Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I don’t know. It’s a fight he’s got way less chance of winning and for what will surely be less money. Not sure why it’s more appealing. 

17 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

That's one of the problems of talking to wrestling fans about real fighting.They are trying to book dream matches with drama, excitement and ups and downs. professional fighting is unpredictable. You can book 2 guys to fight who should have an amazing bout, but end up with another Shamrock v Severn.

Eh? What’s this got to do with anything? It’s nothing to do with me being a pro wrestling fan or not. It’s all about two guys who’ve had a grudge for years, who should’ve fought by now, in a fight people are interested in. It’s not some far-fetched fantasy booking dream fight thing like ‘what if Ali fought Tyson’ and that type of nonsense. There’s no reason why Khan vs Brook shouldn’t happen. Other than Khan avoiding it. And while you absolutely can’t ever guarantee a fight delivers in ‘real fighting’, Khan vs Brook is more likely to be competitive and exciting than Crawford vs Khan.

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I don’t know. It’s a fight he’s got way less chance of winning and for what will surely be less money. Not sure why it’s more appealing. 

Because he's a professional boxer, that's why. You think Khan believes he can't beat Crawford? He'll be thinking that when he beats undefeated WBO champion Crawford at Madison Square garden and pockets the $5 million he's reportedly been offered that he's back in the big time, won't he?

A win, however unlikely to everyone except Khan, would help put him in a stronger position to face Pacquiao, which is his main driving force. 

The truth is, he's still too relevant for the Brook fight at the moment. 

14 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

There’s no reason why Khan vs Brook shouldn’t happen. Other than Khan avoiding it.

Yes, there is mate. I've just detailed it above. Why would he fight Brook when he's being offered the chance to face one of the best boxers on the planet, an undefeated world champion, at Madison Square Garden in a headline fight?

A bout with Brook is him basically admitting that he's run out of options on world level and is now backtracking to what is essentially British level, albeit for decent cash. Khan hasn't dropped that far in his career yet, he's still relevant to a certain degree on the world stage.

• Paid Members

All well and good but he’s barely ever mentioned fighting Crawford before and was actually on camera for IFL saying to Barry Hearn and to Brook’s face that he wanted to get the fight on. I get some of your points but he’s been moving the goalposts for so long now with his demands it’s ridiculous. I just get the feeling he’s going to keep delaying it while he waits for Brook to lose a fight or get injured and retire or whatever, then he’ll come out and go ‘Ahh and I was gonna fight Brook next but he’s just lost/got injured/retired/died’ or whatever. 

The Pacquiao thing seems to be the main thing he wants yeah. But surely beating Brook in a big stadium in a hyped grudge match would be just as likely to bag him the Pac-Man fight anyway? And again, it’s an easier fight, a bigger fight and more lucrative. And still most likely gets him the same end result of fighting Manny. It just seems like he’s going out of his way to take the hardest and least interesting route to Pacquiao if that’s what he wants. I’m sure he believes he can beat Crawford but he must know he’s got a better chance of beating Brook. Especially after Brook’s crappy showing against Zarafa. And plus he’d get the satisfaction of always having that over Brook when both retire. 

Crawford is definitely a legacy fight. If Khan somehow pulls that off it’s huge for him. But the Brook fight is also a different kind of legacy fight in that if it never happens it also puts a bit of a cloud over Khan’s legacy because history will show that Brook was chasing him and Khan, for whatever reason, wasn’t interested. It won’t massively harm him, he’s still had a good career. But it’ll always be something that comes up. Not the same thing but a bit like how Steve Collins is remembered now. Yeah he had those big wins over Eubank and Benn, but another thing that comes up almost as much as those wins is that he wanted none of Joe Calzaghe. 

I just think, while the Brook fight might be able to be made at a later date, this is probably the last chance where it’s going to be anything resembling a really big thing. Whatever you think of the fight itself or the men involved, there’s something there with these two where, especially for the last year or so when either of them have fought, it’s a fight people are talking about and want to see. But you look at both mens’ recent outings and you wonder how long that will be the case. Neither looked too good in their last fight. If it doesn’t get made soon it’ll either never happen or it will happen when people have stopped giving a fuck about it and they’re both shot. I don’t know if they think they can do the Mayweather vs Pacquiao thing and drag it out forever and it’ll break records or what, but it won’t because this isn’t Floyd vs Manny or anything close to it. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Brook has no other viable options other than Khan, i can see why he is desperate for the fight. It’s winnable, it’s a big name, he’ll make a load of cash and then either retire or chase a belt at 154lbs, Realistically thats where Brook should be fighting.

The problem is Theres no money at that weight. Lara, Hurd, Charlo Trout. All awkward high risk low reward fights. Even a domestic tussle with Beefy is a saturday night fight night non ppv event. Brook is in a shite position, that’s why he is jumping through hoops for Khan and Khan knows this. 

For the record i’m not arsed if the fight happens either way, but i’d probably still order it in.

How do people see the Degale/Eubank fight going?

• Paid Members

Could you explain to me how much relevance Khan has? He has lost 3 of his last 10 fights. He has fought twice since May 2016, the first of which was against a proper bum. He looks like he has spent more time in a jungle camp than a training camp, and is living on former glory at best. The last time he fought for a proper World Title at his actual weight was 2014, the last time he fought for a World Title was 2016, and the last time he won a World Title was 2011. That's proper titles, no "Silver" bullshit. 

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

All well and good but he’s barely ever mentioned fighting Crawford before and was actually on camera for IFL saying to Barry Hearn and to Brook’s face that he wanted to get the fight on.

He probably never mentioned Crawford because it was widely believed that Crawford's next fight was going to be against Danny Garcia, but when that fell through they offered Khan the fight.

Honestly, if you're a professional boxer and you turn down the chance to fight a pound-for-pound great, undefeated champion at Madison Square Garden on ESPN then you're probably in the game for the wrong reasons.

That's an offer you don't refuse.

7 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I get some of your points but he’s been moving the goalposts for so long now with his demands it’s ridiculous. I just get the feeling he’s going to keep delaying it while he waits for Brook to lose a fight or get injured and retire or whatever, then he’ll come out and go ‘Ahh and I was gonna fight Brook next but he’s just lost/got injured/retired/died’ or whatever.

He'll keep delaying the Brook fight until he stops getting offers that are more attractive from the US I'd guess. Once opportunities like the Crawford fight dry up he'll turn his attention to Brook probably.

8 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

The Pacquiao thing seems to be the main thing he wants yeah. But surely beating Brook in a big stadium in a hyped grudge match would be just as likely to bag him the Pac-Man fight anyway?

Beating Brook in a fight that not one solitary person outside the UK will give a fuck about, on TV in the US at lunchtime, would be just as likely to further his cause to face Pacquiao as a fight (and a win in his mind) against a current undefeated great for a title in New York?

Come on.

11 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Crawford is definitely a legacy fight. If Khan somehow pulls that off it’s huge for him. But the Brook fight is also a different kind of legacy fight in that if it never happens it also puts a bit of a cloud over Khan’s legacy because history will show that Brook was chasing him and Khan, for whatever reason, wasn’t interested. It won’t massively harm him, he’s still had a good career. But it’ll always be something that comes up. Not the same thing but a bit like how Steve Collins is remembered now. Yeah he had those big wins over Eubank and Benn, but another thing that comes up almost as much as those wins is that he wanted none of Joe Calzaghe. 

In fairness it's nothing like that at all, because Collins was accused of ducking someone who was relevant in Calzaghe.

Khan not giving Brook the fight is more like Ricky Hatton not fighting Junior Witter, and I don't think anyone today is looking back at Hatton's body of work during his career and saying "ah, but what about Junior Witter?"

Brook wants the Khan fight because there's really fuck all else on the table for him. It's easy to chase someone when you've got fuck all else of that level available, isn't it?

9 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Could you explain to me how much relevance Khan has? He has lost 3 of his last 10 fights. He has fought twice since May 2016, the first of which was against a proper bum. He looks like he has spent more time in a jungle camp than a training camp, and is living on former glory at best. The last time he fought for a proper World Title at his actual weight was 2014, the last time he fought for a World Title was 2016, and the last time he won a World Title was 2011. That's proper titles, no "Silver" bullshit. 

He's relevant enough to be offered the fight with Crawford, isn't he? He's also relevant enough to reportedly be offered $2 million more than the original opponent for Crawford was.

Once he doesn't get the call to face an undefeated world champion in America and is reduced to chasing fights in the UK we can probably say he's no longer relevant. If he loses this fight with Crawford badly, and there's every chance he does, then he'll probably have reached the stage in his career where fights of that magnitude are beyond his reach.

At that point he'll be irrelevant enough to accept the fight with Brook and just accept that he's not getting his dream fight with Manny.

55 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Eh? What’s this got to do with anything? It’s nothing to do with me being a pro wrestling fan or not. It’s all about two guys who’ve had a grudge for years, who should’ve fought by now, in a fight people are interested in. It’s not some far-fetched fantasy booking dream fight thing like ‘what if Ali fought Tyson’ and that type of nonsense. There’s no reason why Khan vs Brook shouldn’t happen. Other than Khan avoiding it. And while you absolutely can’t ever guarantee a fight delivers in ‘real fighting’, Khan vs Brook is more likely to be competitive and exciting than Crawford vs Khan.

I maybe should've tagged Ebb Shen in it, because that's who @David was quoting. Although Porkchop seems to be doing the same thing where he's fantasy booking fights for the sake of a story rather than actual competitive matches to see who the better competitor is and go up the rankings. As for Khan he hasn't been relative in the rankings for a long time and he really has become another Naseem Hamed. In so much as he had one big loss and lost all momentum as soon as he got near the top tier fighters. He's much more a name to more casual boxing fans than real die hards and I class myself as a casual fan more than anything at the moment.

Though a lot of that has to do with over saturation of fights within the sport, too many weight classes and organisations giving out belts. The same thing has happened with UFC over the past 18 months or so since the new owners took over. There's been at least one event a week and too many fights with divisional champions facing cans, so they can have a belt up for grabs on every card.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, David said:

He's relevant enough to be offered the fight with Crawfordďťżďťżďťżďťżďťż, isn't he? Hďťże's also ďťżrelevant enough toďťż reportedly be offered $2 million more than the origďťżinal opponent for Crawford was.ďťżďťżďťżďťżďťżďťżďťż

He has been offered the Crawford fight, but only because they know He isn't world title level any more. The extra money is just time pressure. They wanted Crawford to fight on that date and they couldn't get the original fighter to agree to the fight. Khan gets the extra money because he is willing to fight then, and to spite Brook. Double win for him. 

38 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

As for Khan heďťżďťżďťżďťżďťżďťżďťż hasn't been relative in the rankings for a long time and he really has become another Naseem Hameďťż

Rey_Siste. 

6 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

He has been offered the Crawford fight, but only because they know He isn't world title level any more.

He's been offered the fight because he's still a reasonably relevant name at this point. I'm not debating that Khan isn't on Crawford's level, what I'm saying is that while he's still relevant enough to be offered fights like this he's not going to entertain the idea of facing Brook.

• Paid Members

He's gone from relevant to reasonably relevant in less than 5 posts, a new record surely. What he will be after 5 more is anyone's guess.

Khan is good at keeping his name in the frame for lots of fights. He has name recognition value but no relevance as a fighter, ideal for Crawford. 

1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

He's gone from relevant to reasonably relevant in less than 5 posts, a new record surely. What he will be after 5 more is anyone's guess.

Khan is good at keeping his name in the frame for lots of fights. He has name recognition value but no relevance as a fighter, ideal for Crawford. 

He's fighting an undefeated world champion who is considered one of the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet at Madison Square Garden in the main event of the first ever joint ESPN-Top Rank pay-per-view card.

Them's the facts, fella. Like it or not, he's relevant. You want to know who isn't relevant? Kell Brook. He'll be lucky if he can get a ticket to see Khan fight Crawford, never mind be part of such an event these days.

Your statement that "Khan isn't beating Crawford, but despite that he wants to fight him based purely on not wanting Brook to make any money" is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

You honestly think Khan is taking the fight with Crawford not for the opportunity to win a world title in an iconic boxing arena in the main event of a US PPV against an undefeated pound-for-pound great and possibly grasp one last opportunity to fight Manny Pacquiao, but "purely" because he wants Kell fucking Brook to not make money? Seriously?

Sort yourself out.

• Paid Members

It's not the main reason, but it is part of the make up of his decision. Khan doesn't like Brook, that's very clear. Getting to headline a PPV with no expectation of winning against someone near the top of the pound for pound ranking isn't something new for Khan, he's done that 2 years ago. He is chasing Pacquiao the way Brook is chasing him, but he doesn't get the Pacquiao fight off the back of another loss.  

Do you know who I never pretended, or even hinted at having any relevancy for. Kell fucking Brook. I want to see that fight as a punter because it is a 50/50 fight. It was a better fight 4 years ago, but right now its a fight that either of them could win. Id pay to see that fight,  I won't pay to see Khan v Crawford, I wouldn't even bother to illegally stream Khan v Pacquiao.

On a personal note, I think you can be a little long winded at times but you are generally worth the trouble of reading in the topics I see you post in. Ending your posts with "Sort yourself out" Just makes you look like a complete bellend. You dont have a great wealth of superior knowledge on this subject, you are just the same as the rest of us, talking shite on a message board. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

Because he's a professional boxer, that's why. You think Khan believes he can't beat Crawford? He'll be thinking that when he beats undefeated WBO champion Crawford at Madison Square garden and pockets the $5 million he's reportedly been offered that he's back in the big time, won't he?

Agreed, but a Wembley Stadium fight with Brook surely has to be appealing too? If i was Khan i would think a Brook fight and then a potential Crawford fight would be the way to go. There's obviously more to the deal we know nothing about but as a fan, that's the way i wanna see it happen.

i know if Khan somehow beats Crawford he can call the shots and pull in the majority share against Brook in future if Brook keeps winning but that's an unlikely case at this point in Khan's career.