Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks mate, hadn't thought of that.

What I'm trying to establish is whether it's a genuine auction with a genuine 6 million quid bid that somebody is actually going to pay for if they win. Surely there are rules and regulations that would stop such an auction staying online if it wasn't going to be paid for.

It's a genuine auction, but I suspect Gladders is suggesting it's not a genuine bid.

Presumably that won't be verified until the auction is over and no payment arrives, unless the seller can reject a particular bid.

Does Youtube update itself in ways that get around AdBlock? I've got Adblock on, but got a Youtube ad just now.

Adblockplus seems to block youtube ads better. Adblock, whilst great only seems to block things on youtube intermittently

Any mortgage fans/experts in here?

So I had a mortgage agreed in principle and am currently looking. Im wondering what happens when I have an offer accepted though, is there any chanceof the bank pulling out? I presume not as they have checked my pay slips, P60 and dont various credit checks and I bank with them so presumably know my spending history too. Anyone experienced in this?

• Paid Members

The mortgage offer normally lasts a certain period from my experience. For example, we had a mortgage agreed, our purchase fell through but a couple of months later we found somewhere else. I remember we completed just before the mortgage offer expired. Give the lender a call as it might vary depending on the bank/building society.

So I had a mortgage agreed in principle and am currently looking. Im wondering what happens when I have an offer accepted though, is there any chanceof the bank pulling out? I presume not as they have checked my pay slips, P60 and dont various credit checks and I bank with them so presumably know my spending history too. Anyone experienced in this?

The only problems you're likely to encounter are the mortgage not covering a particular type of property, only really a problem with flats as sometimes they won't lend on flats above shops or take aways or things like that.

The other one you might get is they may decide to value the property you're buying and say it's worth less than you're paying which could change your LTV (the % of the price you are borrowing) and put you at a higher interest rate. It's a bit of a scam and not much you can do about unless you want to go through the whole process with another lender. That is more common with remortgaging than buying through so you'll probably be OK.

Does Youtube update itself in ways that get around AdBlock? I've got Adblock on, but got a Youtube ad just now.

Adblockplus seems to block youtube ads better. Adblock, whilst great only seems to block things on youtube intermittently

I've got Adblockplus. I didn't know there was a non-plus version.

It's stopped blocking ads on WWE.com sometimes too.

The mortgage offer normally lasts a certain period from my experience. For example, we had a mortgage agreed, our purchase fell through but a couple of months later we found somewhere else. I remember we completed just before the mortgage offer expired. Give the lender a call as it might vary depending on the bank/building society.

Yeah im aware of the deadline, mine had ran out but extended it for another 3 months. I was more interested in whether that was set in stone or whether there were conditions in which the bank could pull out once you have an offer accepted.

The only problems you're likely to encounter are the mortgage not covering a particular type of property, only really a problem with flats as sometimes they won't lend on flats above shops or take aways or things like that.

The other one you might get is they may decide to value the property you're buying and say it's worth less than you're paying which could change your LTV (the % of the price you are borrowing) and put you at a higher interest rate. It's a bit of a scam and not much you can do about unless you want to go through the whole process with another lender. That is more common with remortgaging than buying through so you'll probably be OK.

Excellent thanks. I didnt know about the flat problem, the place im looking at isnt above a shop as such but is in a top floor of a building which does have shops on the ground floor but hopefully it wont be an issue.

Anyone know why George Lucas banned David Prowse from all official Star Wars conventions & stuff?

I went on his Wikipedia and it only says the following:

In July 2010, Prowse was banned from attending official Star Wars fan conventions by George Lucas. Lucas has given Prowse no reason, other than stating that Prowse "burnt too many bridges" between Lucasfilm and himself.

Have either of them made other comments about what led to it?

Archived