~*UKFF's Children Thread*~

Kookoocachu

• Paid Members

Dylan with just the one L is still a lovely name

That's kinda subjective. When I was growing up, it was an insult, so I wouldn't be naming my sprogs that. As was "ben", come to think of it. And "trevor", a little later on."He's a right dillon.""No, the other one, you ben.""No, don't pick that trevor, or we'll lose."

• Moderators

Listened to Dyllan's heart

Please let that be a typo. Whats the point of throwing in the extra L?

Even if you think it'll make him unique, the poor fucker's going to be spending the rest of his life going "no, two Ls..." and always having his name spelled incorrectly on forms. Seriously, it's like calling a kid Indiana Jones and sentencing him to a life of people singing the theme tune or making a whip-crack noise, especially when he meets someone new for the first time. Why create all that bellyache, he won't thank you for it.

Couldnt give a crap whether he likes his name or not, he can change it when hes old enough, i've lived my life with a funny spelt first name, middle name and surname and guess what? i just got on with it.
Didn't you say earlier in this very thread that you didn't want to give the baby an ambiguous name because you grew up with one? That's kind of the complete opposite, no?But anyway, I see no problem with the extra 'l'. It's a name that can be spelled a couple different ways anyway... Also, if kids want to make fun of another kid they'll find something to do it about. Giving the child as boring a name as possible is not going to make a difference one way or another.e.g if I had known a kid called Dylan regardless of how it was spelt I would have probably just made crappy jokes about how he had been 'pushing too many pencils' and that he needed to 'get to the chopper'...

• Paid Members

Dylan with just the one L is still a lovely name

That's kinda subjective. When I was growing up, it was an insult, so I wouldn't be naming my sprogs that. As was "ben", come to think of it. And "trevor", a little later on."He's a right dillon.""No, the other one, you ben.""No, don't pick that trevor, or we'll lose."
Stop being a Ronnie.

Even if you think it'll make him unique, the poor fucker's going to be spending the rest of his life going "no, two Ls..." and always having his name spelled incorrectly on forms. Seriously, it's like calling a kid Indiana Jones and sentencing him to a life of people singing the theme tune or making a whip-crack noise, especially when he meets someone new for the first time. Why create all that bellyache, he won't thank you for it.

Couldnt give a crap whether he likes his name or not, he can change it when hes old enough, i've lived my life with a funny spelt first name, middle name and surname and guess what? i just got on with it.

my girlfriend was due her period on sunday and was due to go back on pill 2moro..only got th teeniest spot of blood yesterday ..are we ok or what?

What do you mean due to go back on the pill???Do you mean she was on her seven day break???If the oral birth control is microgynon then you can have unprotected sex during the 7 day break and you'll be safe, providing that she hasnt missed one 2 months before, and starts it again straight away on the 7th day.Anything can make your period lighter, heavier, and even not come at all. Periods are strange things. If it is Microgynon shes on (and it sounds to me like she is) then I would personally advise her to take a test just to put your minds at rest as you WONT wait all the way until her next periods due date. Chances are, shes not pregnant, but im paranoid with microgynon.I was on Microgynon for 6 years, never missed one, trusted it completley and then found out i was pregnant. I was piggy backing my pills aswell so i skipped about 6 periods in total so i had no clue how far along i could have been but luckily it turned out that it was that month that i conceived.I was extremley miffed at the fact that when you start it, the doctors say its the best out there blah di blah, and then when i told them when i found out i was pregnant all i got was "oh yes it does happen!"Yeah, great, thanks :angry: My biggest concern was whether or not the pill was doing any harm, but they all assured me that baby is perfectly safe with microgynon, so, if your worried about that, dont be :)If you need any more indepth info feel free to PM me :)I worked in womens health for a while so i know quite a bit on all different types of contraception :)Good luck and hope your happy what ever the result is :)
hey, thanks for that, evrythings fine, she got it yesterday :pwouldnt have worried if she didnt though.thanks again

• Paid Members

I honestly though that 'DYLLAN' was the proper spelling. By the time i found out it wasnt, i allready had my heart settled on that name, that spelling.I think that there are thousands of worse names out there in this day and age than a normal name with an extra 'L'

• Paid Members

I honestly though that 'DYLLAN' was the proper spelling. By the time i found out it wasnt, i allready had my heart settled on that name, that spelling.I think that there are thousands of worse names out there in this day and age than a normal name with an extra 'L'

And (even better!), since the 'll' sound in welsh is (IIRC) a 'y' sound, it means that the spelling of his name can be pronounced as 'dy-yan', or 'Diane'. He'll have fun with that one, too.

• Paid Members

Didn't you say earlier in this very thread that you didn't want to give the baby an ambiguous name because you grew up with one? That's kind of the complete opposite, no?But anyway, I see no problem with the extra 'l'. It's a name that can be spelled a couple different ways anyway... Also, if kids want to make fun of another kid they'll find something to do it about. Giving the child as boring a name as possible is not going to make a difference one way or another.e.g if I had known a kid called Dylan regardless of how it was spelt I would have probably just made crappy jokes about how he had been 'pushing too many pencils' and that he needed to 'get to the chopper'...
You son of a bitch!

God, giving your child a misspelt name is just a horrible thing to do. Just because you didn't realise it was a misspelling, doesn't mean you have to inflict that question on him every time somebody asks his name. With one simple admission of ignorance, you can make his entire life happier; why wouldn't you?I think Dylan is a fine name - don't spoil it.

• Paid Members

Dylan, Dyllan, what the fuck's the difference? My middle name is Mathew, one "t" rather than two, nobody has ever bullied me, mocked me, or had a go at me about it though.

• Paid Members

And (even better!), since the 'll' sound in welsh is (IIRC) a 'y' sound, it means that the spelling of his name can be pronounced as 'dy-yan', or 'Diane'. He'll have fun with that one, too.

Surprised no one else has bothered to correct this, but the correct pronunciation of the double L is basically just an L with an exhalation over it so it sounds something like "th-le". Ergo, Dyllan could be pronounced "Dythlan".There's probably a better explanation online somewhere...edit: Oh, and as someone who has to spell their name (and explain the pronunciation of) to everyone they ever speak to, give the kid something simple. Dylan's fine, it's a great name. I'll buy him a cuddly toy of the rabbit off of the Magic Rounderbout when he's born if you go with that spelling. Edited by elegia

• Paid Members

Surprised no one else has bothered to correct this, but the correct pronunciation of the double L is basically just an L with an exhalation over it so it sounds something like "th-le". Ergo, Dyllan could be pronounced "Dythlan".There's probably a better explanation online somewhere...
Fair enough - serves me right for taking my knowledge of the pronunciation from Terry Pratchett or somewhere similar.

• Paid Members

edit: Oh, and as someone who has to spell their name (and explain the pronunciation of) to everyone they ever speak to, give the kid something simple. Dylan's fine, it's a great name. I'll buy him a cuddly toy of the rabbit off of the Magic Rounderbout when he's born if you go with that spelling.
not sure if you meant to imply this as a possibility, but I doubt when asked his name and he replies "Dyllan" it is going to be followed with "how do you spell that? 2 l's? you freak."I really don't see why Dyllan is so bad, it's not a bad name, the spelling isn't so odd that it's confusing, it's an extra L, nothing more, nothing less.

• Paid Members

not sure if you meant to imply this as a possibility, but I doubt when asked his name and he replies "Dyllan" it is going to be followed with "how do you spell that? 2 l's? you freak."

No but everytime he gives his name for absolutely anything, he'll have to specify that his name's spelled with two L's. It's like Martin with a Y.Okay, so it's not quite as bad as my ridiculous excuse for a surname but it's still something that's a bit unnecessary.