Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

some good fights between the two cards, if i had to pick one to watch live id probably lean toward the Sky show but im working a night shift so i cant watch either live.

Im fancying Whyte by stoppage. Reports are saying Chisora is in the best shape of his career and he seems up for it but ill take Whyte to do a bit of a job on him.

Warrington by points too is where the money is. I think he'll just outwork Frampton over the 12, lots of punches and some headbutts on the inside for good measure.

I've ordered the SKY show. 

A) Because my old man said he would go halves with me for it. And he's not interested in the BT card.

B) Because I am still a Del Boy fanboy at heart. 

C) Because ordering from BT is a right ballache as a SKY customer. The process for ordering the Fury vs Wilder fight was a right shambles. And was for many others. I get that it was their first PPV event. But I can't be arsed going through the same process again. It's far easier to order from SKY (one click and you are done). 

Anyway, I think Chisora will have his moments this evening. But ultimately, I expect Whyte to prevail on points. I don't think Whyte quite has it in him to finish an in-shape Del Boy. Only Haye and Fury have managed to finish Chisora. 

• Paid Members

Talk in the pub last night turned to boxing, and a question was asked that none of us could answer as we only class ourself as casual boxing fans these days. Basically, the question was how often do we get top level "minimum weight" division matches on TV over here? I can't remember ever seeing one...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

C) Because ordering from BT is a right ballache as a SKY customer. The process for ordering the Fury vs Wilder fight was a right shambles. And was for many others. I get that it was their first PPV event. But I can't be arsed going through the same process again. It's far easier to order from SKY (one click and you are done). 

How were you ordering Jim? I’ve had no issues ordering off BT and I’m a Sky customer. You just press the Box Office button, then click the Box Office option and press Select on the show to order. For me it was the first Canelo vs Golovkin fight on Box Nation that was a right bastard to order. Remember that bollocks where it was PPV but was supposed to be free if you were a Box Nation customer? Only they waited until the weekend of the fight to clarify that if you get Box Nation as part of your BT subs the offer didn’t count. I had a right fuck about with that. BT’s been as straight forward as Sky for me. 

But yeah, it’s the Sky show for me tonight. 

Both Whyte and Chisora are looking in really good shape for this;

RNrk2o.jpg

Chisora in particular really looks in the best condition I think I’ve ever seen him. You get the feeling he knows this is his last run and it’s motivated him to really put the work in. That plus he was so close to beating Whyte last time (I actually scored it to Chisora at the time) that it’s probably pushed him to really go that extra mile in camp. Probably feels like a little bit extra here or there last time, an extra spar or that extra cardio session or whatever might’ve made the difference and got him the W in 2016. 

Here’s a before/after comparison of how Chisora looked for their first fight and how he looked on the scales yesterday;

Tn4hUz.jpg

Not a humongous difference but he definitely looks better. Like I said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him in better shape. 

That doesn’t mean everything, obviously, and I’m still leaning towards a Whyte points win. But Chisora has clearly gone all-out in his training. Seems fired up as fuck as well if the weigh in shenanigans are anything to go by. 

Carlos Takam is on the undercard as well. Was he a late addition? Didn’t see him listed when I posted the undercards the other day. 

As you’d expect, the Warrington vs Frampton weigh in wasn’t nearly as heated;

2KTIy8.jpg

Should be a good fight. Really hope Frampton wins this, can’t stand Warrington. But like a few of you have said, I’ve got a bad feeling Warrington edges it. Might depend on what the referee is like to some degree. For all that was made of Warrington’s workrate and pace against Selby, the constant headbutting was arguably Warrington’s most effective weapon. Selby looked flat and lacklustre himself but I really felt like the Warrington headbutts were a massive factor. If we see more of that here then it might come down to what the ref lets him get away with. He was pretty much given free reign against Selby, hopefully the ref is on it tonight. Headbutts aside I think Frampton is still going to have his work cut out keeping up with Warrington though. But it’d be nice if we get a good, clean fight with no controversy or excuses after. 

The Saturday Night Wars. Here’s Warren and Hearn with the last minute hard sell on IFL, which is basically the equivalent of the old PPV go home Raw/Nitro back in the day. 

Fish Eyes: “This is a proper PPV. Don’t buy the imitation. This is not recycling, this is the best fighting the best.”...

Essex Eddie: “Everybody wants to watch this. It’s the heavyweight division. This is fackin’ bad boy shit. Do not miss it! Do not miss it!”

35 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

How were you ordering Jim? I’ve had no issues ordering off BT and I’m a Sky customer. You just press the Box Office button, then click the Box Office option and press Select on the show to order

I tried to order it through the SKY box, but it wouldn't let me. I then tried to order it online. My order had seemingly gone through, but the page froze after I clicked confirm. The Fury vs Wilder card started and it became clear that the order had not gone through. To make matters worse, the BT ordering page went down for an hour or so. I ended up re-ordering it around 2am when the page came back up.

Perhaps BT just had issues on the night of that specific fight. Or maybe there was an issue on my end somewhere. 

40 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Fish Eyes: “This is a proper PPV. Don’t buy the imitation. This is not recycling, this is the best fighting the best.”...

Frank went approximately 3 minutes without mentioning Matchroom or Hearn. A new record perhaps? 

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

Talk in the pub last night turned to boxing, and a question was asked that none of us could answer as we only class ourself as casual boxing fans these days. Basically, the question was how often do we get top level "minimum weight" division matches on TV over here? I can't remember ever seeing one...

It's very rare because most of the best fighters at strawweight are Thai, Japanese or Mexican and are largely unknown. There was a minimum weight title fight on the Fury/Wilder undercard. I don't know if it aired here but the result of the main event probably over-shone it anyway.

I will reserve judgement about Chisora until I have seen him fight. Can't believe a word of what he's saying now he's got that twat David Haye as his manager. The talk about his physique is a red herring, he's 3lb's lighter than his last fight. For a 17 stone, professional fighter that's nothing. I shit out a lb in the morning and I work in I.T.

• Paid Members

Yeah but conditioning isn’t all just about lbs. You could weigh pretty much exactly the same one year to the next but be in better condition 12 months later due to a change in diet, added muscle etc. I’m no fighter and I’m little fucker, a bit of a minimumweight if you will, my weight stays around 9.5-10st all year round no matter what I do or how much I eat or shit out. But depending on if I’m on my running, BJJ etc I can be in much better shape in a 3 month span but the numbers pretty much stay the same on the scales I just tone up a bit. 

I think it’s clear Chisora has trained hard for this, looking at his physique. He’s not looking anywhere near as soft as he has in the past and he looks strong and healthy. Like I said, that doesn’t mean he’ll win or anything. But it shows he’s at least coming in motivated. 

David Haye as always had sucked me into believing what he is saying, i have visions of Chisora going to WAR like Hagler and getting the better of Whyte, but in reality Delboy sorta lucked out in his last fight. Whyte is younger, longer reach, overall fresher and probably technically better than Delboy, but Haye has told me he’s going to WAR so i’m backing Delboy.

39 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah but conditioning isn’t all just about lbs. You could weigh pretty much exactly the same one year to the next but be in better condition 12 months later due to a change in diet, added muscle etc. I’m no fighter and I’m little fucker, a bit of a minimumweight if you will, my weight stays around 9.5-10st all year round no matter what I do or how much I eat or shit out. But depending on if I’m on my running, BJJ etc I can be in much better shape in a 3 month span but the numbers pretty much stay the same on the scales I just tone up a bit.

Yes this can be done as a gradual transition over a 1 year period. Chisora has had 5 months since his last fight and I bet he had a good long rest after that.

I'm the same as you. I tick over with cardio every week and can pretty much eat what I like as my weight doesn't change. But there is a big difference between 10 & 17 stone. If you're eating right, training hard, doing the road work. That weight would drop off in a 2/3 month training camp. A 6 foot 2" man shouldn't be 17 stone that's classed as obese by the BMI scale. Of course, there are different body types and there are exceptions like Joshua but his fat % will be a lot different to Chisora's because he has consecutively trained hard and built his body up to pure muscle. But for Chisora who lacks technical ability and is a slow plodding slugger. The desired weight must be a ratio between speed and power. If he cuts weight, will he lose the power? It's an unknown quantity.

• Paid Members

If you told me before 2016 that Dillian Whyte and Dereck Chisora would have two FOTY contenders I’d have laughed and said ‘who’s the donkey?’ Turns out it’s me who’s the donkey. Great fight. Chisora fought like a lion but he was never maintaining that pace for the full 12 rounds. Whyte held up and weathered the storm. That left would’ve KO’d a donkey!

Had Warrington vs Frampton spoiled by a mate. Sounds like that was a hell of a fight. I’ll have to watch it tomorrow.