Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Where's a decent place to get large canvas prints from?

I've got a load of empty wall space that I can't use for furniture because of radiators and obstructing doorways, so I'm just looking for some cheap prints to brighten the place up until I can do a proper redecoration.

Not looking for anything personalised or specific, just the usual stock photo type things.

Game-related question...

In 1991, my brother-in-law bought a Megadrive from Blockbuster. One of his first games for it was either Castle of Illusion or Quackshot, and menus/text were in Japanese. He assumed this meant his Megadrive was Japanese, and took it back to Blockbuster, who exchanged it. Playing the game on the replacement, the text was in English. But surely Blockbuster weren't selling Japanese Megadrives? What is the likely scenario of why this happened?

Regions are a funny thing with the Megadrive.  Megardrive's in the uk are generally a bit of a oddity with the first wave distributed by Virgin able to play Accolade and other carts with no problem. However after the Accolade vs Sega court case and region locking late MD's with the white writing around the edge of the console and presented by Sega Enterprises on boot, wont play Accolade games

Many Sega megadrive converters are basically bridge converters in so much that they don't have anything but an extension allowing different shaped carts to be placed on a megadrive without cutting. The Master System Converter was the same as the emulation/hardware/backwards compatibility was built in to the megadrive. The ones that would by pass later region locking for Konami and others usually have switches built in that spoof the region thus bypassing inbuilt encryption in the Uk Megadrives

General rule of thumb is that if the 16 Bit on the front of the megadrive is huge and the reset button isnt white, then it is an import. Thai and asian/not Japanese versions, retained this but could be played on the UK without alteration and some of the early imports of jap megadrives were already converted so didnt need a sep power supply. My friend Vinny had a Jap megadrive that didnt require alteration and he was ready to go from Xmas 1990 onwards.

Hope that helps

What a nerd. (Thanks, that was actually pretty interesting)

You don't happen to watch a guy called Adam Koralik on YT do you? He's often pretty good for Sega stuff, but he can be proper annoying with his fanboy opinions on other systems and games.

• Paid Members

Not looking for anything personalised or specific, just the usual stock photo type things.

I can do you a canvas painting. Looking for something to do at the moment so if you're interested let me know.

Did these two back last year...

15295410654_d36e7d50b8_c.jpg

15796951770_9d486ed2fb_c.jpg

• Paid Members

I can do you a canvas painting. Looking for something to do at the moment so if you're interested let me know.

Did these two back last year... (Can't link properly on my phone, sorry - will sort out when I'm on a PC tomorrow.)

http://flic.kr/p/piAYGN

http://flic.kr/p/q4Vvpq

Take this offer my friend.  Spectacular!!

• Paid Members

Awh thanks! I wasn't completely happy with the Freddie one - couldn't get the colours right. I really enjoyed doing them both though (theraputic!) so that's why I was offering to do one for Surf. Unless anyone else wants one?

Archived