i think they nailed that Everclear goes pop type sound, its a brilliant abum.

....there are more dates too, ima go see em in Bristol on April 1st. Fuck yeah!

For metal reviews definitely the metal archives. Such a useful site for finding out all the information needed about bands. Their forum is also brilliant for finding new bands to listen to.

Definitely. Metal Archives is THE go-to place if you ever have to find out about a band you've not heard of before (unless it's Agoraphobic Nosebleed).

Uh oh...

The lead singer of Welsh rock group Lostprophets has been charged with sexual offences against children.

Ian Watkins, 35, of Pontypridd, will appear before Cardiff magistrates on Wednesday.

He is charged with conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a female under 13 and possession/distribution of indecent images of children.

Two women, aged 20 and 24, from Doncaster and Bedford, have been charged with similar offences.

All three have been questioned at Cardiff Bay police station, said South Wales Police.

Senior investigating officer Det Insp Peter Doyle said: "Specially-trained staff are available to speak to anyone with concerns or information regarding this investigation and a dedicated telephone number has been set up.

• Paid Members

I'm going to reiterate what I said on Twitter earlier - One of my friends grew up near Ponty and when she started going out at 14/15 the Prophets were well known but hadn't reached the stage where they'd stopped going out at the weekend. Quite a few guys chatted her up, Ian Watkins included. I'd be a fool to think she didn't go home with any of them but whilst I know she's been back to his place in a group, she maintains she never slept with him.

He later gained quite the reputation for revelling in the attentions of teenage fans and would often turn up at clubs after gigs with girls of questionable legal age in tow.

Up in the valleys though? Yeah, it's not surprising that sort of thing goes on, hence all the teenage pregnancies. You really can't carry on with that sort of thing outside of small towns where people just turn a blind eye, especially when you're in the public eye as he is.

That all said, I still remember the Public Disturbance days and whilst I didn't know him back then, I'm ended up pretty good mates with the other guys from the band and did meet him, briefly, at a reunion gig back in 2005. He's very short, and that's from me at 5'7", so I reckon he just likes girls his own height.

So, not entirely surprising, but younger than 13? That is pretty fucked up.

Edited by Au