• Paid Members

As someone who admittedly likes the RHCP (leave me alone), Mike Patton is cooler just in the music video for Epic than Anthony Keidis has ever been.

• Paid Members

I unashamedly like John Frusciante era RHCP (up to By The Way, and excluding the album he wasn't on in between). There's no getting around Kiedis being a complete cunt, but I can stomach his bad rapping much more than I can say Fred Durst.Ā 

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Well yeah, obviously. But why the comparison between those two specifically?

There has been an imaginary feud between the two for decades because Keidis feels that Patton was copying him in the video to Epic. Patton doesn't give a shit but Keidis is still bugged by him and got one of Patton's side projects - Mr Bungle - kicked off some festivals in the early 2000s

Edited by deathrey

Faith No More were pretty much the other biggest funk metal band not named RHCP or Living Colour, arguably hitting the mainstream outside of America first which I think is another thing that pissed off Kiedis.

Edited by Merzbow

• Moderators
6 hours ago, gmoney said:

I unashamedly like John Frusciante era RHCP

He's an excellent musician, some of his solo stuff is really great. I'm a big fan of "To Record Only Water for Ten Days" and "Shadows Collide with People", and his heroin era, immediately post RHCP, record "Niandra LaDes..." is off the wall but has moments of brilliance. His side project Ataxia is also really great. None of it sounding anything like RHCP.

• Moderators

I can't say i ever really put on a chilis album these days but I've got time for them. I listened to blood sugar sex magik a lot in my teens as well and I thought Californication was decent too.Ā  I think i might have been the only person in the crowd who enjpyed that set they did that one year at Reading that for really panned, where they just spent the whole time jamming and noodling. Very entertaining self indulgent musicianship, and lighter on the keidis. What's not to like?

On 6/23/2024 at 2:17 PM, gmoney said:

I unashamedly like John Frusciante era RHCP (up to By The Way, and excluding the album he wasn't on in between). There's no getting around Kiedis being a complete cunt, but I can stomach his bad rapping much more than I can say Fred Durst.Ā 

I couldn't agree more.

I *love* Frusciante Chili Peppers; even the two latest albums, Unlimited Love and Dream Canteen.

Dream Canteen in particular is a pure Frusciante Chili's fever dream. Almost like they let him lead on that album in return for him sticking to the more rigid pop rock formula of Unlimited Love.

I'm a huge Frusciante guy generally, and his album with Omar Rodriguez Lopez was pure music heaven for me. Seeing JF with the Chili's last year was utter heaven.Ā 

I really donā€™t want to go in to bat for these wrongā€™uns, but One Hot Minute has some decent tunes, and I like that Dave Navarro pushes them out of their comfort zone. Admittedly there is some absolute dreck like ā€œPeaā€ or whatever itā€™s called, but ā€œCoffee Shopā€ is miles better than anything they did after he left.Ā 

5 minutes ago, hallicks said:

I really donā€™t want to go in to bat for these wrongā€™uns, but One Hot Minute has some decent tunes, and I like that Dave Navarro pushes them out of their comfort zone. Admittedly there is some absolute dreck like ā€œPeaā€ or whatever itā€™s called, but ā€œCoffee Shopā€ is miles better than anything they did after he left.Ā 

Not having this at all.

Navarro was a meathead hair rocker bringing out everyone's worst instincts. It needs an iconoclastic, hippy spacecake like Frusciante to make it interesting.*

And yes, it goes without saying, Kiedis is a whopper.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

*This opinion may be coloured by my utter hatred of Jane's Addiction.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

WHY DONT YOU ALL FUCK OFF AND START A CHILI PEPPERS THREAD!!!

Because I like my discussion about popular Funk rock interspersed with posts about animated comedies on Twitter.

That's the true spirit of the JFC thread. If that makes you angry, well then more's the better.

Slappa da bass.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

15 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Not having this at all.

Navarro was a meathead hair rocker bringing out everyone's worst instincts. It needs an iconoclastic, hippy spacecake like Frusciante to make it interesting.*

And yes, it goes without saying, Kiedis is a whopper.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

*This opinion may be coloured by my utter hatred of Jane's Addiction.

Depends what you like. One guitarist went on to do ā€œJust becauseā€ and the other one did ā€œThe Zephyr songā€ and I know which one I prefer.Ā