DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I just ordered Red Dawn which I haven't seen since fuck knows when and all I can really remember is the a high school kid taking a bullet between the eyes early into the film and some stupid shit about drinking animal blood.

I'm either gonna laugh my arse off or facepalm by the end of it.

• Paid Members
ive never seen a Woody Allen movie, any recommendations on where to start?

Annie Hall. Manhattan Murder Mystery. Hannah And Her Sisters.

Can you please stop double posting as well.

sorry man, i don't mean too.

• Paid Members
the massive over use of shaky handycam, couldn't see fuck all a lot of the time. It's a 12A and a pretty violent one as it so its maybe used to avoid directly showing violence to keep the rating down.

That's exactly why.

• Paid Members

I read that the studio presented the film to the BBFC & asked them to advise what cuts needed making to ensure a 12a certificate. Not that this is directly related to 'shaky cam' but there will definitely be some faster edits & cut aways where the shot would've originally been longer.

• Paid Members
I just ordered Red Dawn which I haven't seen since fuck knows when and all I can really remember is the a high school kid taking a bullet between the eyes early into the film and some stupid shit about drinking animal blood.

I'm either gonna laugh my arse off or facepalm by the end of it.

WOLVERINES! I love Red Dawn. Insane how stacked the cast is. I'm still waiting for them to release the remake they made 2 years ago (which will no doubt be shit, Koreans instead of Russians :angry: )

I read that the studio presented the film to the BBFC & asked them to advise what cuts needed making to ensure a 12a certificate. Not that this is directly related to 'shaky cam' but there will definitely be some faster edits & cut aways where the shot would've originally been longer.

Most of the cuts were actually made before the film was finished. A lot of the BBFC edits seem to be the digital removal of blood and darkening of some of the scenes with gore so I dont think that will have affected the actual editing style of the film. Saying that they did trim some close ups of wounds

Edited by chokeout

• Moderators

I just went and looked up Russkies on IMDB. One of those obscure childhood favourites for me.. I'm not sure if anyone else has even heard of it..?

I was surprised to see Joaquin Phoenix is in it, in that I am surprised that I recognised the names of any of the cast. Assumed it must have been a bunch of total nobodies.

This was on TV a couple months back, also much to my surprise. I didn't catch the whole thing, but it was nice to see.

Anyone else know this film?

WOLVERINES! I love Red Dawn. Insane how stacked the cast is. I'm still waiting for them to release the remake they made 2 years ago (which will no doubt be shit, Koreans instead of Russians :angry: )

I watched it the other night, after some one put a FB status that simply said 'WOLVERINES!'. I'd not seen it in a while and it's absolutely glorious. I went on a Powers Boothe kick after and rewatched By Dawns Early Light again after as well.

The remake has been gathering dust on the shelf because of MGM's financial woes . Now that they are back, I assume the remade Red Dawn will be released this year. Indeed 'the net' has it down for a November release, which makes sense as the original is set in Autumn/Winter, if they are following that theme.

As for The Hunger Games, I'm pretty sure it was intentionally shot like that (Empire did a box out or similar to explain iirc) to keep the rating down so that they key demographic for the film, Teens and Tweens could go and watch it, thus maximising potential revenue.

PS Gladders I've heard of Russkies, but cant recall ever seeing it.

Edited by patdfb

• Moderators
As for The Hunger Games, I'm pretty sure it was intentionally shot like that (Empire did a box out or similar to explain iirc) to keep the rating down so that they key demographic for the film, Teens and Tweens could go and watch it, thus maximising potential revenue.

The way you say that makes it seem like a very cynical ploy... I don't think it's unreasonable to try and get a rating for the film that the core readership of the book that it's based on will be allowed to go see!

I know dude has a lot of accounts on here, but please....

had a nice lil run of movies over the Easter Weekend, saw 50/50, We Bought A Zoo & The Prestige and i enjoyed them all, all good for different reasons but id recommend them all.

50/50 was one of my favourite films of last year. God i loved it. I also really enjoyed We Bought a Zoo, its impossible to not fall in love with Scarlett Johansson in it!

The way you say that makes it seem like a very cynical ploy... I don't think it's unreasonable to try and get a rating for the film that the core readership of the book that it's based on will be allowed to go see!

I know dude has a lot of accounts on here, but please....

I wasnt trying to suggest that it was Machiavellian in design, it's just bog standard to make as much money as it could and that would require a lower rating because of the target audience.

As for the Russkies thing, sorry, my bad. Chest Ive not seen it that iirc. It's about some boys and a boat and an injured Russian? It is meant to be similar to The Machine Gunners in terms of story?

• Paid Members
Only just watched the Godfather Part I & II over the last two evenings for the first time. Just one of those things I never got around to but have now. Both of them stunning pieces of work.

Are you planning on watching the third?

• Paid Members
Only just watched the Godfather Part I & II over the last two evenings for the first time. Just one of those things I never got around to but have now. Both of them stunning pieces of work.

Are you planning on watching the third?

I've heard from many it's not as good as the other two but for the sake of doing it I will. I still hear it is actually a good film, just not to have exactly booming expectations.

Then I have the Deer Hunter, Animal House and Dog Day Afternoon to get through on my week off. Going through a John Cazale addiction seemingly :p

Edited by Chilli_Dog

• Paid Members

Its worth seeing and making your mind up yourself but Sofia Coppola and her stupid face ruin every scene shes in and it is nowhere near the other 2 films.

Poor John Cazale :( Saying that he has probably the most perfect CV of any actor ever. You need to watch the Conversation as well, its a masterpiece

• Paid Members
Its worth seeing and making your mind up yourself but Sofia Coppola and her stupid face ruin every scene shes in and it is nowhere near the other 2 films.

Poor John Cazale :( Saying that he has probably the most perfect CV of any actor ever. You need to watch the Conversation as well, its a masterpiece

With the first two still fresh in my mind, Cazale was one of the highlights of both films, in particular his performance in Part II.