Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

It couldn't have been, Blockbuster didn't do trade-ins? I guess in theory, someone might have bought a Japanese one months/years earlier, then bought a UK one from BB and returned the Jap one in its box.

But my suspicion is he just changed the language on the game or something. Putting a US or UK cart in a Japanese Megadrive wouldn't change the cart's language settings, would it? 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine had a japanese cart in the early 90's, he had to put it in some special adapter for it to work. I think there were region specific hardware elements that stopped you plugging in carts from other regions.

Although this page seems to suggest region locking wasn't introduced until 1993, but I definitely remember him having this weird extra bit that went in with the cartridge.

Yeah, I remember the carts being different shapes as well, but wasn't sure if it was just the US ones. Presumably an EU cart wouldn't even have gone in a Japanese Megadrive bareback then?

Wait, blockbuster still exists?

That's a very odd reading of the topic!

• Paid Members

Video shops with import games was pretty common around my way, particularly if it meant they could get them in a couple of months early.

A mate of mine was renting the Japanese version of Goldeneye on the N64 that regularly that he bit the bullet and shelled out sixty something quid on a copy, as it was still not out in the UK.

Ha! Just saw the in "1991" bit now. Now I just want to know what made you decide to ask this question now??

Eurogamer put up an article about expensive retro games, and there were Japanese Mega Drive games in it and that made me think of it. I can't get my head round it, the same cartridge played in different languages on two different machines from the same shop. I was about seven or eight at the time so my first-hand memory of it is shoddy, but he swears to this day that that's what happened.

• Paid Members

Hello friends,

I've been gifted a Dell XPS 700. It's a fucking massive thing. It's fairly old, 2006/7 I think. It's supposed to be a gaming rig.

I don't know much about upgrading these things. Some of you do, though!

What's the maximum RAM, graphics card etc I could feasible upgrade it to?

Thanks.

Archived