Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheap room heaters anyone? one's that work rather than circulate air endlessly? Moving to a new gaff and because of rules and regs heatings been drained whilst work is carried out so need to be warm... Cheers

• Paid Members

I'll get shot down for this Pat but if it's only gonna be you in the place then treat yourself to a onesie. I got one for Christmas and I've barely touched the thermostat since!

Very true. I own three onesies, including a spiffy ghostbusters one, and they're a God send during these colder months.

I'll get shot down for this Pat but if it's only gonna be you in the place then treat yourself to a onesie. I got one for Christmas and I've barely touched the thermostat since!

Very true. I own three onesies, including a spiffy ghostbusters one, and they're a God send during these colder months.

Cheers guys, not really considered onesies  to be honest  I shall have a think then

• Paid Members

Is there any way to convert FLAC to mp3?

If you search for "Free FLAC to mp3 converter" a very good one appears at the top of the searches. Use it with no problems.

Cheap room heaters anyone? one's that work rather than circulate air endlessly? Moving to a new gaff and because of rules and regs heatings been drained whilst work is carried out so need to be warm... Cheers

If your renting privately then I'm sure your land lord has to provide temporary heating, mine always have. Best look it up first though.

If anyone's any good with computers and could help me here that'd be great (I did search for a computers thread but it hadn't been posted in for three years so I thought I'd leave it be).

Anyway, I spilled beer into my laptop keyboard last Sunday and no surprise the thing is fucked. I think the motherboard has failed as if you can get it to start it cuts out very quickly, except when on safe mode where it seems to be fine which seems odd to me.

However I managed to get onto normal mode for 5 minutes the other day and quickly created a restore point. My question is, if the motherboard is nackered and I take it into a repair shop and they replace it with a new motherboard, will I be able to do a system restore and have not lost anything? Documents etc?

I know nothing about computers so sorry if this all a bit vague. Cheers.

If the motherboard is replaced, your current Windows installation won't boot. All the drivers (software) which communicates with the different components on the motherboard will all be wrong and the PC will keep restarting itself. The only way to get around that is to get the exact same motherboard you've got now.

If the computer is booting in safe mode it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the motherboard. If the motherboard is faulty it wouldn't POST and go past the boot-up stage. It sounds like there is an issue with your Windows installation or the hard drive is faulty.

If you boot the PC into safe mode and run command prompt, you can type the below bold commands in to check the hard drive for bad sectors.

chkdsk /f   (fixes errors on the disk)

chkdsk /r   (finds bad sectors and recovers readable data)

Okay. I've tried that and gotten the message:

'Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>'

I've entered N. It does that for both command prompts. What does that mean?

I don't suppose all of this could be linked to something as simple as when my computer was installing updates the other day I unplugged it when it told me not to? There's definitely been a spillage into the keyboard as some keys aren't working.

EDIT: On Windows normally and everything touch wood seems okay. Except for the keys not working that is... No cut outs so far.

If you press N, its not going to do anything because thats no. You need to press Y for yes. Restart the PC and then check disk will run before Windows boots. It can't check the disk if Windows is using the necessary hard drive partition to run the operating system.

Yes it can be caused by Windows updates getting corrupted on install. Hence why they tell you not to turn the PC off. If you boot into safe mode, (F8 on start-up) then go to System Restore look for a restoration point from a fortnight ago when the PC was working fine and restore it then.

Haha yeah I know it meant no I just wasn't sure I should hit yes not being sure what it does. Will give it a go when I get back home.

The machine is seeming to run fine though and hasn't cut out so far, so is a system restore needed now?

Archived