Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

I was always a bit of an apple fiend due to use MAC G (add number) when doing a production degree a decade ago. iPhones came out just after I had finished and I'd used a 4th gen iPod before it. I had a few androids until around 2012 (iPhone 3) followed by 4. 

I then randomly picked up a HTC M8s with a phone upgrade a couple of years back and it was without a doubt the best phone I've ever had, I really really like it.

I was due an upgrade and got a iPhone SE with the idea of selling it on. However, my HTC was stolen within a week so I kept hold of the SE (using it now). In comparison I can't stand it. It's general usability isn't at the same standard. When setting it up I couldn't believe how intrusive it felt. But my biggest big bear is not being able to download audio files. Due to my band regularly recording, I get sent demos via email and listen to them on my phone.

As far as I'm aware I can't download directly to iPhone. It needs to be via my Mac/iTunes.

Is there a way to download audio from email attachments or am I correct in that it can't be done?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have to have AS/A Levels to do a degree?

I have very good GCSE grades but I only managed about 4 months of college due to finding alcohol and weed.

I want to do something in the evenings or open university (well aware it will take bloody ages), or shall I ease myself in with an A Level? Any advice would be great.

• Paid Members

No, you don't. I'm entering my third year of uni with only two A-C GCSE grades. If its evenings you're after, Birkbeck would be for you and aim at mature students. It won't take ages as you can complete a full degree in three years just attending in the evenings. 

• Paid Members

Another recco for Birkbeck; I did my MA there. Great campus, great faculty, excellent facilities. Only downside is, being an evening classes uni, there isn't much of a student social scene, as people really are there just for classes, the rest of their time being taken up by work. If you're just there for a degree, though, that doesn't matter too much.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Thanks guys, I'll look into it, and whether it's feasible. I'm not too bothered about the social aspect of things, although it would be nice to meet people, but rather just want to obtain my own degree more than anything.

A considerable number of colleges offer degrees too, usually accredited by a Uni. A lot of places offer Access to HE courses for mature students. It's basically a 1 year course for people in your position (as it was mine).

So at the time I did a year long access to HE course in my chosen programme, then a 2 year foundation degree and later on in life I did a top up year.

So there's quite a few options open to you. 

• Paid Members

Whatever university you decide on - if not the OU - I'm sure someone there would be keen for an informal discussion; there tends to be a fair bit of leeway on entry requirements, and moreso when you're not coming straight out of school, but a conversation can always help. I work somewhere with particularly low entry requirements, and even there not particularly set in stone if someone can make a good enough case for why they feel like they should be on the course.

The change in delivery, and in what's expected of you, between A-Level or equivalent and Degree level is so much that, unless it proves to be an absolute necessity, I don't think you'd gain much from getting A-Levels first. Some universities - or colleges with a higher education department - will allow you to sit one or two A-Levels alongside your degree programme, if it means you'll meet the entry requirements. Basically it's all about looking what's out there and finding what works, there are rarely strict rules.

Thanks for all the information guys, it's much appreciated. I've always been quite intimidated in applying as I've always thought a lack of A levels would hinder me.

It's not for professional reasons I want to do it, more to do with sense of self worth/achievement. I'd also like to do something that would really challenge me and take me out of my comfort zone, but sure I'll cave and do film studies or something :)

• Paid Members

I felt the same as you, Bacon. Always thought my lack of academic achievement would mean I'd never get on a degree program. As BomberPat says, unless you're straight out of school uni's are more interested in your life/work experience and why you want to do a particular degree rather than what qualifications you got 20 years ago or whatever. Good luck.

On 20/09/2017 at 12:48 AM, Onyx2 said:

My son and I have a set of these each. I use them at least 2 hours a day on my commute and his usage is more than that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B019DUFVT2/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They shut out external noise perfectly, good sound range to my heathen ears and are comfy. 2 weeks use on a single charge. The only slight downside is they're on the heavy side but you get used to that. 

Thanks mate that looks exactly what i am after.

"Express Lane - 10 Items Or Less"

Now, when faced with this in the supermarket, what do you say constitutes ten items?  For instance, does two bottles of pepsi count as one or two items?  I sort of side with Fitz from Cracker that it counts as one but then that opens up a whole hellish scenario.  If they allow that then you could use that criteria to buy 100 cans of baked beans.

Seriously, Brexit is a binary decision compared to this diplomatic nightmare.  Kissenger would shit it.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Now, when faced with this in the supermarket, what do you say constitutes ten items?  For instance, does two bottles of pepsi count as one or two items?  I sort of side with Fitz from Cracker that it counts as one but then that opens up a whole hellish scenario.  If they allow that then you could use that criteria to buy 100 cans of baked beans.

Seriously, Brexit is a binary decision compared to this diplomatic nightmare.  Kissenger would shit it.

Depends on the store tills. If the scan both it's 2, they scan one and punch in to account for the other 1 to 99 items it's 1

I bought a load of cans of brew the other week by just taking part of the display to the till, one scan and done quicker than buying my lunch. 

6 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Depends on the store tills. If the scan both it's 2, they scan one and punch in to account for the other 1 to 99 items it's 1

I bought a load of cans of brew the other week by just taking part of the display to the till, one scan and done quicker than buying my lunch. 

Interesting!  I noticed the girl behind me had 3 bottles of wine, all different, but in total there were about 17 items on the conveyor.  Like most people would do, I said fuck all and went home.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

My grandad-in-law would never pay any attention to the idea of the 10 items-or-less — he can definitely read enough English to understand it, but the people at the checkout never knew that.

Archived