Condiments, Sauces, and Storage

Lorne Malvo

The vessel inexplicably plays a part in our household.  Squeezy bottles live in the cupboard whether open or not, but jars (even if they're the exact same product, like mayo) live in the fridge once opened.  I'm not really a sauce person (though I so like to make Bisto purely to have it cold on sandwiches the next day) so it makes no difference to me, but the other half is super strict about it. 

• Paid Members

The simple rule is "is it in a fridge when you buy it?". If it's in a refrigerated bit of the supermarket, it goes in the fridge when it gets home. If it's not, it goes in a cupboard or on a shelf.

My girlfriend tends to put anything in a jar in the fridge once it's opened, even pickles and jams and things, which I've never seen a need for, but it's not a fight I'm going to have, as it doesn't usually affect the flavour or anything. But I'm not keen on having jam out of the fridge. 

I've always put mayo in the fridge. It just taste better to me chilled. As it has raw egg which is not longer in its protective shell I would assume it goes off fairly quickly in heat. It's probably alright in a dry cupboard but its not what I'm going to do. 

Anything with a vinegar base like Ketchup should be fine out of the fridge. Strangely I keep my mustard in the fridge. I have no real explanation for that one. 

Jams and sugar based things where the container is difficult to wipe go in the fridge but that's because the ants are an absolute bugger with the slightest bit of sweetness.

• Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

The simple rule is "is it in a fridge when you buy it?". If it's in a refrigerated bit of the supermarket, it goes in the fridge when it gets home. If it's not, it goes in a cupboard or on a shelf.

I'm struggling to think of any sauces that are in refrigerated parts of a supermarket.