Paid Members FLips Posted August 12 Paid Members Posted August 12 54 minutes ago, BomberPat said: there's a Top Tip that particularly appealed when I was living in Jersey; "Holiday money saving tip: feel like you have spent a fortnight in Guernsey, by spending a weekend in Guernsey". There's one issue years ago that, back-to-back, had "Big Daddy vs. ISIS", drawn in the style of the "serious" WW2 strips I'd always skip over in any old comic, with at one point Daddy surviving a failed parachute jump and explaining, "you learn how t'fall in t'grappling game, lad", followed by "Marcel Proust's Magical Memory Cakes". That's the perfect balance for me - niche and dated reference brought really jarringly up-to-date, followed by a high-brow reference watered down to a single daft gag. There's another letter I loved, asking how historians can know for a fact that the body in Hitler's bunker was really Hitler, because "it could have been Blakey from On The Buses, or the bloke out of Sparks". I read one of Barney Farmer's books, Coketown a few years back. Absolutely bleak as anything, but really good. He wrote a Drunken Bakers book as well, and I just can't bring myself to read it. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted August 12 Paid Members Posted August 12 When I was a kid, my cousin brought me a stack of Viz mags. I enjoyed them but I was puzzled as to why there were pages missing and bits cut out. Turned out, they were hand me downs from her boyfriend who was in prison and the warders had "Censored" them. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted August 12 Paid Members Posted August 12 I probably first read my older brother's Viz collection when I was aged about 11, and Johnny Fartpants, Buster Gonad and Spoiled Bastard were about the funniest things I've ever read. I can remember being in tears at a particular strip where Buster used his massive knackers to help someone drowning in the sea. Quote
CAREBEAR LUVVA Posted August 12 Posted August 12 I always remember one issue calling Minnie Driver (one for the "people who used to be everywhere" thread) a "coat hanger-faced singing hexagon". Googled it just now and found the exact page, but have absolutely no memory of the complete article. Laughed so hard I had to stop reading to take a breather. "PC World false alarm favourite" is a fucking stunning line. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted August 12 Paid Members Posted August 12 Honestly, I think it says a lot about changing times that I can't see Viz doing something like that in 2026, @CAREBEAR LUVVA. I think Viz is incredible, and only been getting better if anything. I've been thinking recently about how silliness is funnier when there's hard work behind it, and Viz is a perfect example of that. It's the details of things like a 'grilled bread special' with the headline 'WE AIN'T AFRAID OF NO TOAST!'. I also loved Tony Slattery's Phony Cattery, and that he liked it as well was lovely. My favourite recent one, which I can't find online yet, was The Notorious B.I.G.G.L.E.S, where Biggy gets transported back to WWI, before being assassinated by a descendent of the Red Baron. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted August 12 Moderators Posted August 12 (edited) 2 hours ago, Chris B said: Honestly, I think it says a lot about changing times that I can't see Viz doing something like that in 2026, @CAREBEAR LUVVA. There's no satire or irony to it. It's just sexist humour; doesn't do it for me. They've got loads of great stuff though so glad they're able to move with the times. Edit: also you can't convince me it wasn't intentional to use a picture of June Sarpong where you can only see her teeth. So, racist as well. Edited August 12 by Chest Rockwell Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted August 12 Paid Members Posted August 12 It could probably be argued that it's satirising the FHM Hundred Sexiest countdown, but yeah it is a misstep. Quote
lars85 Posted August 12 Posted August 12 (edited) The Diary Of Samuel L Pepys is still one of my favourites. "Fine bitches indeed" The Reddit link isn't working. But just Google The diary of Samuel L Pepys and it's one of the first results. Edited August 12 by lars85 Quote
HandsomeButchIII Posted August 13 Posted August 13 (edited) Davey Jones is God. I wish I had 5% of his hilarity in me, then I'd be the second funniest man in the world by some distance. Actually, I'd be third, after whoever came up with this. Does anybody else still own a copy of Enrazzlement? Those chair and piano legs looking like sleek ankles made me marvellously tumescent. I had to take a tincture of laudanum so I didn't get the vapours. Edited August 13 by HandsomeButchIII Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted August 13 Paid Members Posted August 13 Enrazzlement? The periodical that effects tumescence in the male generative member? I remember the year they did the calendar. It was amazing. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted September 30 Paid Members Posted September 30 S2I think the bleak strips are a genuine work of art. And, at times, feels like an acknowledgement of the ways capitalism makes life harder for people. It hits a reality that I really don't see portrayed elsewhere. Which is a warning over this strip, Fixed Odds Betty, that was shared on Reddit today. It has ruined my day and yet I find it incredibly funny. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.