The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members

Branquey you're great but Deadpool is awful, sorry. Just a 90s piece of crap. He's co created by Rob Liefeld, need I say more?

I love that Punished Max run too, not sure on the cover artist who draws everything looking like photos though.

*edit - Tim Bradstreet is the artist in question

Edited by Call me Bellend

• Paid Members

I love Deadpool, Bellers. He was one of my hero's through the noughties.

I fucking hate Daniel Way's run and the Deadpool Max and Pulp series’ were abysmal. But I love the innocence of Nicieza’s run. It’s just wonderfully giddy.

Missus got me a voucher for a tattoo parlour and I was actually thinking of getting the Deadpool logo beside the V For Vendetta tat. But it’d have to be pure black, coz I hate coloured tattoos, and then there’d be no point.

I can understand the hatred for the Punisher Max series given that it’s a complete overhaul of his previous incarnations, but it worked for me. I read Mother Russia on a plane to Ibiza and I absolutely fell in love with Ennis’ Max take.
Born was also incredible (Sorry Pitcos, that would probably heighten your distain given the subject matter).

Can any of you clued up guys give me a good current jumping on point Marvel wise? Preferably a trade paperback from recent few months? Cheers.

It's a bad time to try and jump on tbh, they are about to go through a huge event this year which will end up rebooting/restarting a lot of the current continuity.

• Paid Members

Deadpool as his own contained character is fun. Not a fan of him interacting with the rest of the universe though.

Welcome Home Frank is a good starting point if you want to dip into Punisher.

If you want to dive into the modern Marvel storylines then you're best bet is to just grab one of the big event crossovers. They pretty much do one per year and the TPB usually have enough background in the forward to clue you in.

Thanks for the replies. Have done House of M, Civil War and Secret Invasion. Currently reading 2011 (I think) Avengers. First two featuring Ultron / Kang and Red Hulk. Was just trying to get a little nearer 2015.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Give Superior Spider-Man a run. It's finished now, and isn't too far off the current Spidey timeline, and it's fucking brilliant from start to finish.

It really is. I haven't finished it yet (had to go in stops and starts because reasons), but really am enjoying the hell out of it.

Superior Spider-Man is fantastic, I can only echo the love it's been getting. It also gets a nice reprieve in the recent Spiderverse event as well which is well worth checking out when it gets a collected release.

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed this month's Thor. I can't wait to see who she is.

Anyone reading Evil Empire? I was pretty sad to see it ended this month.

Big Man Plans is another one that's worth reading. Only a four parter but the first two issues are great.

• Paid Members

I dont know if this is the best place to post this or not, but Dolph Lundgren tweeted this earlier..

CCxsueyWEAANHA6.jpg

Looks fantastic, right up my street.  I'll be grabbing a copy of this when it comes out.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previews/20-019?page=1

"Boys are attracted to strength, fierceness and super human powers"  

• Paid Members

He's starting to look like Hugh Dennis' geared-up brother there.

Still, the guy's amazing - bad-ass polymath who's been in the Swedish special forces, holds various degrees in scientific discipline, speaks several languages AND stars in some of the most iconic films of all time? Awesome stuff. The fact that he almost single-handedly rescues Universal Soldier is a lifetime achievement in itself.

• Paid Members

He's starting to look like Hugh Dennis' geared-up brother there.

Still, the guy's amazing - bad-ass polymath who's been in the Swedish special forces, holds various degrees in scientific discipline, speaks several languages AND stars in some of the most iconic films of all time? Awesome stuff. The fact that he almost single-handedly rescues Universal Soldier is a lifetime achievement in itself.

The man is wonderful but i'm pretty sure that bit in bold isnt true.