Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hi there! Thinking about going on a part-time course. Basically dying and wilting away here doing nothing. I fancy doing a ECDL (European Computing Driving Licence) course to update my SKILLZ. Do employers take these things seriously? I need a job bad. I've got an HNC and a HND in a previous life. Is it worth just updating my training by doing the ECDL?

Another one for any computer. I've tried to download a certain torrent client which has a U at the start of it. I have the application in my downloads folder, but nothing happens when I try to install it

Yeah, I get that too. Double click on the installation icon and nothing happens at all. Windows XP here.

Another IT question. I need a cheap laptop that I can take on the road and not worry about getting damaged. I don't expect it to do anything other than handle Photoshop and Illustrator. I found this for £200 in PC World. The salesman in there said it wouldn't handle it and I'd need to (conveniently) spend £400 on one. Was he talking bollocks?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/toshiba-satellite-c50-b-14d-15-6-laptop-black-10011201-pdt.html

Another one for any computer. I've tried to download a certain torrent client which has a U at the start of it. I have the application in my downloads folder, but nothing happens when I try to install it

It's probably best to stay away from that certain client right now, I'd even say look for version 2.2.1 and install that as it has no ads or crap bundled with it and works perfectly.

• Paid Members

Get Tixati.

Question: Has anyone ever actually found a job on LinkedIn? Or actually found it useful? I ask because I went to this sample lecture the other day and this guy was banging on about how important LinkedIn will be in finding employment and shit. I used to have one but deleted it because it seemed generally useless.

• Moderators

Yeah, I think my last contract was through a recruiter that find my profile on linked in.

I don't really actively use it much, but generally update it when I'm looking for work. I would consider it just like another place to put your CV, like you would in monster or something.

Obviously I'm sure it depends what sector you're in and what kind of job you're looking fit.

I didn't really want to start a new topic for this, so putting it in here.

Does anyone watch anything on Twitch?

I watch some poker streams on there, but I've never delved into anything else on there. Most streams are people playing video games (most of which I've never heard of). Which I would say is bizarre, but the fact I watch poker on there is equally so I imagine.

Some of the streams get into the hundreds of thousands, there's a game called League of Legends (sort of like world of Warcraft, I think) which gets an insane amount of viewers. It's so popular, as is all that sort of stuff.

Just now I decided to check out some Counter Strike competition (never played the game, but was curious) before work and the production levels are great. With real sponsorships behind it.

A lot of the streamers make money through donations and subscriptions, it really is a cool thing when you think about it. Some apparently can make thousands a day in donations.

No wonder why it sold for near a billion dollars, they have a ridiculous amount of active viewers.

Anyone else ever given it a watch? Or does anyone here even stream on there?

It's probably best to stay away from that certain client right now, I'd even say look for version 2.2.1 and install that as it has no ads or crap bundled with it and works perfectly.

Would a simple google search point in the right direction for this particular version?

Archived