Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Another fun Dynamite/Collision, although the tribute to Ted Turner turning into a tribute to Tony Khan was a bit weird/inappropriate.

I was very excited to see Okada announce his intention to win the World title, only to feel deflated at the prospect of it happening next week in a seemingly predictable match, given the set-up for hair vs title.

That said, I’d absolutely love it if this was a red herring, and Okada wins next week, eventually leading to Okada/Ospreay at All In. Perhaps MJF could help him, in order to get out of the hair match, but also in return for a title shot. Maybe you do this after the contract signing to make it even more unexpected.

You could then have Tony Khan announce that MJF will still have to compete in the hair match against Darby, as he’d signed the contract, even if there’s no title on the line.

Shida continued to be my favourite character in AEW, even if it’s hard to explain why Statlander would be going along with this (unless she turns heel herself which, I’d argue, she should) 

Moxley/Juice was surprisingly good even if the outcome was obvious. I’d like to see them do more with the Bang Bang Gang, they absolutely piss charisma and the fact they’re almost a lower card act is a shame.

Swerve/Bandido should be a cracking match, but I hope to fuck the ROH title isn’t on the line when they eventually wrestle. 

I’m really enjoying the tag title scene right now, and I’m still crossing my fingers for a FTR/C&C/Bucks TLC or ladder match at All In. 

I do have one gripe and it’s nice to be able to sum that up in one word now: ‘Jericho’.

Having said that, I’ll add a bit more - the current comedy character he’s playing is really weak. I can only assume this is his final run, so there’s a great opportunity for him to play up to that, with people like Ricochet looking to end it before it’s even started. And Ricochet has no hair. So what? There’s not exactly a social stigma around that, and given the choice I think most people would favour the image Ricochet has going on than Jericho’s mid-life crisis cut. 

I’m sure I’ll still enjoy Stadium Stampede, though.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Finding the majority of AEW really flat and lifeless at the moment. At the risk of sounding like one of those whoppers who parrot the nonsense of Bully Ray or Bischoff, it just feels like a lot of good matches happening for the sake of having good matches. I didn’t even bother sticking around for the third hour. I doubt I missed much.

It got me thinking, when was the last big angle in AEW? Have they had one this year? I wonder if the negative reaction to The Devil angle the last time MJF was Champion has spooked both Max and Tony Khan from taking big swings this time. Definitely feels like they’re consciously keeping it super simple and relying almost exclusively on Meat and Potato promos and matches.

Case in point; I was desperate for MJF to attack Santa Sting during that opening tribute to Ted Turner. I know AEW usually keep it classy when it comes to stuff like this, so likely wouldn’t have exploited it to do an angle, but imagine if MJF had violently attacked Sting? Drench that gorgeous white hair and beard in thick, red blood? Would’ve been awesome. Get some serious heat on MJF vs. Darby, creating a much better catalyst than the rubbish Hair vs. Title stipulation.

I don’t think much of Hair vs. Title. There’s no drama. The way they’re speed-running through title defences, it couldn’t be more obvious that Darby is a short-term Champion and Max is regaining the belt at the pay per view. Maybe they’ll surprise me, but they won’t.

Overall, the shows are still solid. The matches are invariably great. I’m just not hooked or gripped by anything right now.

The only true negative is Chris Jericho. Frankly amazing how quickly he’s returned to being a complete waste of time and space, leeching off everything and spamming shit catchphrases that aren’t as over as he thinks. Beyond sticking to the low-calorie options on the Wetherspoons menu in his absence, the only difference between when he left and now is that there a handful of new wrestlers for him to give The Dementor’s Kiss to. Of course he’d jump all over Ricochet’s, “bald,” thing and drill it into the ground. The List of Jericho is now just a list of wrestlers who’ve debuted in the last twelve months that he can milk dry. Tomasso Ciampa or Speedball likely the next victims. Or maybe he can feud with Copeland over who’s a bigger shell of their former selves.

Anarchy in the Arena/Stadium Stampede is my favourite new match type of the last decade. Absolutely gutting that they’re wasting it on this idiot and his shit feud. Fuck off!

Bloody hell! What a sulky, negative post this has turned into! Let’s end on a positive. Thank fuck.

IMG_6048.jpeg.5299190b7abc2b21b611c13ba34cbd57.jpeg

U OK, babes?

Edited by Supremo
  • Paid Members
Posted
7 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Bloody hell! What a sulky, negative post this has turned into! Let’s end on a positive. Thank fuck.

I feel like I should be in total agreement with you, but I’ve been enjoying each show. Every point you make is legitimate and I can’t argue with any of it. I’d definitely like more ‘big angles’ but the reality is I’m having fun with pretty much AEW show right now. Apart from Jericho, and the shameful neglect of the women’s division. Thekla is a far more interesting champion than any recent men’s world champ, she deserves better.

Posted

Watched for the 3rd week in a row and it does feel a little bit flat at the moment. Kind of feels like that post-WrestleMania period in WWE where they are just spinning plates. Putting out content just to fill time until a really big show is on the horizon.

Too many guys I just dont care about this week for the show to really hold my attention. The Dogs, Bryan Keith, AR Fox...

In particular, it is genuinely remarkable just how dead in the water Jericho is. Honestly can't believe he's just returned from one year off with THIS as his act. He loves to talk about how he's always reinventing himself to stay relevant but its been dud after dud for a while now. 

On the positive side, I think Darby's run of title defences continues to be really strong. Darby v PAC surely a great match for the weekend.

Double or Nothing looks a good card but then there's Forbidden Door on the horizon. I'm worried it will be even more flat for the build to that as who really cares about New Japan right now? It's so far removed from the 2010's glory period. Kind of wish we could just sack Forbidden Door off and have a focused and somewhat lengthy build to All In Wembley. I think the quality of the show would improve and maybe they would start to shift some tickets once the card came together. 

 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
8 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

On the positive side, I think Darby's run of title defences continues to be really strong. Darby v PAC surely a great match for the weekend.

I agree, and I’m much more interested in him doing this than setting up a rematch with MJF that feels designed for MJF to win. A rematch with PAC is more interesting. A title match with Okada is genuinely exciting and feels like it could lead to somewhere really cool. I’d be happier for Darby to keep going with this - or to lose to Okada - than go ahead with another MJF match.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Assuming MJF is going to win the belt back at the PPV (and it seems destined he will with the storyline being Darby being knackered by the time they get there) then surely, surely the thing you have Darby force him into wagering is the same "if you lose, you never ever get to challenge for the title again" stip Cody & Hangman have fallen victim to against MJF.

The hair stuff is weak as fuck, seemingly existing only to facilitate an "ooh, you got a hair transplant didn't you" reference. It's either that or the kind of transplant he got requires your to shave it all off after a couple of months to ensure it keeps growing properly or something.

The parade of "lumberjacks" for the Double Jeopardy match was really odd. It sort of made sense for Ciampa to come out with FTR (as the presumed trios partner if Dax had won) but why the fuck did The Dogs and the 2 lowest ranking members of the DCF just wander out with them too without explanation? (The real answer, I guess, was "We needed the heels to have numbers out there so C&C and the Bucks could be sent out out to counter them, and those blokes happened to be here")

Edit: Nick Jackson shouts "see ya" before doing a move at least 3 times a match. Once you notice, you can't unhear it.

Edited by Statto
See ya.
  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, kidzero said:

Anybody else having trouble logging into my aew on Chromecast or Amazon fire stick today.

Mine is working on the firestick.

Posted
48 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

As fun as the Collision ten man tags are, they already feel like TK's new 'money match' TV filler. 

I get what you mean, but honestly I’d still take these over random squash matches every week. At least the ten man tags keep the crowd involved and usually end up being pretty fun to watch.

Posted

I don't mind squash matches to break things up a little. Though I wish they would change it up a little. 

Already bored of Rush.

I'm enjoying Divine Dominion, much more. Probably because they are actually champions and not just being built up to put a champion over, which is almost certainly what is going on with Rush. . 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

I can never quite buy into when they push Rush, because every time they’ve done it up to now, it’s followed by him disappearing completely off TV for a couple of months. Then the cycle starts again. Maybe this time it will be different!

Posted

Watching Fairway to Hell - very interesting setup and look, but in the first half of the version on Triller you can make out the director or whoever prompting the commentators/Rene with cues, countdowns, reactions, etc. Amateur, but I found it pretty interesting!

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Very funny venue and a brilliantly bonkers Darby/Pac main event well worth checking out. I'm buzzing after that.

I'm enjoying this Darby Allin suicide run. Imagine getting thrown off a balcony while knowing you're going to get your ass kicked four days later by Takeshita!

Edited by LaGoosh

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...