32 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Telegraph et al. reporting that Sunak is expected to resign. What's the benefit of this? The country has given him the sack. Is this just a "You can't fire me, coz I QUIT!" storm-off?

He has to resign as Prime Minister, that's a part of the post-election day process. The PM goes to the Monarch, resigns and then the new PM pops up to the Palace and the monarch asks them to fill the vacancy and form a government.

So, there's nothing new there.

It's also unsurprising that he'll resign as Tory leader, as he just lead them to their worst ever defeat. That, if not mandatory like the above, is completely unsurprising.

Unless the BBC are reporting he'll resign as an MP, which would be mad given he'd said all along he wouldn't, then I think there's nothing to see here.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Just seen that Starmers vote in his seat halved from 36,000 in 2019 to 18,000 in 2024. Wes Streeting won his by 500 votes.

Landslide though.

Edited by SuperBacon
500 votes not seats. I hope Corbyn is having a great morning

I'm not a Lib Dem supporter but fair play to Ed Davey. He recognised that the party would benefit from having a character at the helm, and his daft campaign established that. It would also have been easy for them to disappear during the campaign amidst a crowded field of more "interesting" stories and a strong Tories Out narrative. It was also a big, career defining gamble. If he'd failed to take advantage of a crumbling Conservative party, dicking around with stunts throughout the campaign would have left him looking like a fool. Its an astonishing result for them. 

Utter disaster for the SNP. I remember decades ago I seen Alex Salmond in our town centre handing out leaflets. His party had about 6 seats then and in the time I was watching him he was completely ignored, its almost as if he was invisible. One of the last times I met him was after an event, as during the event the crowds were 10 deep and you couldn't get near him, he was Kim Jong Un. To think that the SNP have been on the journey they've been on and back to single figures again is quite astonishing, but most definitely deserved. They're attempting to spin the narrative that they've been collateral damage in an anti Tory Tsunami but it's a lot more than that. Their record in Government has been dismal and off the pitch it's been a complete circus. 

There have been some pleasing results, but I just can't get over the personal tragedy of Jonathan Ashworth losing his seat. Over a decade in opposition, front and centre in the campaign and when it's finally time to get his grubby mitts on a Government job he loses out to an Independent. He's been preparing his whole life for this and it's gone. 

• Members

Breaks it down quite well and she's lovely so there is that as well.

Just over 4 million votes for Reform, and for a party that really only has one policy, this could be a massive problem next time.

Hopefully it's just a reaction to the Tory shitshow and Sunak (I reckon their vote share wouldn't be half as big as it was if Johnson was leading the Tories still) but 4 million people have voted for them, and like it or not, this needs to be addressed. 

I do feel a big push for reform comes from Farage and I doubt he'll be a good constituency MP. He'll inevitably get a disproportionate amount of media coverage and almost treated like a leader of the opposition but if he gets bored and fucks off I think a part of the cult of personality will lead to a smaller share in the future. It all depends on if he really sees this as a long term project and is going to be a big presence going forwards into 2029 or further elections. I think he was hoping for a Tory wipeout along the lines of the 40 seats they were predicted at times recently to swoop in as a saviour. Time will tell how that goes I suppose.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Breaks it down quite well and she's lovely so there is that as well.

Just over 4 million votes for Reform, and for a party that really only has one policy, this could be a massive problem next time.

Hopefully it's just a reaction to the Tory shitshow and Sunak (I reckon their vote share wouldn't be half as big as it was if Johnson was leading the Tories still) but 4 million people have voted for them, and like it or not, this needs to be addressed. 

As a point of reference, I just looked it up and 3.9m people voted for UKIP under Farage in 2015.

• Paid Members

À friend in the civil service had a feeling Sunak was on his way out as his wife and kids live in California now. He'll be off to play house husband in nicer weather. 

• Paid Members

Almost a million fewer people voted for Labour than in 2019. Fewer people voted for Lib Dems than in 2019. Makes the gains by Reform and Greens even more of a story.

I may not like Reform, but a system where they can get half a million more votes than the Lib Dems, but 67 fewer seats, is a very broken system.

Pulled an all-nighter watching everything unfold and it was a very satisfying evening. I had Rees-Mogg and Truss as my two hopes they’d lose their seats so very happy to see them go, even if I missed seeing Truss go live in the end after tapping out at 6:30 to at least get some sleep in before they started sound checking ahead of the gig in Finsbury Park later (which they did at 10). The Reform projection at the exit poll was a bit worrying but was glad to see that recede as the night went on, even if it still meant the bigger cunts still got in.

Really surprised just how close some of the races were. Labour getting within 3,000ish of Kemi Badenoch was very unexpected given how Tory the area is and has always been (it’s where I grew up) but at the other end I wasn’t expecting some of them to be squeezed so much.

Happy to see the Greens pick up some seats and Jeremy Corbyn keeping his seat with a decent majority brought a really big smile to my face. I walked through his constituency on the way to the shops yesterday and the number of people out with Vote Corbyn t-shirts drumming up support and normies wearing Vote Corybn stickers was amazing. He’d always been very popular locally despite the pelters he got nationally so it was really nice to see people rally round him.

I’ll leave it to Mr. Lister Sir to give the proper analysis of why things played out like they did but I image the low turnout had a fairly big impact and helped boost the impact of the Reform vote given Labour’s vote share didn’t really change since 2019. It’ll be interesting to see how that changes in five years time but for now I’m just going to enjoy seeing the Tories getting a kicking and treat myself to a celebratory play of George Square Thatcher Death Party by Mogwai.   

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

One interesting point was that under Corbyn was that the vote share was the worst in Labour history, so based on the results last night, does this mean Starmer is the second worst Labour leader? 

Their vote share under Corbyn wasn't their worst, the number of seats was the lowest post WWII.

Corbyn won more votes than Starmer so it's my misunderstanding,.but it's interesting that he got more votes but wayyyy less seats. FPTP I feel has had it's day now, but whilst the big 2 to and fro with big wins, it's unlikely anything will change as they won't want to risk losing their grips on power.