UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

First PPV, the Rumble was live. It was a disaster, partly because they didn't think about what would happen with ad breaks and so just guessed when it would be safe to show them and miss nothing, partly because they heavily advertised to the afternoon audience which had lots of kids, then the show was full of old lady tits and barbed wire baseball bats.

All the other PPVs were on 50 minute delays so they could stick ad breaks in without missing anything. I think they also took the opportunity to edit (by going to freezeframe) some of the most extreme stuff like woman going through tables.

• Paid Members

Does anyone remember around 98 when Bravo started showing random old wrestling shows late at night? Might have been USWA or something? What was it?

I think it was World Class from Texas. Lots of Skandor Akbar from what I can remember.

• Paid Members

Does anyone remember around 98 when Bravo started showing random old wrestling shows late at night? Might have been USWA or something? What was it?

I remember this - it was when we first upgraded to Sky 'Digital' after our old Pace satellite box did one.  As well as finding I could no longer watch DSF for WCW stuff (the new Sky digital service was broadcast from a different satellite, so the new dishes couldn't pick it up), I found the new version of Bravo had extended broadcasting hours and was filling the schedule with stuff like monster trucks and that wrestling programme.

It was a hour-hour show featuring mainly 90s USWA matches from Memphis, but there was some random other stuff on there too including the Carolinas' South Atlantic Pro Wrestling (including an early pre-UFC Ken 'Vince Torrelli' Shamrock).

• Paid Members

I also recall Lucha Libre on one of the foreign Sky channels on a Saturday afternoon, I think it was AAA but not 100% sure.

Yeah, Galavision. Was on Sunday nights for a while too.

World Class from Texas was definately shown on Bravo for a while though. 

Edited by garynysmon

I had forgotten all about Mea Youngs anticcs at that rumble (blocked it out maybe?).. Surely Channel 4 knew what they were in for, the promise of tits and voilence were probbly at its peak around that time in the WWE.

I actually still have my tape of RR 2000 which i taped (complete with hand drawn logo) and the mae young stuff was in ... unfortunatetly...

I also have RR 2001 which cuts to adverts right before (I believe) big shows suprise return and has a good few other 3 .....2....1....buzzzz....'your watching c4' ,, moments

I also have a tape labelled Invasion, summerslam 2001 and vengance .... seeing as we were poor council house types who only dreamed of one day seeing a Dimond cable van , I am guessing these were C4 too.

Yeah Royal Rumble I had taped off Channel 4, I remember it cutting out Bubba's Promo before the table match and came back just after it started. Vengeance '01 was on Channel 4

Found this on an old forum 

Sky and Channel 4 signed a joint deal for the UK showings of WWF programming. Channel 4 have the rights to 4 PPV's per year, Royal Rumble (Jan), Backlash (April), Fully Loaded and Armageddon. Thankfully Sky have retained Wrestlemania (which this year was absolutely awesome, I still find myself watching back the video I taped of it, especially Edge spearing Jeff Hardy, awesome move), Summerslam, King of the Ring and Survivor Series. Meaning that Sky have 4 out of the top 5 PPV's. It means that we only have to deal with Channel 4's awful presentation of WWF four times a year. 

• Paid Members

Once that deal ended, Setanta Sports (UK version, when that company was still going) grabbed Vengeance \ Armageddon didn't they? I'm sure they announced it about 2 days before the actual PPV. All the rest ended up on Sky Box Office, IIRC, until the new TV deal kicked in.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Once that deal ended, Setanta Sports (UK version, when that company was still going) grabbed Vengeance \ Armageddon didn't they? I'm sure they announced it about 2 days before the actual PPV. All the rest ended up on Sky Box Office, IIRC, until the new TV deal kicked in.

I remember Royal Rumble 2004 being on Setanta but I think that was the only PPV on there.

I remember Royal Rumble 2004 being on Setanta but I think that was the only PPV on there.

IIRC, Armageddon 2003 was not shown on any channel, live or on delay, here at all. I remember waiting for the DVD which was released about 4 months later!