The UKFF Betting Topic

John Amos

I work with the dad of a jockey who rides on the all weather - mostly at Southwell and Wolverhampton, the real dregs of racing. I'll not give his name in case Claire Balding is reading this.

Anyway, he'll give us a tip or two, if he's riding one that is fancied etc. The other weekend, Mr Jockey dad said that his lad has 3 rides are Lingfield. One is fancied, the other 2 can't win. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

50 quid placed on the 7/2 shot. This finishes 4th out of 7. The other two horses go unbacked. The first is 2nd at 20/1 and the second wins at 14/1.

The game is bent.

Butch.

With Don Poli ruled out of the Gold Cup, Empire Of Dirt may yet run. Hold onto those ante post vouchers my old friend.

There's a been a few interesting bits of news over the last few days. Moon Racer goes Champion Hurdle. Finian's Oscar is injured so Neon Wolf is now heavy favorite for the Neptune - further weakening the Supreme.

My predictions for Day One.

- Supreme. Can't have Melon. Once raced talking horse. Some massive outsider will win.

- Arkle. There's a horse called Altior who could do well.

- Champion. Yanworth is a solid favourite. Everything else has question marks. Footpad to run a big race.

- Mares Hurdle. If Mullins is running both Vroum Vroum Mag and Limini then that means he isn't over confident that either will do the job. Apples Jade is solid, but Jers Girl will do for me.

Any more?

Sorry I meant 6-1. Got about £255 back of a fiver. 

Barcelona looked mighty impressive and back to their best last weekend so had a feeling they might do the come back (not in those circumstances obviously). 

Didn't watch them today though with the loss. 

Butch.

With Don Poli ruled out of the Gold Cup, Empire Of Dirt may yet run. Hold onto those ante post vouchers my old friend.

There's a been a few interesting bits of news over the last few days. Moon Racer goes Champion Hurdle. Finian's Oscar is injured so Neon Wolf is now heavy favorite for the Neptune - further weakening the Supreme.

My predictions for Day One.

- Supreme. Can't have Melon. Once raced talking horse. Some massive outsider will win.

- Arkle. There's a horse called Altior who could do well.

- Champion. Yanworth is a solid favourite. Everything else has question marks. Footpad to run a big race.

- Mares Hurdle. If Mullins is running both Vroum Vroum Mag and Limini then that means he isn't over confident that either will do the job. Apples Jade is solid, but Jers Girl will do for me.

Any more?

A mixed bag this week.

Melon, Limini and Vroum Vroum all down was very good for me. Although having said a massive outsider would win the Supreme I backed the wrong one.

Yanworth was a tough pill to swallow, although Apples Jade was exquisite.

Douvan fractured his pelvis. Empire of Dirt ran in the wrong race. But Sizing John saved the day! My biggest bet of the week in the end. Although I actually finished £1.55 down. Scenes.

Remember next year, the golden rule. Do not back anything in the Gold Cup that has been beaten in the race before.

Roll on Aintree.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

With Spring unfolding and everything starting to look pretty, it must be time for the Masters!

for 361 days for the year, I'm not a Golf fan, but there's something about the Masters that gives me a warm feeling inside and I massively look forward to it each year. Augusta is always a joy to look at and the silky tones of Peter Alliss are akin to being rocked to sleep via lullaby. 

I've done my usual spread of bets of a couple of quid each. I'm just wondering if there's any budding tipsters out there (Cough, Stylin' and Profilin') who may have some proper insight or some red hot tips. Any would be most welcomed. 

Enjoy, motherfuckers! 

It's the Grand National on Saturday. Statistically, the winner will be:

- Aged 9, 10 or 11.

- Won over at least 3 miles.

- Placed in 'National' previously (Scottish national, Welsh National etc).

- Not have failed miserably in the race before.

Not got the final declarations yet so will have another look tomorrow.