The UKFF Betting Topic

John Amos

Sorry lads, rarely post on here these days. Here we go....

FAVOURITIES I THINK WILL WIN
Footpad
Buveir Dair
Apple's Jade
Samcro
Laurina
Un De Sceaux
Apple's Shakira

FAVOURITES I THINK WILL LOSE
Getabird
Altior
Douvan
Might Bite
Cause Of Causes

Now, firstly, get your Wellingtons out. It's going to be the worst ground in twenty years, so lots of horses at the head of the market need a check to see whether they go on heavy. Don't try and get too clever though. Lots of trials throughout the winter have been run on very soft ground too, so look for horses that have won well - particularly at Cheltenham's November and January meetings and Leopardstown over Christmas.

Secondly, put your bets on between 9-11 in a morning. This is traditionally when bookies enhance prices to attract custom. Shop around. Many will offer extra place terms or best odds. Coral are offering money back on the Supreme as a free bet up to 25 quid. Paddy Power are offering money back if the favourite wins on the first day. William Hill are paying double the odds on the Supreme (I think). Coral are offering faller insurance. After taking all that in, if you're going to back Getabird use William Hill - you'll get double the odds. If you fancy an outsider in the Supreme, use Coral. If you fancy something against any shortie then use Paddy Power. AND MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE PRICE. Many bookies will shorten the odds just before race time.

As for day one? I don't like Getabird, but don't know what will go on the ground as I've not looked properly. Kalashnikov won on soft but might not be good enough. I've backed Mengli Khan but think the ground has gone against it. Debuchet might not be the worst bet in the world at likely odds.

Footpad is a cert. As is Buveur Dair. As is Apple's Jade. That's your day one treble, pays about 4/1.

The 2.50 has been thrown wide open with the weather. Vintage Clouds is interesting, as is the horse with the French name trained by Venetia Williams but I forget what its called. The best bet in my opinion is Mr Whittaker in the 5.30. Its about 12/1. Won on Cheltenham trials day, acts of soft. Get the wheelbarrow out.

In the 4.50 look for an old boat that'll stay all day. 4 miles will be a shocker, expect only a handful to finish.

DAY ONE.

Mengli Khan with Corals (free bet worst case).
The Big Treble 4/1.
Vintage Clouds win.
French Horse each way.
Ms Parfois win.
Mr Whittaker win.

In case I don't post on here again before the end of the week, remember this for the Gold Cup. DO NOT BACK A HORSE WHO HAS FAILED IN THE RACE BEFORE. Apart from Kauto Star, they just don't win. If anyone backs Djakadam then I advice a white coat. Native River and Minella Rocco were 2nd and 3rd last year. All the stats point to Might Bite, but the ground has surely gone against him, although he is the best horse in the race. I'll take Road To Respect and Definitely Red. 10/1 and 16/1. You won't go badly wrong with those.

• Moderators

Tomorrows e/w 15. Ill be banging it on with my local independent bookie tomorro rather than the big names. I've gone for horses that like heavy going mainly. (fully aware that St.. CAlvados at 3s is Wooly level madness in an EW L15)

Screenshot_2018-03-12-18-51-25.png

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Just a bit of info that you can use or ignore. Our kid lives down there and went to a preview event last night. Sent me this. Similar to some of what @Max Power has said.

Just in case you are having a few bets today. I was at a preview night last night and this was some of the feedback/tips on the races. The jockeys and experts were rarely in agreement on some of the races so take your pick but hopefully it might have a few winners!

Supreme novices
Race is difficult to call.
Kalashnikov is best bet to win
Western Ryder, Slate House and Debuchet fancies as e/w chances.

Arkle Chase
Unlikely anything but Footpad will win.

Ultimate Handicap
Free for all race with no clear winner. Gold Present, Cogry and Shantou Flyer worth a punt.

Champion Hurdle
Buvear D’Air wins. Identity Thief (80/1) and Elgin an e/w bet. Stay away from Faugheen. The jockeys thought he was massively overrated.

Mares Hurdle
Apples Jade will likely win. La Bague Au Roi may push it but unlikely.

National Hunt
Rathvinden a good fav. Ms Parfois decent outsider and Mossback could be in with a shout too. Relatively open race.

Brothers Novice
Mister Whitaker being heavily backed. Testify outside chance.

I've gone with this. It won't win but worth an e/w shot at those odds:

image.png.cb7ebdbda53ef0edc71c5e1b193a863a.png

Edited by tiger_rick