EURO 2024

Weezenal

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, air_raid said:

The flags get put away tonight lads. Can’t wait.

Can I shock you? I like England, despite what I said earlier.

I actually got to watch tonight, most of the first half from about 2 minutes before the penalty was awarded, until the end. Delighted that they’ve apparently been shit all tournament but decent to watch tonight.

• Paid Members

This is the best they've been all tour ament, but kind of worrying that they had to go a goal behind before they found that gear. Although in the second half it felt like they took their foot off the gas a bit. 

Sunday has the potential to be an entertaining game depending on how England are set up. I have a feeling it'll either be dull and close, or one-sided Spanish domination. 

There's one lucky bloke in the pub who got England and Spain in the sweepstake. We're still making him wait until Sunday to get his winnings, though. 

In other sweepstake news somebody got Austria and Hungary, to which my reaction was "if this had been a hundred years ago you'd only have needed to buy one envelope to get that." 

46 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

but kind of worrying that they had to go a goal behind before they found that gear.

Dont think thats quite fair to say is it, I mean they only scored in the 7th minute so not exactly much time to really get into the game yet and if anything that goal was actually against the early run of play as we had started fairly well prior to the goal.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, AshC said:

I don't understand how anyone can think VAR makes football better. Some will go for you, some will go against. It's just another layer of admin.

Some people like admin, especially when you get a penalty.

• Paid Members

A penalty that shouldn’t have been given, a second half that we should have conceded again, a heartbreaking late winner….?

image.gif.565e6402a40a050769bd5849fae8f178.gif

17 hours ago, AshC said:

I don't understand how anyone can think VAR makes football better. Some will go for you, some will go against. It's just another layer of admin.

While VAR certainly has its negative aspects, any system that stops incredibly bad refereeing decisions like the Hand of God goal or Frank Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany has to be looked on favourably. It's hardly any consolation to the players involved to say "it's ok lads, in the next World Cup we'll get a bad decision go in our favour. You might not be in the team then, but never mind eh?"

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tamura said:

any system that stops incredibly bad refereeing decisions like the Hand of God goal or Frank Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany has to be looked on favourably. 

This one always make me laugh a little. I know games turn on moments but I genuinely don’t think that goal standing would have influenced the result of a game in which Müller, Özil and Khedira absolutely took the piss out of a rotten England side in both halves. I think 2-2 at half time there’s more chance of us losing 6-2 in the second half than making it to full time level or better.

EDIT -

For the quizzers, we’ve got some answers to questions set up now. Having already been the first man to manage England to three semi finals of major tournaments, Gareth Southgate is the first man to manage England to any two major finals, two Euros finals, and two consecutive Euros finals. And Harry Kane is the first Englishmen to net in two semi finals of major tournaments, of two Euros and two consecutive Euros, and will be the first man to captain England to the associated finals.

No pressure, Luke.

Edited by air_raid

• Awards Moderator

I’m frigged on Sunday. I’ve watched very little of this tournament and hoped to keep it that way. My main focus has been the Copa America, because, you know, standards and quality and big fights and all that.

Anyway, my mates called my bluff about a weekend away back in May and I thought the only consequence would be pink arms and consecutive hangovers, but now I’m going to be in Benidorm for the final.

I can either side with the Spaniards as I want to - but not be believed by the locals and end up covered in Paella and bruises - or I can cheer on my amigos in an English-sided boozer and get my head kicked in by Lee, Gary and the usual morons.

I might just go full-on Jay Slater to avoid the whole debacle.