Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

The Takam fight makes sense as it will go down as Joshua's mandatory still as he next in line after Pulev, so the show doesn't get cancelled and AJ gets the mandatory defence out the way so he won't have to bother about having to reschedule against Pulev sometime early next year. Takem is a decent fighter but can't see him causing a problem and a case of how long it takes Joshua to get him out of there, I' reckon with six rounds.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Takam was on stand-by. He was scheduled to fight on the Monaco show on November 4th, just in case he wasn't needed a week before. 

yeh, just heard that, good to know.

1 hour ago, DJM said:

Who do we see as the next few challengers for AJ if he keeps winning? Wilder sometime next year and then Parker to collect all the belts? Who is he defending them against then? Tyson Fury if he sorts himself out?

it's hard to say at the moment, there's plenty of fringe guys awaiting a shot at the moment as well. It'll sort itself out over the course of the next year.

• Paid Members

hayemaker-ringstar-fight-night-tickets_1

yeh, it's an intriguing little fight card, a nice addition to the schedule.

It's a very tough debut for Joyce. The feeling seems to be that at 32 they want to come out of the blocks with a bit of a statement. Lewison blows hot and cold but it reports are to be believed he's taken this seriously, he went 11 rounds with Dylian Whyte on a week or so's notice last year so Joyce may be in tough. That said i don't think they'd have selected Lewison if they had many doubts, style-wise it must favour Joyce all day.

MVP of course brings intrigue anytime he fights. Looks like he's taking boxing seriously, he must be considering he's on the verge of big money fights with Bellator. Page comes into boxing bringing that kind of unorthodox set-up that McGregor brought into the Mayweather fight, Page taking the more conventional path though, should be exciting.

Don't know much about Willy Hutchison other than he's 19 and David Haye sings his praises massively (though he would).

Should be good.

• Paid Members

well mixed feeling coming out of that.

MVP's fight was much like most of his MMA bouts, in with a completely outmatched opponent. I think for a round and a half he was trying to hard to be flashy, looked more effective when he threw something simple. Boxing purists are gonna fucking hate him.

Joe Joyce had an odd debut. To stop a guy of Lewison's level on your debut is nice on paper but it didnt set the world on fire did it? you can point to it being a tough debut but Lewison looked terrible. Out of shape, shorts falling down and other than throwing the odd haymaker he stayed covered up. Joyce took his time but he seemed to lack any real power and i feel should have gotten rid of Lewison sooner. Im on the fence, Joyce did seem to improve as it went along though which was the book on him going in though. You cant be too critical after a single pro fight, but Joyce is no normal debuting fighter. Have to see what's next.

• Paid Members

didn't see it (i watched the sky show) but my mate said it was another Warrent drag-fest and that Warrington didn't get in the ring till gone 11, it's mind boggling how they still can't pace a show so that the main event happens at a decent time.

anyway's...

1-011_Anthony_Joshua_and_Carlos_Takam.jp

just a day away from Joshua/Takam. Who's watching? Maybe it's because im out in London Saturday night and won't get to see it live but i haven't been feeling the buzz, especially since the change to the main event, it very much feels like a routine defence, just happens to be in front of 75,000 people which is insane when you think about it. I can't really comment on Takam either because ive never seen him fight, i can't recall seeing Joshua fight a smaller man though how will barrell forward to get inside, that's the skinny on Takam so he may cause some issue if Joshua doesn't establish a jab early on.

Having seen the open workouts and stuff on in Cardiff im actually gutted i haven't popped down for a look, if i was going to the fight i'd have taken all that stuff in. It didn't really dawn on me until today that's it's a pretty unique event to have on your doorstep :(

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

You're not wrong about the lack of buzz, despite the pre-sold attendance. While I've seen a few local pubs advertise that they're showing it, the people I've asked about it, while interested because AJ, have all said they're not paying for it. They all reckon Takam is a bum, so why bother.

It's a good test of AJ's drawing power, this.