Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

I went to Stuttgart two weeks ago for a few days away- see the Christmas markets etc. Seemed like it would be a decent place to live, big enough city with plenty going on without being too big or overwhelming. The train/tube system they have there is great and makes getting anywhere a piece of piss. The Mercedes-Benz and Porsche museums they have there are absolutely incredible too. German would undoubtedly be a shitload easier to learn than Swedish, too. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I tried learning German - I gave up because it felt so easy with some of its similarities to English, I thought I could put it on the back-burner for the mean-time and learn other more difficult ones.

The fact I haven't returned to it is more testament to my laziness than to its difficulty.

• Paid Members

German should be simpler as it's one of the roots of English isn't it, with French and Latin.

That's not to say its simple, just simpler I've always been led to believe.

Id rather learn German than welsh or Dutch.

I'm starting a German cause in January. I expect it to start badly and go downhill from there.

I got by fine in Belgium and Holland, because pretty much everyone spoke English. My limited GCSE French and German wasn't a massive amount of use to me in the relative countries, partly due to me being really bad at them and partly because I always struggled with them. 

• Paid Members

Amsterdam was ok, everyone spoke English and was selling hash or Yorkshire pudding.

On a road trip through the villages to Germany it wasn't as easy.

The only English speaking person I found in one town was a police man, and then it was very limited.

Edit: I did German for 4 years to gcse and it was all pets and siblings, nothing I ever use when I'm over there.

That's why I'm on a fucking course in the new year. The only useful thing I know is "my head ache's" and "my bottom hurts"

• Paid Members

German is really pish. I could probably still survive in Dusseldorf with the Standard Grade German I got in 1995. Really easy language. Probably the best to start off with. I did a Spanish night course a few years ago, managed to pass it, but really can't remember most of it. Quite difficult really. Spaniards talk too fast. Same with the French. German is really slow and I can always grasp all of the words.

• Paid Members

I got by fine in Belgium and Holland, because pretty much everyone spoke English. My limited GCSE French and German wasn't a massive amount of use to me in the relative countries, partly due to me being really bad at them and partly because I always struggled with them. 

There were some Flemish Belgian overseas students at my uni - the only Flemish/Dutch I picked up was "Hoe gaat het met jou?" and "Ik rake mijn balzak met een stok".

• Paid Members

Anyone got any hints and tips for straight razor shaving? I'm not happy with the shave I'm getting on my neck, so I'm going to give the straight razor another go, and hopefully it will be less like a video nasty this time.

What do you shave with at the moment?

Archived