~*UKFF's Children Thread*~

Kookoocachu

• Paid Members

At least the kid will KNOW that people are likely to botch his name...That amount of times I recieve something saying Micheal on it is amazing. Despite people always saying that the name can be spelt either way, I have never met anyone who has the name spelt "Micheal", it's ALWAYS Michael. Hell... just think of the pronounciation with the mispelling "Mike-eel" that ain't how I pronounce my damn ya tit.At least Dyllan would be able to say "oh, and it's two l's, not one." Tho' I don't like the name regardless... always reminds me of those Dizzy games from the Amstrad, lol.

• Paid Members

not sure if you meant to imply this as a possibility, but I doubt when asked his name and he replies "Dyllan" it is going to be followed with "how do you spell that? 2 l's? you freak."

No but everytime he gives his name for absolutely anything, he'll have to specify that his name's spelled with two L's. It's like Martin with a Y.Okay, so it's not quite as bad as my ridiculous excuse for a surname but it's still something that's a bit unnecessary.
Yeah but quite a lot of names you have to do that, i'm Carl, but always asked if its a K or a C, and as above with Michael and Micheal, there can be Mark or Marc etc. I think people are just jumping on the MAT hate bandwagon and just saying her son's name is stupid when in all reality it really isn't.

• Paid Members

Yeah but quite a lot of names you have to do that, i'm Carl, but always asked if its a K or a C, and as above with Michael and Micheal, there can be Mark or Marc etc. I think people are just jumping on the MAT hate bandwagon and just saying her son's name is stupid when in all reality it really isn't.

It's a different situation. I'm a John, but people often spell it Jon, which is a shortening of a different name. The examples you've given are different because of the origin of the names. They hadn't had letters randomly added.
Perhaps Dylan is just Dyllan with a letter randomly negated.

• Paid Members

It's a different situation. I'm a John, but people often spell it Jon, which is a shortening of a different name. The examples you've given are different because of the origin of the names. They hadn't had letters randomly added.
Perhaps Dylan is just Dyllan with a letter randomly negated.
Except it's not due to the etymology of the word.
I know fine well its not, I was just making a light hearted jest.

Just since we are playing the 'name game.... My brother is called Jon; christened that and everything, not a shortening of Jonathan at all. In fact it drives him mad when people lengthen it.Having worked in a school for 11 years or so I have met children with all sorts of wierd and wonderful names, but have come to the conclusion that actually the only REAL time that it matters is when you are aged between about 10/11 and 16/17, during the time where people reject anything just because they (or the 'in crowd') see it as different or a reason for ridicule. Having met a child called Starling, I very much doubt Dyllan will get much hassle for his 'extra' L!!

I honestly though that 'DYLLAN' was the proper spelling. By the time i found out it wasnt, i allready had my heart settled on that name, that spelling.I think that there are thousands of worse names out there in this day and age than a normal name with an extra 'L'

And (even better!), since the 'll' sound in welsh is (IIRC) a 'y' sound, it means that the spelling of his name can be pronounced as 'dy-yan', or 'Diane'. He'll have fun with that one, too.
You remember incorrectly. It would be pronounced Di-llan as though with a a lisp.

• Paid Members

At least the kid will KNOW that people are likely to botch his name...That amount of times I recieve something saying Micheal on it is amazing. Despite people always saying that the name can be spelt either way, I have never met anyone who has the name spelt "Micheal", it's ALWAYS Michael. Hell... just think of the pronounciation with the mispelling "Mike-eel" that ain't how I pronounce my damn ya tit.At least Dyllan would be able to say "oh, and it's two l's, not one." Tho' I don't like the name regardless... always reminds me of those Dizzy games from the Amstrad, lol.

Mate, you think youve got problems?Everyday i have letters adressed to Mr Jamie Blundell.(my names Jaymee Bundell :p )

• Paid Members

Won a competition on Nickelodeon years ago (Taz video even :D), and the name that ran along the bottom was "Michael Carson", figured I hadn't won until it turned up in the post... since then I've realized that my pronounciation also isn't the same as everyone elses... I often wind up having to reply with "No Castle, as in big building with turrets"

Mate, you think youve got problems?Everyday i have letters adressed to Mr Jamie Blundell.(my names Jaymee Bundell :p )
Is "Dyllan" taking your surname or his fathers?

Get this I have been called Diane Farr over the airwaves of local radio when being wished happy birthday :p :)The surname Farr isn't a great one to be blessed with at school...

You should've tried mine. "Cox"And no, Cox's apples isn't original or funny :p

• Paid Members

Is "Dyllan" taking your surname or his fathers?
His fathers. :)

• Paid Members

Get this I have been called Diane Farr over the airwaves of local radio when being wished happy birthday :p :)The surname Farr isn't a great one to be blessed with at school...

You should've tried mine. "Cox"And no, Cox's apples isn't original or funny :p
What about Cocks? :rolleyes: