Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Tidying up my DVD collection and can't decide whether to put A Single Man under A or S, thoughts? (Other than I'm a sad twat)

Surely you just have to find a DVD which starts with "The" and then whichever letter your heart tells you to put that under will reveal your feelings on the matter.

On the Euromillions millionaire raffle the other day, I had the code SLR194421 and the winning code was SLR194985, how close in terms of minutes do you think I was away from winning £1million? Surely I can't have been that far off? It's going to annoy me if it's only a couple minutes because I rushed into the store and got in the queue like 20 seconds ahead of 3 other people.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Tidying up my DVD collection and can't decide whether to put A Single Man under A or S, thoughts? (Other than I'm a sad twat)

A.

I'd put 'A View To A Kill' under A because it's not 'view to a kill', it's A view to a kill. Same goes for A Single Man. If Tom Ford had wanted you to put it under S, he'd have called the film 'Single Man'!

EDIT: However, saying that, I'd hesitate to put most 'The' films under 'T'. I'm inconsistent.

• Paid Members

Anyone know much about sound systems? I'm looking for something for my tv. Ideally a soundbar and/or sub combo but would consider others. I have a Samsung HW E550 at the moment so want to get something much better. Budget is 400 max

• Paid Members

I think it's a good thing. To a lot of people colourful dropdowns like those will look daunting. If they're going to get parents and kids interested in computer coding then it's how they'll have to market it for now. There was fuck all for me in terms of learning computing at school apart from those IT "lessons" where you'd learn the absolute basics.

All we did in our Computing lessons in Secondary School was a shitload of PASCAL. Used to love coding in that, even more so than BASIC. Loved it. I imagine it's pretty much a dead language now. I've sure Visual Delphi was basically PASCAL but with a GUI. I think that came out around 1998.

Anybody here a money/currency expert? I'm off to Italy in the summer and was just wondering if I should change up some euros now because apparently the pound is strong and il get a good rate or if I should leave it until the summer and get a better rate? Same questions for dollars too as I plan on hitting USA at some point this year! Thanks

Been locked out of my Twitter. Getting this message whenever I try and tweet. Requested an unlock code to be sent to my phone twice, inputted them both times and twice been told my account is unlocked but still getting this. Any ideas people?

This request looks like it might be automated. To protect our users from spam and other malicious activity, we can't complete this action right now. Please try again later.

Been locked out of my Twitter. Getting this message whenever I try and tweet. Requested an unlock code to be sent to my phone twice, inputted them both times and twice been told my account is unlocked but still getting this. Any ideas people?

This request looks like it might be automated. To protect our users from spam and other malicious activity, we can't complete this action right now. Please try again later.

I've just had it too. Worked the second time though.

• Paid Members

I can't remember which thread I first shared my friend's little girl Delilah's cancer story, but a few of you donated to a little pot for a day out for her last year.

I'm afraid they have been given even more bad news and right now they are relying on hope alone. 

I'm not begging you all to donate again, but a new Go Fund Me page has been set up and it has the updated story on it if you wanted to know how she was doing. 

I guess my question is asking you guys if you could check it out and maybe share it. My heart is breaking for them and I wish there was something, anything I could do to help them :(

I'm certain there's no way around this, but a friend has had a big bill come out and is scheduled on a flight with us on Friday. In his current situation, he won't be able to come. However, we might be able to get someone in his place. On the KLM website, I noticed you can change the passenger's name if there was mis-spelling. I also have the option of editing date of birth and passport info. Could I get away with changing the passenger's name to our other friend's? I called up and they wouldn't do anything.

I'm not sure anyone can help but I'll ask. How long does grieffing over a family member take.

My uncle committed suicide about 13 days ago. Its weird at 1st I didn't take it in but since Friday i can't stop thinking about him, no matter what I do to keep busy his name just keeps popping into my head. I only saw him once a year at Xmas if that.

His funeral is tomorrow. I just want to be able to watch TV and go about every day life. My parents keep telling me that with having aspergers it may take a while and because I tried to commit suicide its hitting me harder.

If someone asked me a month ago to describe him, his middle name,who he supported football wise and what car he drove I would have no clue. Now I can't stop thinking about him and its doing my head in

• Paid Members

Does anyone know anything about electricity meters and tariffs?

I moved recently and when I set up my account with Npower, they told me that the house has an old style duel feed meter left over from the property had electric heating. Even though the heating feed is now obsolete, apparently I'm now locked onto the highest tariff, can't set up a direct debit, can't have it changed, and can't change to another provider.

Surely not, otherwise everyone else would still have these meters?

Archived