Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

On 1/6/2019 at 7:25 PM, Egg Shen said:

The one thing here i don't agree with is the feeling here that Brook is some kind of domestic level Welterweight and that Khan's way above his level.

Brook isn't a domestic-level fighter quite yet, but the fight is a domestic level fight really, isn't it? I doubt we'd see many tuning in from outside the UK to see it.

Khan may have more name recognition in the States and that's why he's nabbed the Crawford bout but Khan hasn't held a version of the World Title in six years, Brook was a World Champion until May of 2017. Also gotta remember, Brook won the belt from Shawn Porter in America! Arguably a better win that anything on Khan's record.

Makes you wonder why Brook isn't getting the calls that Khan is then, doesn't it? The Brook vs Khan fight will be a decent little scrap, but when it does happen it kind of signifies that both of them are on the downward slide a bit, doesn't it? It's the kind of fight you see when all of the bigger options are exhausted.

Brook could prove doubters wrong and be a World Champion again before Khan. 

He probably could, as I don't think it'll be long before Amir calls it a day. I get the feeling that once he figures his opportunities at world level are done he'll take the Brook fight then retire.

• Paid Members

But a domestic level fight is surely looked at as a fight between two guys who couldn't find beyond british title level at that point in time. Its a world class level fight that would take place in the UK...well it would be if it happened now, because the general perception both could be significantly different depending on how the year pans out.

away from that but still talking Wembley, Eddie Hearn hinted on a recent IFL interview that if Brook/Khan or an AJ fight didnt materialise for April 13th, they had 1 more option for Wembley, what the hell could that be?

oh, and Joe Rogan had Kelly Pavlik on his show, should be a good listen/watch:

Edited by Egg Shen

4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

away from that but still talking Wembley, Eddie Hearn hinted on a recent IFL interview that if Brook/Khan or an AJ fight didnt materialise for April 13th, they had 1 more option for Wembley, what the hell could that be?

Canelo vs Callum Smith?

But I presume that AJ vs Whyte will go ahead as planned. 

I watched bits of the Pavlik interview. It's been a while since Pavlik has crossed my mind. So a lot of the information that he revealed was fresh, even though I probably read about it at the time. I thought he was older than 36 as well. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, if it’s fallen through again then it’s got to be Fury vs Wilder 2 surely.

Sad thing is it’ll probably be in America again. With Wilder’s dad as the referee and his nan, grandad and wife as the judges. Unless Fury can stop him, he’s probably not winning even if he dominates every round as they’ll no doubt already have the scorecards written up the night before. I get that they probably make more money doing it in America but I’m really hoping they can somehow get it over here. 

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, David said:

I'm guessing that any last ditch attempts to make the Wilder/AJ fight hasn't worked then? Makes me think we'll see Fury get that rematch he wanted.

if Hearn is to be believed Wilder's team aren't responding to their calls. Stuff coming out today now that Whyte has recieved an offer to fight Joshua on April 13th but is claiming the money is less than he got for Chisora and wont be taking it. That leaves Big Baby but Hearn has said if that fight takes place it would be in America. Its all abit of a mess.

• Paid Members

Surely Joshua’s got to headline Wembley. They’ve already booked it and I know Hearn’s claiming he’s got a secret Plan B but for the life of me I can’t think of anything not involving Joshua that a) fills Wembley and b) lines up timing wise. What else can it be? Whyte vs someone isn’t a Wembley headliner and Usyk isn’t ready (as a name not a fighter obviously) for that kind of stage. Even a Canelo or GGG, unless they’re in a fight people are really into, one of them filling Wembley with 80-90,000 is very ambitious. I thought the talk of Khan vs Brook headlining Wembley was a stretch too. Sure all these fights could top Wembley card but they’d surely have to curtain parts of the stadium off to hide empty seats. 

Ideally it’d have been AJ vs Wilder or Fury. But it seems that’s too much to ask. Feels like it’s never going to happen or if it does, it’ll be too late when one/all of them are past their best.

I don’t think this mysterious Plan B of Hearn’s actually exists. There’s nothing else it can be but AJ vs someone. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I saw rumblings of Wlad coming out of retirement but didn’t even think of him for Wembley. Maybe he’s the backup plan Fast Eddie is all cloak and dagger about. 

Personally I’d rather not see Wlad come back. He went out in style in a great fight. He lost but it still felt like he went out on a high note. I think he could still beat a lot of the heavies around now. Even some of the top ones. I’d fancy him to beat Wilder all day. But I don’t know. A Klitschko comeback, I’m not feeling it. He turns 43 in March. He’s done it all and he walked away before it started getting sad watching him. I don’t really want to see him carry on until then. Mad cunt was actually on about trying to break George Foreman’s ‘oldest heavyweight champ’ record recently. That’d see him fighting until about 2022! 

Whichever way this all plays out, I just hope we see Joshua fight (and beat) either Whyte or Miller, and we see a decisive result from a Fury/Wilder fight, which opens the door for a bout that will unify the titles and crown the winning boxer as the lineal champion as well. 

It would be nice to have the line of succession sorted out again and we can move forward from there.

• Paid Members

Whyte/Wlad is out of leftfield isnt it. It doesn't scream Wembley Stadium though but Hearn has the venue booked so theres a show going on there April 13th whichever way he needs to make it happen.