Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh Tyson and Tommy have different mothers, sure Tommy's mother is from Gibraltar or Spain. Tommy's a bit of a dish and they are clearly trying to capitalize on his looks. A Fury interview on the BT youtube channel pre-fight was titled 'Tommy Fury does an interview in his pants' or something similar, shameless.

I was so behind on the fights over Christmas. I did get to see the full Sky show though which was good, felt the second point deduction cost Chisora because he got angry and probably assumed he had fallen behind on the cards, if he'd kept his composure he'd have won it or at least got a draw.

Warrington/Frampton was spoiler on Xmas Eve for me in the pub which sucked, seemed a hell of a fight though. What a year for Warrington. Martin Murray cost me on a 7 fight acca for £120 though off £1.80. I had 4 underdog bets come in on the slip and Murray cost me as the favorite, fuck sake.

Anyways, looks like DeGale/Eubank Jr. is being announced tomorrow to headline PBC's first UK card on ITV in February.

I see Frank Warren has announced that Sam Bowen will defend his British super featherweight title against Ronnie Clark next month. 

Clark is the Scottish fighter who upset Zelfa Barrett in February of last year to win the IBF European super featherweight title only months after serving a nine month stint for putting software on his ex's phone that would track her every move.

Most recently he's been in the headlines for punting his aforementioned IBF title belt because he had no money to buy his kids Christmas presents after seeing three fights fall through last year.

Personal issues aside, he's a hell of a boxer and this should be a good fight.

• Paid Members

I remember really enjoying that Zelfa Barrett fight. Didn’t know all the backstory on Clarke. 

Saw a bit of an IFL interview with Eddie Hearn. I didn’t watch the whole thing as it’s NINETY fucking minutes and I don’t want to hear anyone speak for that long. Caught a bit on the PPV clash thing though and he said this Eubank vs DeFail thing on ITV is going to clash with a Warren BT card in Feb. Warren’s probably going to actually burst on his next IFL interview. Do me a favour! 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah same. Just splits the audience and it really is the same audience. It’s not like when we’ve seen Boxing vs MMA clashes. There’s clearly overlap there with the fanbases but both sports also have their own hardcore audience. With this it’s all Boxing. Everyone would’ve had a preference one way or the other but in general the people who watched Whyte vs Chisora would’ve also had an interest in Warrington vs Frampton and vice versa. It’s counterproductive in the long run and either way they’d have both lost some of their audience that night. 

In this case in February though, Hearn and Sky aren’t even involved. It’s a BT vs ITV clash this time. Although that’s probably just more of a genuine scheduling clash than straight up competing/trying to sabotage the other show’s success. Warren was on about doing Fury vs Wilder 2 the same night as Joshua’s Wembley fight in April as well. I think he’s almost certainly grandstanding but it’s getting really silly this tit-for-tat shite. 

Il be very suprised if Fury Wilder 2 happens next. Fury has no reason to fight him really. He’l have a tick over fight or 2 until Wilder fights Joshua then fight the winner. The fans are down on Joshua at the moment, he needs Wilder or Fury more than they need him. Fury is a smart man, he’l wait. He dont have two gruelling fights on the trot, plus he needs a break. Let them two clowns fight before the King comes and embarrasses the winner.  

8 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

Il be very suprised if Fury Wilder 2 happens next. Fury has no reason to fight him really. He’l have a tick over fight or 2 until Wilder fights Joshua then fight the winner. The fans are down on Joshua at the moment, he needs Wilder or Fury more than they need him. Fury is a smart man, he’l wait. He dont have two gruelling fights on the trot, plus he needs a break. Let them two clowns fight before the King comes and embarrasses the winner.  

I'm sure Fury would like a rematch actually. His name's a hell of a lot bigger in the States after that bullshit decision and if he wins the rematch then he could do massive numbers with a big Wembley show against Joshua. Then there's the cross promotion where he can get a bigger slice of the purse just for fighting win or lose, never mind the personal pride in trying to get revenge for the loss. You leave it too long people will forget how he should've won it.

10 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Il be very suprised if Fury Wilder 2 happens next. Fury has no reason to fight him really. He’l have a tick over fight or 2 until Wilder fights Joshua then fight the winner.

I'll be even more surprised if that happens. You strike when the iron is hot, my friend. 

All it takes is a solid build to Joshua vs Wilder and Fury will quickly become the odd man out, same as Joshua is now. And what if one of those "tick over" fights results in a loss? Or even a bad performance?

It's generally believed that Fury, as great as he is, tends to fight to the level of his opponents. I mentioned that when we were heading towards the Wilder fight and people were mentioning his previous two performances after his comeback. All it takes is a shaky performance against a chump and he's out of the picture.

• Paid Members

Yeah Fury definitely fights to the level of his opponent. When he’s in with someone who poses no threat you can see he’s taking the piss a bit in there. We saw that with his lacklustre comeback fights last year. But he really ups his game when he’s in with someone who he deems capable of beating him if he’s not on point. He proper stepped it up a few gears in both the Klitschko and Wilder fights. His two toughest opponents and they were his two best career performances. It’s absolute bullshit that he didn’t officially get the W on the latter.