Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, assuming Joshua wins his Wembley fight in April, Hearn reckons he probably fights again around September or October time. So hopefully we get Fury vs Wilder 2 in the first half of the year then set up the big unification with AJ later in the year. 

Something will no doubt fuck it all up though and we end up with something really deflating like Joshua vs Big Baby, Fury vs Parker and Wilder vs Dave Allen 😆

Nah, I’m sure we’ll see some combination of AJ/Fury/Wilder. Wouldn’t mind seeing Whyte vs Big Baby somewhere in there either. Probably some fun to be had mixing and matching the likes of Takam, Price, Allen, Povetkin, Gashi etc. Hopefully the likes of Dubois, Gorman and Joyce keep improving and progressing. And I’m really interested to see how Usyk looks this year and what he can do at heavyweight. Exciting times.

Klitschko has even flirted with a comeback recently, which I’d rather he left alone at this point but would only add another flavour to an already tasty heavyweight stew we’ve got cooking. 

I watched an hour interview with Ben Davison the other day and he is keen on Joahua to fight Wilder and they fight the winner. I get the impression that there was no rematch clause for the draw. Furys demands now will be alot higher aswell, 50/50 Ben was saying. Despite not having the belt i really see Fury as the one in the driving seat, especially with the fans. 

It doesnt matter if Fury fights a bum and doesn't look great, as long as Fury stays undefeated theyl always be the lineal champion tag which he has and can use to sell the fight.  

I can see Wilder/Brezeale. Joshua/Whyte and Fury maybe not fighting again till the end of the year. He needs a break after 12 months in camp.

• Paid Members

In a way that would be better anyway because Joshua vs Wilder unifies the belts then the winner vs Fury is for all the gold and even bigger.

Imagine Joshua vs Fury at Wembley for all the belts?! An absolute monster event. 

• Paid Members

thats the dream.

there's no way Fury can demand 50/50 for a Joshua bout at Wembley without that WBC belt though, it just wont happen.

I just hope Fury gets back in action in the first quarter of this year, im afraid any time off will lead him down a bad path again.

• Paid Members

I gave up on it anyway, to be honest. It was clear Khan never wanted it and it got to the point where, as much as I wanted to see it, I realised how much would I really want to see a fight where one of them doesn’t really want it? 

Doesn’t make sense really. He’s turning down Brook, which I think most see as a pretty 50/50 thing at this stage, certainly a winnable fight and one that could easily be hyped into a big payday despite both men being past their peak. He’s turned that down to fight Crawford in a fight he’s much more likely to lose for what will surely be less money. It can only be what Hearn and others have said, that Khan is thinking he could live with a loss to Crawford much easier than a loss to Brook. Which if you’re thinking negative like that anyway, isn’t a good sign if you’re in a sport as brutal as boxing. 

I know Brook isn’t the most loved boxer in Britain but I still don’t get how anyone sides with Khan in this. Every now and then I see or hear comments like ‘haha Khan’s trolling him. Brook is so desperate’ etc. I don’t get it. Since when did the guy chasing the fight the majority of the boxing fans want become the laughing stock and the one ducking the fight get the praise? If Khan thinks he’s ‘won’ something by trolling then I don’t see what. Because this whole tiresome rigmarole has just made him look like he’s running scared. I don’t think it’s as simple as that of course. He fought Canelo, Garcia, Maidana etc. And he went for it, which is partly what makes him so exciting to watch and partly what makes him vulnerable. He’s not scared of Brook but he’s made it look like he is. He’d have been better off just going full heel and saying ‘I’m not fighting Brook. Ever. That bum doesn’t deserve to share the ring with me. It’s never happening. Stop asking’. Kill it dead and people would have just had to deal with it, rather than all this bollocks about weight limits and Pacquiao and rehydration and shit. Then he came out with that stuff about Brook being gay the other week. He’s came off terribly in all this for me. Genuinely don’t get how anyone could side with him over Brook in this whole thing. 

But whatever. Doesn’t matter now because it’s never happening. Now Khan gets slapped about by Crawford for less money because he bottled signing to fight his biggest rival Brook in what would’ve been one of the biggest domestic grudge matches in years. Whatever he thinks now I’ve got a feeling he’s really going to look back and regret this because it’s a huge fight he could absolutely win and would be kind of a career definer as well as being a sweet retirement fund. Barmy. 

Khan knows even if he loses in bad fashion against Crawford the Brook fight is always going to be there because Brook is desperate for that pay day. I got no problem with him going in there against one of the best P4P fighters in the world and fighting for a world title over fighting Brook next. 

• Paid Members

i reckon doing it the other way around would be more beneficial, beat Brook, earn big then try making the potential Crawford fight which itself would be bigger coming off the back of a Brook win.

57 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i reckon doing it the other way around would be more beneficial, beat Brook, earn big then try making the potential Crawford fight which itself would be bigger coming off the back of a Brook win.

What if he loses to Brook? Then there's no Crawford fight, is there? And when you're talking about someone with a chin like Khan there's no guarantees.

• Paid Members

People keep going ‘the Brook fight will always be there’ but will it? I just think even after Khan loses to Crawford, he won’t want the Brook fight. If he doesn’t want it now, he really won’t want it coming off a loss to Crawford and risking losing two on the bounce. Based on his actions not so much his words, Khan has given us no reason to believe he’ll ever go for this fight. Plus Brook isn’t going to be around forever. He probably only has a handful of fights left in him.

And in the end, if it couldn’t get made now when both men are with Matchroom, both coming off a win, both in the same kind of spot in their career, with the boxing public wanting it and their promoter Eddie Hearn being vocal about wanting it...I’m not convinced it’s ever happening. Now seems to be the most straight forward and logical time to do it and it’s still not happening. 

13 minutes ago, David said:

What if he loses to Brook? Then there's no Crawford fight, is there? And when you're talking about someone with a chin like Khan there's no guarantees.

That's one of the problems of talking to wrestling fans about real fighting.They are trying to book dream matches with drama, excitement and ups and downs. professional fighting is unpredictable. You can book 2 guys to fight who should have an amazing bout, but end up with another Shamrock v Severn.

• Paid Members

Khan isn't beating Crawford, but despite that he wants to fight him based purely on not wanting Brook to make any money. A fight between Khan and Brook while making more money is probably 50/50 on what breaks first, Khan's chin or Brooks eyes. 

Khan has spent big chunks if his career chasing fighters who were never going to fight him, or poncing around I'm A Celeb. He is looking for fights now to try and secure his boxing legacy, but he will only be remembered as the bellend of I'm A Celeb or the man who knocks children over with a massive ball. 

23 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

People keep going ‘the Brook fight will always be there’ but will it? I just think even after Khan loses to Crawford, he won’t want the Brook fight.

Oh, Khan wanting the fight is questionable, but even if he loses to Crawford it will still be there for him, won't it? I never really envision a day where Khan says "right, let's get this Brook fight sorted" only for Brook to say "nah, you're alright mate."

24 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Now seems to be the most straight forward and logical time to do it and it’s still not happening. 

Not for Khan it isn't. The Crawford fight is far more appealing, surely?