Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh its commendable, no doubt. Any notion that Khan is afraid of Brook the man is almost as ludicrous as Rey Piste's previous statement. Amir Khan has made a career out of taking incredibly difficult challenges. The guys a credit to the sport.

I read Reys post to mean the money isn’t there in relation to other fights that are. If you’re going to have a fight that doesn’t improve your standing, take the one that pays. The Brook fight is a domestic one, it’s a pension fund fight. take it when you’re not on the world stage anymore. 

• Paid Members

anyways, away from that ITV's PBC deal kicks off next week. We got the usual backlash to the PPV announcement of DeGale/Eubank but we also get a ton of free fights through the ITV platforms and the ITV hub.

next Sunday night kicks off with this...

uzcategui-v-plant-tickets_01-13-19_17_5c

Then we get this little shindig the following weekend.

Pacquiao_vs_Broner.jpg

good times.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

How many times have you heard people saying they don't like Khan because he's like Hamed? Personally I think they're total opposites. Khan gets called brash and arrogant by these arseholes but I don't see that.  I see a relatively humble guy who does loads of community work, not community service. There is one glaring similarity between Khan and Hamed and that's why some people hate him.

Fury rightly got pelters for his comments on gays and abortion.  Imagine if Khan said it. I don't think the public would be as forgiving. Sama as when AJ said stuff about his niece. I'm sure had Khan said he thinks girls should be modest and not lead men on, there would be noises about putting them in burkas and how he should piss off to Pakistan etc. 

Completely agree with this. The comparison between Khan and Naz never made any sense to me, as you say they’re nothing alike. In personality or fighting style. Anytime someone brings that up it’s a big red flag and a sure-fire indication that they’re a prejudiced twat. Because the only similarity is their religion and skin colour.

To compare the two myself, I’d have to say I preferred Naz. Just because I love the showman element of what he was about. Besides his obvious skills, his power was ridiculous for a man his size, it was his antics during his entrances and interviews and even during fights that got me as a fan for life. Even now, if Fat Naz is doing an interview with IFL or whoever, I’m clicking on it. But purely as a fighter, Khan is much more up my street. He’s almost incapable of having a boring fight and kind of has that thing like Nigel Benn did where him being susceptible to being tagged yet still being willing to trade with anyone, though clearly not always a good thing, makes him even more exciting to watch. 

I’ve got no real issue with Khan. And certainly nothing to do with his race or religion. My ranting basically boils down to me wanting to see the Brook fight and being frustrated with it keep seeming to get close then getting further away. I’ve never thought Khan is scared of Brook man to man. That theory makes no sense when you look at the guys Amir has been in with, including a few who are better than Brook. I had him ahead against Canelo before he got cracked. But he’s clearly never wanted the Brook fight and it hasn’t always been because there were better fights being offered. In this case it might be that but it’s a fight that’s been talked about for years that for whatever reason has never materialised. There’s more to it and none of us know for certain. There have been great points raised on both sides over the last few pages and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle and isn’t as black and white as either side have argued. I do think it’ll be a shame if Khan vs Brook never happens though. And it feels like it’s going to be the case. 

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

To compare the two myself, I’d have to say I preferred Naz. Just because I love the showman element of what he was about. Besides his obvious skills, his power was ridiculous for a man his size, it was his antics during his entrances and interviews and even during fights that got me as a fan for life. Even now, if Fat Naz is doing an interview with IFL or whoever, I’m clicking on it. But purely as a fighter, Khan is much more up my street. He’s almost incapable of having a boring fight and kind of has that thing like Nigel Benn did where him being susceptible to being tagged yet still being willing to trade with anyone, though clearly not always a good thing, makes him even more exciting to watch. 

I'm exactly the same!  The showmanship and self confidence, coupled with the unorthodox angles he threw from is why I often said McGregor the Hamed of MMA*.  It was so disappointing that the fire went out after he got beat.

(*Obviously one of McGs best features is learning from losses and still having the fire in the belly, but the comparison is twofold.  Firstly, the striking that I mentioned and secondly, the red flaggers that you mentioned absolutely despise having the guy they worship and try and dress like being compared to a brown skinned muslim)

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm exactly the same!  The showmanship and self confidence, coupled with the unorthodox angles he threw from is why I often said McGregor the Hamed of MMA*.  It was so disappointing that the fire went out after he got beat.

Yeah, I think there was some of that and also his hands were in bits from stuff I’ve read and watched over the years. 

There was a great interview he did with Gary Newbon years ago where he talked about that, as well as the rest of his career. I can’t find it on YouTube but if you’re on Sky you can find it on the On Demand thing there. ‘Sporting Heroes: Naseem Hamed’, it’s called on there. 

It does seem a bit like he’s making excuses. I think Barrera, as good as he was at the time, would’ve given Naz problems no matter what. But I do think a combination of Naz’s hands breaking down and his overconfidence and complacency probably played their part as well. 

Just noticed that the full Sky Box Office version of Hamed vs Barrera is on YouTube. Naz’s entrance is around 40-odd minutes in. 

44 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I do think it’ll be a shame if Khan vs Brook never happens though. And it feels like it’s going to be the case. 

I think we'll get it after the Crawford fight. The way Khan's been talking it's as though he believes the Brook fight will be there for him when he's exhausted all options at world level. 

I actually think it was close to being done until Bob Arum picked up the phone with the Crawford offer, which has turned his head.

• Paid Members

The one thing here i don't agree with is the feeling here that Brook is some kind of domestic level Welterweight and that Khan's way above his level. That's twaddle really, Khan may have more name recognition in the States and that's why he's nabbed the Crawford bout but Khan hasn't held a version of the World Title in six years, Brook was a World Champion until May of 2017. Also gotta remember, Brook won the belt from Shawn Porter in America! Arguably a better win that anything on Khan's record.

The general feeling in boxing is Brook could be damaged goods but loses to GGG and Errol Spence are what they are, losses to the elite of the elite, one of which was way out of his weight class. Brook could prove doubters wrong and be a World Champion again before Khan. 

Edited by Egg Shen