Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

27 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It's not the main reason, but it is part of the make up of his decision. Khan doesn't like Brook, that's very clear.

Then why did you say he was taking the Crawford fight knowing that he couldn't win, doing so "purely" so that Brook wouldn't make any money? That was what you said.

Getting to headline a PPV with no expectation of winning against someone near the top of the pound for pound ranking isn't something new for Khan, he's done that 2 years ago. He is chasing Pacquiao the way Brook is chasing him, but he doesn't get the Pacquiao fight off the back of another loss.  

He's a solid pro, and I don't doubt for a second that he has the utmost belief that he can upset Crawford and win the title. That's why he's taking this fight, because he believes he can beat the odds, prevail against an unbeaten pound-for-pound great and do it all in the US.

Nothing to do with Kell Brook at all.

On a personal note, I think you can be a little long winded at times but you are generally worth the trouble of reading in the topics I see you post in. Ending your posts with "Sort yourself out" Just makes you look like a complete bellend. You dont have a great wealth of superior knowledge on this subject, you are just the same as the rest of us, talking shite on a message board. 

Not on this occasion, I'm talking common sense. I view your posts in a similar manner, you usually know your onions when it comes to boxing but for some reason you're letting yourself down on this one. Is it dislike of Khan? Your dismissive posts about him being irrelevant and nothing more than a reality show contestant suggests that something is clouding your usual sense in this situation.

He's not fighting Brook because he's been offered a chance to fight for a world title against a pound-for-pound great, it's that simple. Any boxer worth his salt would take the Crawford fight over the Brook fight.

23 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Agreed, but a Wembley Stadium fight with Brook surely has to be appealing too? If i was Khan i would think a Brook fight and then a potential Crawford fight would be the way to go. There's obviously more to the deal we know nothing about but as a fan, that's the way i wanna see it happen.

What makes you think the Crawford fight would be there at a later date? Say Khan knocks this one back, and Crawford faces someone else. What's to say that later on the Crawford fight doesn't ever come back around? What then?

This is probably where @Rey_Piste was hinting at wrestling fans applying wrestling booking to real sports. It doesn't work like that. There isn't one promoter who's deciding that Khan beats Brook, Crawford beats whoever he'd fight instead of Khan in April and they both meet later down the line.

i know if Khan somehow beats Crawford he can call the shots and pull in the majority share against Brook in future if Brook keeps winning but that's an unlikely case at this point in Khan's career. 

If Khan can beat Crawford I'd tend to believe that Brook would be so far outside his future plans that they'd be as well living on different planets. A win against Crawford for Khan is one surefire way of the Brook fight never happening. Khan would be a world champion and back in the big time picture. He wouldn't be pissing about with the likes of Kell Brook for a long time to come.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

the Crawford fight may not be there after a Brook fight, i understand boxing is all about seizing oppurtunites when they present themselves which is likely why Khan chose the Crawford fight and i cant really knock someone chasing the glory even though he'll get caned on the night... but as a British fight fan though, its disappointing that he's not taken the Brook fight.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, David said:

Then why 

If Khan can beat Crawford I'd tend to believe that Brook would be so far outside his future plans that they'd be as well living on different planets. A win against Crawford for Khan is one surefire way of the Brook fight never happening. Khan would be a world champion and back in the big time picture. He wouldn't be pissing about with the likes of Kell Brook for a long time to come.

you dont think a World Title PPV show in the UK at Wembley Stadium where Khan would likely take the majority share of the money would appeal to him? 

the Crawford fight may not be there after a Brook fight, i understand boxing is all about seizing oppurtunites when they present themselves which is likely why Khan chose the Crawford fight and i cant really knock someone chasing the glory even though he'll get caned on the night... but as a British fight fan though, its disappointing that he's not taken the Brook fight.

As a British fight fan I'll be backing Khan all the way in the hopes that he can go to America and take a world title against all odds, much like I would hope any British fighter could. 

Look at it this way, Brook isn't going anywhere. He'll still be there for Khan after the Crawford fight most likely, won't he? Which is something that you can't say about Crawford if Khan had passed up that opportunity.

This is a chance, no matter how slim, of a world title and beating a true great of the modern fight game. You don't pass that up.

19 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

you dont think a World Title PPV show in the UK at Wembley Stadium where Khan would likely take the majority share of the money would appeal to him?

Personally? No, I don't think so. 

If Khan somehow beats Crawford I think we'd maybe see a rematch in the UK, which would be huge, or he'd go after Pacquiao. Failing either of those he'd be well positioned to face someone like Errol Spence, Keith Thurman, Shawn Porter or even Danny Garcia at a push.

Could you imagine Khan defending a world title against Manny Pacquiao in Britain? Or defending his title against Crawford in the UK? Both of those are bigger than the Brook fight I reckon.

• Paid Members

I've nothing against Khan, he's just not the fighter he thinks he is, and it's disappointing he wasted so much time not fighting. 

As for being a solid pro. If you are getting punched in the face for money, then you take the fight that makes you the most of it. That is the Brook fight. If he loses to Crawford the Paquiao fight is a non starter, then he's potentially lost more money. 

Him v Brook is 50/50 with a big payday followed by the chance of another big payday if he wins. Him v Crawford is 5 million dollars for a fight he has a 10% chance of winning at best. A defeat diminishes the Brook payoff and ends the Pacquiao one. Be a solid pro, and make the most money you can. 

20 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Secondly learn how to quote properly and stop double posting.

Much like the Khan vs Brook fight, I think it's too late for this to happen.

C'mon lads, it's bloody obvious.  Sure, we'd all like to see this fight or that fight but look at the scenario.  There are two fights on the table, if a boxer takes fight 'A' first, fight 'B' is still on the table regardless of the result.  If he takes fight 'B' first and loses, fight 'A' doesn't happen.

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There are two fights on the table, if a boxer takes fight 'A' first, fight 'B' is still on the table regardless of the result.  If he takes fight 'B' first and loses, fight 'A' doesn't happen.

Bang on.

I honestly don't know how many times I can say it, or how many different ways I can try to say it. If Khan loses to Crawford all that's happened is he's lost to one of the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet, a guy who's undefeated and who is thoroughly expected to rattle Khan.

Such a loss doesn't diminish any potential Brook fight at all. Fans who wanted to see Khan fight Brook aren't going to suddenly say "nah, the fight ain't as good now. I mean, if Khan can't even beat Terrence Crawford then what's the point of watching this fight?!?"

He's got a championship opportunity, probably his last chance in all honesty, and if he loses he can then fight Brook anyway.

If he wins though, then it opens the door to a fight with Pacquiao in the UK possibly, or a rematch with Crawford in the UK, both of which are bigger than a fight with Brook.

And anyone who thinks that Khan beating Kell Brook leads to him getting the Pacquiao fight is insane.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

@Egg Shen Boxing isn't professional wrestling, stop trying to book fights like it is. Secondly learn how to quote properly and stop double posting.

what the hell are you talking about? 

and i genuienly don't know how to double quote thing David does apologies if it offends anyone.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

and i genuienly don't know how to double quote thing David does apologies if it offends anyone.

This only works if the posts are on the same page but what I do is highlight the text to reply to, then press the "Quote selection" button and it starts a new post with it.  Then I reply to that and highlight the next bit to reply to and rinse and repeat.

Fuck knows how if its over two pages though!

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i reckon doing it the other way around would be more beneficial, beat Brook, earn big then try making the potential Crawford fight which itself would be bigger coming off the back of a Brook win.

This is what I am talking about. Your fantasy booking of Amir Khan beating Brook to then face Crawford and make more money. It doesn't work in reality, any fighter given a chance to fight someone for a title will take the title fight 9 times out of 10. There are no certainties in the fight game, you can't go saying that fight will always be there, because people get injured, retire or just get a pasting and move down the ranks.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, David said:

Bang on.

I honestly don't know how many times I can say it, or how many different ways I can try to say it. If Khan loses to Crawford all that's happened is he's lost to one of the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet, a guy who's undefeated and who is thoroughly expected to rattle Khan.

Such a loss doesn't diminish any potential Brook fight at all. Fans who wanted to see Khan fight Brook aren't going to suddenly say "nah, the fight ain't as good now. I mean, if Khan can't even beat Terrence Crawford then what's the point of watching this fight?!?"

He's got a championship opportunity, probably his last chance in all honesty, and if he loses he can then fight Brook anyway.

If he wins though, then it opens the door to a fight with Pacquiao in the UK possibly, or a rematch with Crawford in the UK, both of which are bigger than a fight with Brook.

And anyone who thinks that Khan beating Kell Brook leads to him getting the Pacquiao fight is insane.

all valid points, but if Khan takes on Brook and beats him why wouldn't be in line for one of those welterweight belts afterwards? you think his stock goes down after beating Kell Brook in the early parts of this year whilst also pocketing a boat load of money? Khan just scraped by a Samuel Vargas and got a World Title shot. Brook would be his most relevent win in years.

...of course a Brook loss sends everything down the shitter, but if Khan thinks he has the beating of Bud Crawford surely he thinks he sails past Kell Brook.

10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

all valid points, but if Khan takes on Brook and beats him why wouldn't be in line for one of those welterweight belts afterwards?

Why wouldn't he be in line for a title shot? Because he's an unranked fighter for the most part (top 10), who would have beaten a fighter even further from the top 10 than he is! 

Take away the Sky promotional machine that would undoubtedly convince thousands of British punters to pay top dollar to watch this fight and what do you have? You have two welters outside the top ten squaring off. Nothing more.

you think his stock goes down after beating Kell Brook in the early parts of this year whilst also pocketing a boat load of money? Khan just scraped by a Samuel Vargas and got a World Title shot. Brook would be his most relevent win in years.

His stock doesn't go down, but it doesn't really go up, does it? I mean, who is Kell Brook in the grand scheme of things? He's no one.

He's getting this title shot because Crawford's team couldn't come to an agreement with Danny Garcia for one reason or another. Khan has found himself being still relevant enough a name with an exciting style in the right place at the right time. The stars have aligned to provide him with this (most likely last) shot at beating a top fighter and winning a title.

Again, I've said this a thousand times, you don't pass up on these chances unless you think you're well past it, in which case you're probably better off out of the sport altogether.

of course a Brook loss sends everything down the shitter, but if Khan thinks he has the beating of Bud Crawford surely he thinks he sails past Kell Brook.

Honestly, Khan thinks he's a few levels above Brook at the moment, and he's probably right. 

Edited by David

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, David said:

Honestly, Khan thinks he's a few levels above Brook at the moment, and he's probably right. 

based on what? when was the last time he beat anyone of real note? 

Edited by Egg Shen