What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Another thing I really like about the show is the fact that the female characters actually come across as real people with their own character traits, quirks and personalities rather than simply being someone's girlfriend or love interest with the usual snarky, bitchy chariactures that so many U.S sitcoms lazily make their female characters into, I was put off the show originally when I found out a woman was the lead, but Leslie, April and Ann (and Donna) are all well rounded like-able characters who all bring something different to the show.

Leslie, April and Donna I can see praise for... But has Ann Perkins ever been anything other than the generic, nice, normal, bland pretty girl that appears all the time in comedy?

Did anyone watch The Politicians Husband? I watched it because Emily Watson was in it. I thought it started well but was as predictable as an Adam Bowler thread. Great acting but a fuck awful story.

• Awards Moderator

The fifth (and probably final) series of Horrible Histories starts on May 27th, with a new episode every day that week. Two of the cast, Ben Willbond and Laurence Rickard, are going on to make a film with the rest of the cast called 'Bill', about Shakespeare, which is equally exciting.

I know that Horrible Histories isn't the sort of telly we're meant to post about in here, but I'm risking it.

Did anyone watch The Politicians Husband? I watched it because Emily Watson was in it. I thought it started well but was as predictable as an Adam Bowler thread. Great acting but a fuck awful story.

That was the one with David Tennant? I started watching that, but gave up when it was trying to be too machiavellian and smart for it's own good. Great premise, but as you said oh so predictable and this despite the twists and turns. There's not been a decent political drama set in the uk for ages, unless I've missed them. The Gabriel Byrne one on Channel 4 was quite good (Secret State?), but poorly executed in parts, which let it down in the end.

• Moderators
The fifth (and probably final) series of Horrible Histories starts on May 27th, with a new episode every day that week. Two of the cast, Ben Willbond and Laurence Rickard, are going on to make a film with the rest of the cast called 'Bill', about Shakespeare, which is equally exciting.

I know that Horrible Histories isn't the sort of telly we're meant to post about in here, but I'm risking it.

I caught an episode once and really quite enjoyed it. The kind of thing I would happily rinse a season of if I was lying around off sick or something.

• Paid Members
Another thing I really like about the show is the fact that the female characters actually come across as real people with their own character traits, quirks and personalities rather than simply being someone's girlfriend or love interest with the usual snarky, bitchy chariactures that so many U.S sitcoms lazily make their female characters into, I was put off the show originally when I found out a woman was the lead, but Leslie, April and Ann (and Donna) are all well rounded like-able characters who all bring something different to the show.

Leslie, April and Donna I can see praise for... But has Ann Perkins ever been anything other than the generic, nice, normal, bland pretty girl that appears all the time in comedy?

Just saw this and I suppose you definitely have a point, I still think she does go beyond the stereotypical at points, as in she's presented as clumsly, anxious etc and the way she tries to become whatever mans shes with to suit him. She's probably not the best developed character but as the series goes on she definately has her own established personality but I think she suffers as almost all her individual storylines are about her relationships with men apart from her friendships with the other characters, she is utterly lovely though :love:

• Awards Moderator

I caught an episode once and really quite enjoyed it. The kind of thing I would happily rinse a season of if I was lying around off sick or something.

Like all sketch programmes, it can be a bit hit/miss, but there's loads more hits than misses. Because of the format it's quite easy to watch as a Youtube spree rather than full episodes. I'd recommend the sketches including the League Of Gentlemen (who reunited to cameo in HH, which is a bit of an endorsement), Historical Masterchef, Stupid Deaths, the Bob Hale news reports and the songs to get started. Or pick your favourite historical period and watch the ones to do with that!

Kids' TV is the place to be for sketch shows recently. Sorry I've Got No Head (with Marcus Brigstocke) was very funny too.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

How I Met Your Mother's season finale last night was a bit rubbish, especially compared to some of the others they've done. You do actually see the mother's face though, so it made up for it.

• Paid Members

Here's a description of all the new shows starting on Fox and ABC this season, I always enjoy reading these and trying to remember shows that look good so I can watch them when they start, also reading the pilots that didn't make it is interesting.

2013 ABC Season Breakdown

I'll watch Marvel's Agents of Shield obviously, I'll give Trophy Wife a chance and Steve Zahn and Christian Slater as brothers in Mind Games sounds cool.

I hope the Goldbergs is funny because I like Jeff Garlin but I won't get my hopes up

goldbergs.jpg

2013 FOX Season Breakdown

Almost Human sounds good but I did laugh at this line in the description 'An unlikely partnership is forged when a part-machine cop is forced to pair with a part-human robot' - for fuck's sake.

Brooklyn nine-nine 100% yes, looks wicked. I'll definitely give Murder Police a chance

Some of the Fox ones look good to try out as an easy watch the my girlfriend.

• Paid Members

I thought the trailer for The Micheal J Fox show was surprisingly good and will definitely be giving that a go. The trailer for Andy Sambergs new cop show looked awful though, disappointing as I like the guy and really liked Cuckoo.

Watching Hannibal at UK Living pace and very much enjoying it so far. Thanks for the heads up to those who mentioned it earlier in this thread.

I find Will Graham mildly irritating but their vision of Lecter is very good...more of the undercurrent of subdued menace in Manhunter than the camp theatrics of Silence of the Lambs. I do hope they don

• Paid Members

I find Hannibal to very generic and borderline CSI/Criminal Minds with a mind numbingly boring lead in Dancy.

Am fully up to speed and am only watching it for the magnificent Mikkelsen, but it's just got progressively worse.

Barring a few nice set pieces, on the whole it's been pretty poxy. Hopefully it gets better though. I'll keep plugging away...

Somebody put me onto Leverage which is also shit, and an unfunny version of an unfunny show in Breaking In.

I did watch Sing Date last night because I was lying on the sofa with little Emily asleep on my chest and I couldn't reach the remote and didn't want to move as I would have woken...waken...awoken(?) her, and after 20 minutes I actually had to ring the girlfriend, wake her up to come down and change the channel - causing a massive, albeit whispered, argument - because I was genuinely getting angry with life in general, because of that show.

I'd have even taken an episode of that Chatty Man prick instead of having to endure that.

Then somebody in work told me today that there was a cunting Dinner Date to go with it. Who watches these fucking shows?

Is it cunts like me all over the UK and Ireland who boost the ratings by default or circumstances like missing remote controls, or like somebody leaving their Sky box on and turning the telly off while they go for a walk or for a nap?