The Smartphone & associated apps discussion thread

David

has anyone been playing the Doctor Who Legacy game? I think I have an addiction problem! Getting ridiculously frustrated by the random 'dropping' of unlockables, but otherwise one of the better 3-match style puzzlers I've played.

I'm enjoying this and marvel puzzle quest at the moment. However I've now reached the point where none of the extra characters are ever dropped and i can't rank up any of my characters as I need the heart shaped gems which aren't actually available on any levels.

Edited by KFR42

• Paid Members

So, I've been playing Plague Inc. the past few days and it's a lot of fun. It's actually a pretty detailed game for something that, on the surface, can seem simple. I really recommend it.

Can you infect the world? Plague Inc. is a unique mix of high strategy and terrifyingly realistic simulation.

Your pathogen has just infected 'Patient Zero'. Now you must bring about the end of human history by evolving a deadly, global Plague whilst adapting against everything humanity can do to defend itself.

Droid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...nc&hl=en_GB

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/plague-inc./id525818839

Edited by SpursRiot2012

Two questions.

I heard of a really good chinese brand, that apparently are going to be a bigger player in the west. Their phones run on android but i cannot think of the brand name. Any ideas?

Secondly, whats the best physically small smartphone. I hate the larger ones that take up your phone pocket and prefer a smaller device.

Whats the best small phone?

Two questions.

I heard of a really good chinese brand, that apparently are going to be a bigger player in the west. Their phones run on android but i cannot think of the brand name. Any ideas?

Secondly, whats the best physically small smartphone. I hate the larger ones that take up your phone pocket and prefer a smaller device.

Whats the best small phone?

You could be talking about Huawei or ZTE. Actually they are the only two makes with Chinese origins, I had a try with the P6 and when they launch the 4G version next year with the upgraded OS, better camera and more RAM (Apaarently 6GB!!) it will make a serious dent in Samsungs and HTC's dominance.

With regards to small Android phones you might want to have a look at an Xperia J by Sony. Not a bad piece of kit on a budget and has their WalkMan app.

I wonder what will be the future of the mobile phone over the next ten years. I guess the handsets are still going to look similar unless there is a new technology comes along to drastically change the phones shape but I'm more thinking about the future functionality of the mobile phone and what it will be able to do. Discuss?

Her's a really good article from CNET about the next gen of iPhone. As for the future of phones I think personally that the form factor of the phone will pretty much stay the same, maybe see through clear AMOLED SLCD screens.

I read somewhere else that Telfonica (own o2) are already working on a 5G network, but thats at least 5-7 years off.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've recently discovered PocketInformer on the iPhone.

Back in the late 90s I had a think called Jornada, which was a Windows CE based handheld.  Whilst it was obviously very limited in comparison to modern smartphones, it did have a great program for it which was basically a fully integrated organiser that would sync with Outlook, and gave you your diary, contacts and email (offline) on the move.

Well 15 years later but there's finally something equivalent for iPhone and it's ace.

http://pocketinformant.com/products/pocket-informant-pro/

If you need a PDA style app, this is the best I've found.

I've just traded in my I-Phone 4S for a Samsung 5S. Everything going alright so far except....in Facebook I am seemingly trapped viewing a photo. I seem to remember on the I-phone there was an icon that said "Done" in the top right that would close and navigate away from the photo. I don't seem to have that on the Samsung and I've pretty much pressed everything without much luck. The picture is of a friend's infant child and I'm starting to feel super creepy...someone please tell me I'm being a spastic and there is a simple way of navigating away from the pic.