Sid Eudy

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

• Paid Members

I think powerbombs are ace, but for some reason piledrivers have always been my power move of choice. No fancy-shmancy, wrist-clutch tombstone bollocks, just a regular, sit-out piledriver.

One of the reasons I've come to dislike the indies is that the logic appears to be "oh, the piledriver's an old-fashioned move, not fancy enough - so we'll use it as a mid-match move, or a sub-finisher at best". You're being dropped on your fucking head! The rules of physics and biology have not changed: whether you're Gorgeous George or John Cena, being dropped on your head, vertically, should put you out for the bloody count. Suppose that's why I'm beginning to like Adam Pearce - uses it as a finisher, makes it mean something.

Favourite powerbomb is either the sit-out (really like Batista's version), or the kneeling "Atom Smasher" that Adam Bomb used to do. And if we're talking of variants, then all-time has to be the Razor's Edge.

To get back closer to the topic, I like Sid, and I like Johnny Saint and Daniel Bryan. I'm such a rebel, crossing those clearly-demarcated lines.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To get back closer to the topic, I like Sid, and I like Johnny Saint and Daniel Bryan. I'm such a rebel, crossing those clearly-demarcated lines.

Your a wild one you arent you? Nightclubs, posts that make Mike Castle come across like Funtime Franky and now you like two different styles of wrestlers? My modem almost melted there.

• Paid Members

Your a wild one you arent you? Nightclubs, posts that make Mike Castle come across like Funtime Franky and now you like two different styles of wrestlers? My modem almost melted there.

Clearly not as wild as you, tearing up Teh Intarweb with your carefully-crafted insults and trolls that make Hulkamania Fan look like Stephen Fry. How do you do it?

EDIT: Ooh, and get this: I like Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat and Kobashi too. How will you cope?

I think powerbombs are ace, but for some reason piledrivers have always been my power move of choice. No fancy-shmancy, wrist-clutch tombstone bollocks, just a regular, sit-out piledriver.

One of the reasons I've come to dislike the indies is that the logic appears to be "oh, the piledriver's an old-fashioned move, not fancy enough - so we'll use it as a mid-match move, or a sub-finisher at best". You're being dropped on your fucking head! The rules of physics and biology have not changed: whether you're Gorgeous George or John Cena, being dropped on your head, vertically, should put you out for the bloody count. Suppose that's why I'm beginning to like Adam Pearce - uses it as a finisher, makes it mean something.

I'd guess part of the reason for that also comes down to most Indy guys being pretty heavily influenced by Japanese wrestling, where piledriver/head spike manouevres were never treated as being as dangerous as they traditionally were in North America.

I agree about the piledrivers - Hitman, Haku, Orndorff etc. But that's not to say there haven't been some worthwhile variations through the years also. Some of them can be great, for example Foleys pulling version, funk occasionally using a cradle version of his texas piledriver, or Quebecer Jacques with a cool package version, minus all the multiple underhook, pumphandles and whatnot. Just enough of a difference to make it look more brutal and to put their own mark on it, without being ridiculously convoluted and over-elaborate like the sort you're alluding to which you see so often nowadays.

This may be the second time I've added this point to the thread, but while I don't think I'd want to watch Sid wrestle a match every week, he'd be perfect as the muscle/enforcer/back-up/bodyguard for a top/midcard heel.

This is the point that most people seem to be missing. There aren't many who want to see Sid take part in a 20 minute 'Mania match with the Undertaker. We want to see him used in a way that would showcase what he has, not what he doesn't have.

He's huge, and plays the mentalcase character better than anyone else I know of. He's fucking perfect for some backup muscle to an irritating upcoming heel. He won't wrestle matches except the odd tag match, and would spend most of his time getting involved in his guys matches, throwing the powerful looking clotheslines, illegal shots behind the refs back etc.

WWE are crying out for a guy who actually has charisma.

• Paid Members

I'd guess part of the reason for that also comes down to most Indy guys being pretty heavily influenced by Japanese wrestling, where piledriver/head spike manouevres were never treated as being as dangerous as they traditionally were in North America.

Yeah, but they miss the point about Japan - the psychology's different, but it's still there: Japanese wrestlers traditionally don't hit piledrivers and brainbusters willy-nilly, at least the best ones don't. There's a whole added aspect of fighting spirit/stoicism (depending on the style) that they completely miss.

I agree about the piledrivers - Hitman, Haku, Orndorff etc. But that's not to say there haven't been some worthwhile variations through the years also. Some of them can be great, for example Foleys pulling version, funk occasionally using a cradle version of his texas piledriver, or Quebecer Jacques with a cool package version, minus all the multiple underhook, pumphandles and whatnot. Just enough of a difference to make it look more brutal and to put their own mark on it, without being ridiculously convoluted and over-elaborate like the sort you're alluding to which you see so often nowadays.

I'm not saying that other variants of piledrivers are shit, I quite like most of them. I just think the simple, classic piledriver is an ace move.

The only thing that impresses me in that Squash match is the way Lee Scott is taking dangerous bumps and selling to make Sid look like a monster.

That video is one more impressive thing than anything you have ever contributed to the internet I suppose.

:laugh:

I'm not saying that other variants of piledrivers are shit, I quite like most of them. I just think the simple, classic piledriver is an ace move.

Yeah i know, just kinda following on/adding to your point i guess.

Actually, this subject came up in a thread not too long ago, at least it doesn't feel like so long. Somebody ended up posting a clip of Eric Embry hitting a really awesome pildriver off the 2nd rope from one of those Memphis(?) studio tapings. Looked great.

• Paid Members
. Anyone who is a hero of shit-hawks like Colt Cabana and Daniel Bryan has to be rotten.

:rolleyes:

Come on then. I'm waiting for the rest of it.

There is no "rest of it". You're just trolling.

• Awards Moderator
Always loved the 'spike' piledriver. Never saw ut used in wwf outside ss 89. Used right i think it'd b a great 'illegal' move to break out every so often!

Road Dogg and Billy Gunn used it back and forward a few times in the late 90's i seem to remember ?

Didn't Right To Censor use a spike piledriver to 'break' Chyna's neck in 2000? I remember the announcers selling it as absolutely devastating at the time.

Aye, the New Age Outlaws did use the spike piledriver. I think LOD also used it a few times during their 1997 run, and Crush definitely used it also but i can't remember if that was with Savio or Faarooq in the N.O.D, or if it was in WCW with someone like Horace or Virgil

Archived