Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Had a house full. People kept turning up here. Fight technically wasn't great but did have a few shots landed that made it fun. Entertainment value though it was worth the money. Originally slated Fury but do have to say he's grown on me, he's just a big crazy bloke really isn't he. Shakes up a stale division IMO.

The rematch is on. I was thinking last night as Hennessey Sports are not tied down to a TV channel they are in a great position to bargain for a decent price for the rematch.

It looks like Degale had a fairly easy night against Bute. Degale won by 4 to 6 points on the score cards. They were saying in the Sun on Friday, a super fight to unify the division with Badou Jack would be next. The Super Middleweights have lost a lot of stars if that is seen as a super fight.

The rematch is on. I was thinking last night as Hennessey Sports are not tied down to a TV channel they are in a great position to bargain for a decent price for the rematch.

This is true to a point but as seen with Mayweather/Paq over here PPV revenues the big thing for promoters. Box Nation supposedly offered more than Sky upfront for the Mayweather/Paq fight. But the chance of a half decent PPV butyrate changes everything. So until another PPV providers in town the chances of this happening whilst Tyson has the belt is miniscule.

This is true to a point but as seen with Mayweather/Paq over here PPV revenues the big thing for promoters. Box Nation supposedly offered more than Sky upfront for the Mayweather/Paq fight. But the chance of a half decent PPV butyrate changes everything. So until another PPV providers in town the chances of this happening whilst Tyson has the belt is miniscule.

I was thinking about possibly terrestrial TV and they can make the money back through adverts. Fury's earlier fights were on Channel 5 and his fight against Chisora hit 5 million viewers. Imagine how many would watch a title fight rematch thats getting masses of media attention.

Your totally right. But PPV still does way more money than terrestrial. Remember they sell adverts on PPV here to. Just can't see it happening anymore. I mean Joshua's next fight against a bum is PPV. You can say goodbye to Fury on free TV for a while.

• Paid Members

Wasn't an easy fight for Degale at all. Bute was aggressive and competitive throughout. 

yeh, not easy night. DeGale clearly came out thinking he was going to walk through Bute. Bute absorbed it all and give as good back, great fight and one hell of at atmosphere in that new Canadian venue. Excellent scrap.

• Paid Members

Where do you rank Fury's win last night as far as a great win by a British boxer goes? When you look at how dominant Klitschko was and consider that he was unbeaten in 11 years, it's an amazing accomplishment. Regardless of Klitschko's age. And again, the fact he took a decision off Wlad in fucking Germany is all the more incredible. I think even the small number of people giving Fury a shot last night (although now all the experts who 'said all along that Fury would win' are out in force) wouldn't have fancied him getting a decision.

Was it a bigger achievement than Hatton's win over Tszyu, Benn's win over McClellan etc? It definitely wasn't as good a fight as those two but dethroning Wladimir Klitschko has to rank pretty fucking highly.

That was absolutely brilliant. Heavyweight boxing is back folks. Wilder, Joshua and Haye with Fury as Lineal Champion, brilliant.

I cannot believe Fury has said he will not give Haye a title shot due to previous cancelled matches. I think Haye always all talk and no tackle but the fight would draw big time. Possible sell out at Wembley Stadium and numerous PPV buys. He said he would vacate if Haye was made mandatory title contender but I think he is chatting shit. If he did vacate then Wlad would win the title back instantly. A fight against Chisora would probably draw well enough, sell out an arena at the very least.

I think a good chance of a rematch, another one which I think could sell out a stadium in England.

• Paid Members

Not the best fight ever but it's been one of the best heavyweight fights of recent times and Fury certainly has earned my respect for winning. I genuinely thought he would be spark out inside 30 seconds. Haye vs Fury would definitely draw, but it is not a fight I'd want to see. Too many has beens in the heavyweight division for me. However I think a rematch with Wlad could be dangerous for Fury, I'm not sure he could pull it off twice.

Would be surprised if Wlad wanted the re-match, I thought he was done with boxing after that fight anyway?

Because he couldn't time Fury, couldn't figure his rhythm and as such wouldn't throw as much because he didn't know what would come back around.

Boxing isn't swing-swing-hit-hope, it's called a science for the reason. You figure the other guy out, you work out when you can take the risk of moving your fist from your chin and hit your opponent and not get hit yourself. It's not that Klitschko wouldn't throw a bunch, or was a chickenshit, it's that Fury fought in a way that kept Klitschko in his shell.

It was technically quite superb.

Petrified? Wladimir Klitschko? Fucking hell. I hate post-big fight nonsense.

• Paid Members

Where do you rank Fury's win last night as far as a great win by a British boxer goes? When you look at how dominant Klitschko was and consider that he was unbeaten in 11 years, it's an amazing accomplishment. Regardless of Klitschko's age. And again, the fact he took a decision off Wlad in fucking Germany is all the more incredible. I think even the small number of people giving Fury a shot last night (although now all the experts who 'said all along that Fury would win' are out in force) wouldn't have fancied him getting a decision.

Was it a bigger achievement than Hatton's win over Tszyu, Benn's win over McClellan etc? It definitely wasn't as good a fight as those two but dethroning Wladimir Klitschko has to rank pretty fucking highly.

I think it would have been a bigger acheivement a couple of years ago. Not to take too much away from Fury but I do think the Wlad of a while ago would have had the confidence to stand and dictate the fight. This was a guy who's been on the downward curve meeting the first decent opponent for a while. Not taking anything away from Fury because there are a number of guys, including David Haye, who still wouldn't have got near Wlad on the night.

I wasn't interested in the fight because I find Fury a big repulsive cunt. Not because of the shit stunts but because he's genuinely repulsive. I did hope he'd get walloped.

We've had a bore as World Champ for a dozen years. Now we've got rid of him, we've got a fucking bellend. Ain't it bloody fair?

• Paid Members

Rick as a wrestling fan, aren't you glad to see Tyson as champ? He's an absolute buffon, but by Christ has the division longer for that. I can totally understand why the purists might detest him, but the carny wrestling mark inside of me loves him.

If this is the start of the end for Wlad, and with Chagaev knocking on, Povetkin's matches now taking place in Russia and Valuev & Vitali long gone, will the German strangelhold on the Heavyweight division now diminish? With the British influence in the division and a couple of Americans (Wilder holding the WBC title) too, it will be nice to see the things shift over to the UK and USA. American cards are generally better, are they not? Plus it's always nice to have big, meaningful fights on home soil too.

Edited by PunkStep