What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

They've all been great, I can't wait to see this, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

http://youtu.be/PKuw8MgvmAE. And for those who haven't seen it, How The West Was Lost.

edit. It clashes with The Returned so I shall watch it later.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

That documentary Keith mentioned with Rich Hall was excellent, learned alot about the texas oil industry and his use of combining films with the history and music etc was great, he himself was entertaining as always. Nice to see the Duke get a mention, anyone that hasn't seen the film Red River really should watch it, it's excellent. One of my favorites. Does anyone know where I can get his other documentary? Not the one on Westerns, I think Gladders mentioned it's on the South?

Edited by Maverick

• Paid Members

Halfway through 'House of Cards' on Netflix. One of their own funded series & a remake of a BBC mini-series that aired in 1990 (which I've not seen). Kevin Spacey & Robin Wright star & it's directed by David Fincher, Joel Schumacher & James Foley (amongst others). Spacey plays the Democrat's chief whip & when he's passed over for 'Secretary of State' he decides to go into business for himself & fuck everyone over to get what he wants. So far it's absolutely tremendous & Spacey is a joy to watch. I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of morally questionable, political dramas (Game of Thrones, The Wire). It might fall off & the latter episodes be wank but based on the first 7 episodes I highly doubt it.

• Awards Moderator
Halfway through 'House of Cards' on Netflix. One of their own funded series & a remake of a BBC mini-series that aired in 1990 (which I've not seen)... It might fall off & the latter episodes be wank but based on the first 7 episodes I highly doubt it.

Pretty consistent. Very enjoyable, and watchable for Spacey alone. The 1990 original is on Le Flix too but has dated.

I don't do single episodes any more; I boxset everything. Season 6 of Mad Men just finished so I blitzed that over a few days. I just adore Mad Men, it's everything I want in a television program and despite his shitty, shitty attitude Don is a guy to envy. When he hits that creative zone he's untouchable.

Don-Draper.gif

Managing to avoid all the season chatter I've just caught up with it all: I'm surprised that Mad Men fans were so mixed over this season. I strongly suspect this shows diminish when watched in weekly bites. If you run all of the content together, you aren't left desperately wanting more and not having the whole thing explained; if ever any moments disappoint you are only minutes away from the next amazing scene. I felt the same about Sopranos when I found people snarked on the "Tony has a bad cheeseburger, hallucinates in a New York hotel" episode. If you were waiting for the next installment of the civil war it would be a letdown. As part of the season (series!) arc it's perfectly paced.

Anywho, Mad Men. This season could actually be where Don has started to learn. He's still very much a man out of time, but instead of being behind (season 5) he's creatively about 5 years ahead of the industry and his clients. And: The subtle destruction of Roger. The rise of MiniDon. Chaough not being a white knight. And the cyclical story of Dick Whitman. Will he set up his own agency? Surely he will. Will he still be married to Megan? Probably not.

If you do like Mad Men, I can't recommend the Tom and Lorenzo blog enough. Their dissection of the costumes in every episode (yes, really) is one of the most detailed, precise and brilliant pieces of consistent writing on the Internet. It peels away at the utterly absurd, subtle and genius at work here in this masterpiece of television. Great stuff.

Just finished Spartacus: War of the Damned.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I spent that last battle right through the end credits crying like a mourning wife. For a TV show so heavy on gore and shagging, it manages to get you so attached to the characters and so taken by the story. Crixus started out as a generic meathead div and ended up being a character I loved, his death hit me harder than any other on TV that I can recall. Manu Bennett is great. And though I thought Spartacus less interesting as he's basically been the same noble guy from the start, I was bawling even more when he died.

I didn't know the Spartacus story going in so none of the other names were familiar to me (except Julius Caesar), I didn't know who had to live or who had to die or if it was total Tarantino and Spartacus could end up ruler of Rome by the end of it. Just some great characters all round, and twists and turns and you never feel cheated on the payoffs. It has something for everyone. I love the way it has all the blood and tits that would appeal to the sort of people who have St George's Cross flags in their windows, yet it also includes gay characters that aren't lessened by standing as such. And even shows them at it. I don't know what the viewing figures are like on it, but it must do more for the LGBT cause than a million Houchen links or those films where flamboyant poofs dress up like women and go on road trips.

I remember a post a few months ago (probably from Woyzeck) about Gannicus being great. At that point, I hadn't seen as far as his first appearance. He is tremendous though, and another one who has a good arc, though I didn't buy his stuff with the young girl as much as his redemption thread with Oenomaus.

I really love the language in it, too. And so many lovely girlies take their clothes off.

I'm sad to see it go.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

It's very good.

Unrelated note: Over the last year or two, people on Facebook and the like seem to have changed the spelling of telly to tele. How come that happened?

Edited by King Pitcos

Just finished watching The Wire. Not certain I'd call it the best show I've ever seen but it was excellent for the most part with some of the most wonderful characters I've ever seen on screen.

As much as I loved Stringer Bell, Bubbles, Avon, Bodie, Proposition Joe and the Carver-Herc partnership I have to say the kids from season 4 steal the show for me. Just amazing characters who you really want to see turn out right and make the right choices in life. They make Season 4, in my opinion, the best season of the show and maybe the best season of TV ever.

I didn't really enjoy 2 as much as the others though. I've been told that it gets better on second watch though. Anyone vouch for that? Also Ziggy is stupidly annoying and by far the worst character on the show.

• Paid Members

On rewatch you will discover the true awesomeness of season 2. I think it might actually be the best season. It's so hard to pick. On first viewing season 4 was way ahead of the others but these days I'm not so sure.

• Moderators
On rewatch you will discover the true awesomeness of season 2. I think it might actually be the best season. It's so hard to pick. On first viewing season 4 was way ahead of the others but these days I'm not so sure.

Season 2 is certainly divisive. Some people fucking love it and it's their favourites whilst many others say it's their least favourite.

Curry - if you're anything like me it'll still be your least favourite on re-watching, though that's not to say that I thought it was bad. 4 is also my favourite so I think you might well be in the same boat as me.

• Awards Moderator
Season finale of Mad Men is brilliant. Don's speech in the boardroom is so brilliantly acted.

I always thought Hershey bars tasted of vomit. No wonder they make him feel sick now.

• Paid Members

Season 2 is certainly divisive. Some people fucking love it and it's their favourites whilst many others say it's their least favourite.

Curry - if you're anything like me it'll still be your least favourite on re-watching, though that's not to say that I thought it was bad. 4 is also my favourite so I think you might well be in the same boat as me.

I personally enjoyed Season 3 the best as Stringer was always my favorite Wire character.