The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

It's amazing to think gigs like that NOFX show happened up north at some point, and in such smoky little toilet venues. Most punks of a certain age up here will all tell you about the time they saw Green Day at Wigan Cricket Club. It seems stupid to lament and get nostalgic about gigs you were too young to see or go to, but it puts having to see bands like that in either a fucking O2 with overpriced Carling or an arena with one northern date if you're lucky.

You find that to be the case in Hull too. I know people younger than me (28) who swear that they saw Oasis, Radiohead and Green Day all play The Adelphi club before they made it big, despite the fact that they have been around 10 years old at the time The only claims like that I can make were seeing Biffy Clyro at said Adelphi club, and seeing The Killers open for British Sea Power in some pub in Lincoln (the name of which escapes me) around November 2003

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

any word on whether Lamb of God will still headline next year?

Slayer's a great announcement, i have to go now, that's tipped the balance for me.

Whilst we're on the subject, let's Slayer...

Favorite Slayer album?

any word on whether Lamb of God will still headline next year?

Slayer's a great announcement, i have to go now, that's tipped the balance for me.

Whilst we're on the subject, let's Slayer...

Favorite Slayer album?

I'm guessing it will simply depend on Randy's trial, if its not finished by august they won't play, if it is they will.

Fave Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss

• Paid Members

Figured this would be the best place to put it and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, but Paul McCartney is joining up with the remaining members of Nirvana tonight for a one off gig to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. While it is only a one off and purely for fundraising efforts there must have been better choices for a lead singer if it wasn't about getting publicity. Jared Leto, Billy Jo Armstrong and Billy Corgan come to mind.

• Paid Members
While it is only a one off and purely for fundraising efforts there must have been better choices for a lead singer if it wasn't about getting publicity. Jared Leto, Billy Jo Armstrong and Billy Corgan come to mind.

Yeah, they could have done Heart Shaped Box.

• Paid Members

i dunno if im getting old or what, but im watching Scuzz's Top 10 Bands to Watch in 2013 and it's fucking abysmal...heavy music has to be going in the worst direction it's ever gone in right now, here's an example:

seriously, what the fuck is that? Metalcore meets the fucking Backstreet Boys. Shocking.

i dunno if im getting old or what, but im watching Scuzz's Top 10 Bands to Watch in 2013 and it's fucking abysmal...heavy music has to be going in the worst direction it's ever gone in right now, here's an example:

seriously, what the fuck is that? Metalcore meets the fucking Backstreet Boys. Shocking.

Yeah, it's definately your age. The kids are all into that kind of stuff these days. Simply changing times I'm afraid.

• Paid Members

the perils of getting old.

Thing is, im not some kind of old school music lover that dismisses anything new, i love a lot of new bands and ive always supported new bands and keep upto date, it's just this new style of metal coming around, its complete and utter pish...and don't get me started on fucking deathcore.

• Paid Members

I can feel your pain Ebb. Even at my advancing years I still keep track of new bands, keep an open miond & go to a lot of gigs but I'm not convinced by 'Issues' & this crop of bands at all. I think it's more to do with there being less musical boundaries in terms of social groups for kids. The gap between dance/dubstep & rock/metal is practically gone for teenagers now whereas when I was that age there were clear 'tribes' defined mainly by the music you listened to.

In all honesty I'm glad there's stuff like this for the kids now. Every generation had their music that their parents hated but kids now haven't seemed to have that for a while. Even the new band gigs I go to have got their fair share of people in their 30's (me) & above in there. It's good they've got something for themselves that people my age hate.