Best Michael Jackson song

SuperBacon

• Members

Is this an impossible question?

I'd go with Human Nature myself.

He was the greatest wasn't he? Imagine everyone saying that disco is dead and then you open up your album with this: 

At one point on the Thriller album, the track sequence goes Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, Human Nature, PYT. Come on now.

Special mention to Dirty Diana as well which is great to belt along to.

I'm going to go with Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, the bass build in the intro right up to where it hits is so soooo good.

Honourable mentions to Leave Me Alone and Beat It. Never really fond of him after the Bad album era or his slower songs. I absolutely fucking detest You Are Not Alone.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Chili said:

Never really fond of him after the Bad album 

Bad was his peak for me. I was too young to properly appreciate Thriller at the time, so Bad was the big album of my childhood (which was, of course, linked to Moonwalker), and Smooth Criminal is probably my number one. Honourable mentions go to Leave Me Alone and the massively underrated Just Good Friends, although with the exception of Liberian Girl (AKA: Librarian Girl), Bad is just constant brilliance.

There are some good tracks post Bad, like Scream, but if you work your way backwards his catalogue is a goldmine.  My favourite from the Jackson 5 era is The Love You Save.

• Moderators

Black or White was my favourite shit when it came out. Loved everything about the video, my siblings and I would all get so hyped when it came on MTV. I still think the song is solid too.I

'm going to listen to some albums I haven't listened to in a while and come back with an actual answer to the question later.

• Members
18 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Black or White was my favourite shit when it came out. Loved everything about the video, my siblings and I would all get so hyped when it came on MTV

Just watched it again, it's absolutely fantastic. Everything a massive music video should be.

• Paid Members

Beat It is my definitive MJ song. Main thing I love about his music, and it's a principle that I try to follow in my own songwriting, is that most of his tracks are so distinctive in their melodies and/or rhythms, you could hum or tap them out and people would know exactly which one it was. 

His later output is sketchy; I agree You Are Not Alone is dogshit, though, as is Earth Song, and You Rock My World. They Don't Really Care About Us is a banger though.

This is also probably the thread to reveal that I'd never heard Liberian Girl until a few years ago and that was because I'd finally clocked that the song title didn't say LIBRARIAN Girl. You weren't alone @Surf DigbyFuck my life!

Edited by Chili

It's Man in the Mirror for me. I was a massive fan as a child and stopped listening after it became reeeeally obvious that he had an abnormal fixation with the kiddies. Since then I've discovered that Wagner was a wrong un too and have decided to just boycott music if the artist still profits from it. 

Honourable mentions to at least 15 other tracks.